“This is THE Denver hotel in which to stay!”

Best Western Plus Gateway Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Aurora
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“This is THE Denver hotel in which to stay!”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I live in Texas and my "gentleman friend" lives in Wyoming. He had several meetings at some medical centers in the Denver/Aurora area the week I was on Spring Break, so we agreed to meet. After checking out Trip Advisor reviews for other inns and hotels, this one came across as the best - and we were not disappointed!

Staff was friendly, courteous (always a major plus) and knowledgeable. The room - a king suite, very large and comfortable - was made up early every day at our request, always with fresh towels - very clean. The pool and hot tub were spotless - extremely important - and pool towels are provided. The lobby is a spacious atrium in a Greco-Roman decor, and is quite lovely. The business center (although small with one computer and one printer) was available anytime by getting the key at the front desk, and had everything I needed. In fact, so many inns don't have business centers, and so this was another definite plus!

The breakfast is the best I've ever had in an inn of this size and price - scrambled eggs (not those frozen pattie eggs), bacon or sausage, fresh juice, milk, assored cereals including instant oatmeal, bagels, toast, waffles, coffee and an assortment of flavored teas. The food is very good and there is plenty of it and the young lady who ran the dining room was also extremely polite.

On some evenings, there is a "cocktail hour" which consists of beer, wine and some munchies. If you're expecting a huge bar with mixed drinks and hot items, go somewhere else. The cocktail hour spread, though small, was certainly more than you get in many hotels of this size, and was very nice at the end of the day.

By the way - the fresh Spunkmeyer cookies in the lobby every afternoon are such a pleasant touch.

The hotel is very close to any shopping you may need - from Sam's Club to Barnes & Nobel. Walgreen's are everywhere for those little things you need. Access from the hotel to major highways is easy. And even though the hotel faces a major freeway, the rooms are very quiet.

While in Denver, we drove up to Idaho Springs for Pizza at BeauJoes, and the drive was incredible. We also visited the Denver Mint. Our trip to the Air Force Academy was another gorgeous drive - we saw the parade formation the day we were there, and the tour of the chapel was wonderful.

I've never been to Denver and I've never seen mountains, so the trip was great. What made the trip outstanding was not having to worry about anything at the hotel.

The next time we meet in Denver, it will be here. Don't forget to ask for your military, AAA or AARP discount.

Thanks to the Best Western Gateway Inn and Suites for a wonderful, relaxing, worry-free Spring Break. The only difficult thing was leaving - I wanted to stay!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Pa
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I am a Best Western Gold Crown Member, therefore had accumulated enough points for a free night. When I called to book at Best Western Reservations, it was the same amount of points for a regular room as it was for the best room of the house if it was available!! Lucky for us, it was! (So I highly recommend becoming a Best Western Member...I am also a choice priviledges member and they aren't nearly as accomdating!) The king suite was awesome for a hotel room! The jacuzzi was in the another adjoining room. The sink and mirror outside the bathroom...a definite PLUS!...no need to worry about steamed up mirrors and a crowded bathroom! Only complaint was the pool was right below us so a lil noisy and also must have been a jacuzzi above because was noisy when they ran water. Otherwise immaculate and would definitely recommend it. Fridge, microwave and all. Looked like a huge hot breakfast spread...only complaint was our flight left before it opened! In the evening had the most awesome cookies!! Stay here for a wonderful experience!!!

• Liked — the huge jacuzzi room
  • Disliked — little noisy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KirstenPa
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 18, 2008

The hotel is somewhat newer, but is just kind of 'eh'. It wasnt dirty, it wasnt clean. It wasnt bad, it wasnt good.
The room was large but felt cold due to to minimal furishings and enourmous empty walls. The TV was a little 19". The vanity was in the hallway of the bedroom which was odd. The bed was terrible, deep canyons on each side.
The internet was wired and the outlet was under the desk. I usually like to work while lying in bed but since I only had a 10' cable with me it didnt work.
I didnt get breakfast but it looked like the typical fare. The one time I went to grab some fruit it was old and soft so I decided against it.
For what I paid ($65) I really cant complain, but I think I will spend more next time for a nicer room.
The location is next to a mall and there are plenty of restaurant options and it is very close to the airport without being on top of it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — it was all kind of blah
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank PHXTrainer
Kent, UK
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We booked this hotel for 3 nights at the end of our vacation to be near the airport, but we didn't find it as good a value as others have reported we paid $85 a night for a twin room.The room was just OK and appeared clean. The pool was nothing special and a bit on the cols side. The hotel was handy for the airport and malls to get last bit & pieces to take home with us. The staff were helpfull and pleasant they even let us stay in our room until 1 o'clock in the afternoon before we had to check out for a 12 hour evening flight home. This hotel had it's advantages but was not the best we had stayed in during our 3 week trip.

Stayed June 2006
LA
Reviewed January 22, 2007

I have stayed here several times and it is a great value. We get a room for 56.99 plus tax that has a king bed or two queens. In addition, there is a microwave & refrig in each room, an indoor pool, washer & dryer, and free pc to use in the business center. The breakfast room is usually big enough for everyone. The variety is ok & they have a waffle machine. There are fresh cookies late in the day and Mon-Thurs they provide wine, beer & chips in the evening. I wish the pool was open later than 9pm but that is a small complaint. The staff has always been very helpful and friendly.

• Liked — microwave & refrig in each room
  • Disliked — early closing hours for pool
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank SuzanB
Miami
Reviewed December 17, 2006

Room was clean and comfortable. It was fine for an inexpensive overnight. We were just passing through. Had a late flight into Denver and needed to overnight before continuing on to the mountains. I've paid more for worse rooms closer to Denver airport. Continental breakfast was included. Pre-packaged muffins, as well as cereal and breads. They did have a self-serve waffle maker and batter as well. Limited but fine for what we paid for the accommodations. So, all in all, it was satisfactory for an overnight.

• Stayed November 2006
2 Thank Willow-Jen
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I found a different experience with the hotel actually than other reviews here. I booked thru Hotwire, got there and they and found that i'd paid about $25 more thru Hotwire than their actual room rate. (lesson learned!) Then they only had smoking rooms which they tried to put me in. Travelling with two kids with allergies, i couldn't do that. Went back to front desk and as nice as the young woman was, she said all she had in non-smoking was the King Suite which was $99 a night. (While waiting I heard her quote $79 to the man before me) Then she mumbled something about "but i think it will be cheaper than that for you." She gave me the room key and while it was OK, it certainly wasn't great. Only had two towels, the sofa bed made into a VERY small twin bed...two paper cups...just all kind of cheap and not very luxurious AT ALL. The indoor pool looks is in room with pipes hanging from the ceiling, not very appealing at all. It felt like a warehouse. The "Business Center "is a very small little room that holds a computer. You have to check in to receive the key to this room, have a 30 minute limit in there AND have to pay 15cents per page of anything printed. (I've stayed elsewhere with free access and no add'l charges in a much nicer business center )
The "happy hour" consisted of a bowl of chips and salsa and about a total of 4 cans of Bud lying in a bowl of ice. We asked about additional types of beer and were told "that's all we have left." (it was only about 5:30 pm for a Happy hour supposed to last til 7) The breakfast was fairly sparse: Cold cereal, cold rolls and ONE waffle maker, so there was a line. The coffee was not good and the juice was warm.
OK, so I'm a little negative but when i went to check out I was charged an additional $48 for the King Suite, making it a total of about $116 i paid for a less than adequate place. I couldn't help but feel like a little "bait and switch" happened here.
Especially after reading of people paying much lower and HEARING myself that others were charged much less for the same night. I guess I looked gullible...i was just tired having traveled 400 miles by car with two kids.
I would not return.

• Liked — Fairly close to the airport and easy to get to.
  • Disliked — Being over charged and the cheapness of the entire place.
  • Tips/Secrets — I would find a place with a better setting.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family