“Ok nothing special”
Review of Aurora Reservoir

Aurora Reservoir
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Aurora
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 800 acres of water surface, Aurora Reservoir is one of the city's largest park and open space sites. Named by Westword as "The Best Park for Fishing" in 2012, the reservoir provides multi-use recreation and serves as a drinking water storage facility for Aurora.
Aurora, CO
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Ok nothing special”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Ok place to go. Kind of sparse. Pricey to get in and not that great. Some sights. Lots of birds. There are other lakes in the vicinity that are much better.

Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Fort Myers, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“inaugural triathalon”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

perfect location for triathalons. water temperatur was 69 degrees. ample parking, facilities, award stage.

Visited July 2013
Aurora, Colorado, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Rake the beach sand each day!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The reservoir is close to town and the water is very clean. No gas motors allowed which is nice. Facilities are very nice and staff is friendly and professional. The one big problem is the beach and grass areas are covered in Canada Goose droppings. Its almost impossible to walk without having some squish up between your toes. I see the life guards sitting in the shack socializing when they could, at the very least, rake the waters edge. Get rid of the droppings and they get five stars.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank NHHD
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice quiet reservoir - no gas motors”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We live about 20 minutes from there, so it is really convenient for us. It is a smaller reservoir, and there are no gas engines/jet skis allowed, which is great if you want to relax on or near the water. They have boat rentals (paddle boats and boards and kayaks) but I don't know the fees - we have our own small rowing boats and go out on the water to fish and just enjoy the peace and quiet. You can bring out grills and there is a supervised swimming area for families. There is a place to buy some food in summer but it is closed part of the year. We usually bring our own food and snacks. The only thing that I wish they'd change is that dogs aren't allowed in or near the water, which is a shame because my dogs would love it. I often see deer wandering in to drink, so it isn't like there aren't animals out there.

If you live near it, you can get a yearly pass and go in anytime you want to walk around the water, or ride bikes.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank ColoradoPlains
Aurora, Colorado
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Highly recommended - great for kids!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our daughter lives just a few miles from the reservoir and when my wife and I visited we wanted a place to get together with some friends who live in CO for a cookout. We rented one of the small pavillions (#2) for Sat on Memorial Day weekend - I was extremely impressed with the operation. It was easy to reserve the pavillion on-line, they provide lots of information on the use of the facility, you can see a satellite view of the area on the web site, etc. I think it was $10 a car to get in as I recall.

Pavillion 2 is literally right next to a small playground for kids, just 30 yards or so from the beach, and less than that to the restrooms. It is a short walk from there to the parking lot so it's not a major problem to lug coolers, chairs, etc. There are 2 metal type picnic tables (with plastic coating) under the pavillion along with a large charcoal grill and they had 2 large trash cans for our use. There are some trees close by so between the roof on the pavillion and the trees there is some shade and as I mentioned, everything is close by for those with kids. We had about 12 adults and 4 kids and had plenty of room.

All the park employees we interacted with were very nice and helpful. They seemed very interested in making sure you had a good time using the facilities. They don't allow glass containers and ask that you only have 3.2 beer but all the regulations are posted on the web site, and some at the pavillion (no glass containers).

We didn't fish but there is certainly fishing there and a place to put boats in. The beach was nice for the kids.

I think we paid $75 to rent the pavillion for the day but I thought it was worth every penny, and the facilities were great. There are numerous small pavillions and some larger ones. We had a great time and I'd highly recommend this facility, especially for those with kids.

Visited May 2013