“Bad Experience - Inexcusable”

On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #176 of 749 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We ate here today - waited at the front door for at least five minutes. Finally, this really nice retired Navy guy, bless his heart, went back and asked for help - we got service then. He was very nice and we joked about it; still I was not at all amused. We both had their Grande Taco Salad and my wife added a taco. We also had their Grande Fajita Nachos with Chicken, as an appetizer which I liked. She also ended the meal with Sopapillas and honey. The portions were very generous and she boxed the extra food.

We eat here frequently because its a place she likes - me, not so much. We did have an exceptional waitress after all and the food was fresh and generally well prepared, it was also very promptly delivered and they were apologetic and took half off our appetizer - but after today's treatment - if left to my own decision it will be a long time if ever before I return. In fairness to them we've eaten here frequently over the years and this has never happened so perhaps it was an anomaly. Nevertheless, I consider it unprofessional, inexcusable, and offensive not to mention totally inefficient and a really poor reflection on their business and management effectiveness. Regrettably, we will return as it is one of my wife's favorite places to eat.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nothing special here. Not our first choice for Mexican food. Food has nothing distinguishable in flavor to bring me back. Just another chain restaurant.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The homemade tortillas are YUMMY. They will even give the kids a "masa (dough)" ball to play with. Also, they are quick to serve food.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Ate here just now - food was average service was good - we had an excellent waiter. However, food was very slow in arriving. Also the food was just ok when it did arrive. Yes it's a chain but they need to step up their game and meet their franchise standards. My dish was over cooked and the black beans were very dry. My wife's fajitas were average. I don't recommend this place based upon my last several visits.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have never waited tables or ran a restaurant in my life, but it doesn’t seem like rocket science. Because I travel for a living and my wife and I don’t like to cook all the time, I find myself at restaurants a few times a week. The places we tend to frequent are those that offer a welcoming environment and GREAT service. If I were ever to wait tables I would make every one of my customers feel like my best friend – as if they were my only table. If I ever ran a restaurant, I would make sure the place is at an acceptable temperature and that the staff smiled a lot. Again – it isn’t rocket science…is it?

Just visited the On The Border Grill at Southlands on a weeknight around 6:30PM. We found a seat in the bar area because we like to watch the comings and goings in that part of restaurants, plus there are TVs there to keep up with news or sports. The place wasn’t very busy, which made us wonder why our waitress took so long to get our drinks and our food order. It must have been 65 degrees in there and despite our repeated complaints, the temperature never changed. When we expressed our complaint to the waitress and she said “you think it’s cold? I think it feels just fine.” Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn what you think or feel…we’re THE CUSTOMER and we were freezing!!! I don’t think the waitress smiled once and gave me the sense that we were interfering with her day. Note to all wait staff out there: THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO GET A GOOD TIP OR REPEAT CUSTOMERS!!!
Let’s talk about personal appearance for a minute – the bartender – who never even bothered looking over to the bar area to acknowledge people had very long hair held up on top with a rubber band and an scraggly goatee – did not give me a sense of cleanliness. Again – not a good formula for success.

The food wasn’t that great, although my wife’s margarita was pretty tasty as was my Coors Light in a frosty glass. I would have ordered another one, but by the time the waitress got around to noticing I was on empty my desire had passed.

All in all – a less than overwhelming experience – except for the cold…that was overwhelming!