SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus
$109
$169
$138
$99
Comfort Inn Denver Southeast Area(Aurora)(Great Value!)
$94
$117
$107
$106
$98
$149
$140
Travelocity
All reviewschildren's hospitaltoilet roomparking lot sidecancer centersplit bathroomdesk areasitting areaoatmealfree breakfast in the morningthe staff was friendly and helpfulfront desk personnelthe entire staffwould definitely stay here againeasy accesswithin mileswould highly recommend this hotelpool and hot tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We selected this hotel for its location almost directly across from Children's Hospital. Our grandson loved the bridge crossing over the street. The room was upscale, spacious, and sparkling clean. The breakfast was a cut above most buffet offerings. We stayed three nights and the menu changed slightly each morning. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. We appreciated the food selection for sale at the reception area. Our only suggestion would be to add more hooks for towels in the bathrooms. We had a king-sized bedroom but there was no bathtub, just a shower. The hotel was easy to find and near restaurants and shopping with a little advice from the reception staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on the parking lot side and away from the street. Be aware that some rooms do not have tubs, only showers. We did not request a tub and it would have been fine if our young grandson had not brought his tub toys; he is afraid of water coming out of the wall. :o)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Hello Sharon M,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your needs. For future reference, we do have suites with bathtubs. Our king suites have only the shower but the double queen suites all come with a tub. Thank you for your business and have a nice day!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Please let me start by saying that I completely understand the plight of parents who are bringing their children to Children's Hospital, and I can appreciate their need for a little peace and quiet after dealing with the stresses of a sick child and being away from home as well.

I can also appreciate the fact that this hotel caters to those parents by offering hospital stay rates and a clean and quiet respite from that madness.

HOWEVER

All that said, this hotel must also remember that it caters to OTHER travelers as well. Issuing hotel policy that favors one group's needs over another will always lead to one group being exceedingly happy and the other feeling slighted, like they did not get the most from their stay.

As you can tell, my last stay placed me in the latter category. So first, let's review the room. The room was absolutely flawless. Neat, very clean, well done. No problems or complaints at all there. The service staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make the stay comfortable. The desk staff was also very friendly and helpful (at least, as helpful as they were allowed to be -- we'll get there in a minute).

The breakfast was adequate, but it was visibly lacking in a few areas. Total selection of foods was dismal. There were a few muffins, a few breads, some hard-boiled eggs, and the hot portion consisted of scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy. Fruits were lacking. Starches were lacking (potatoes of some variety are usually found at breakfast). Beyond eggs and the beef in the gravy, meats were non-existent (bacon? sausage?). So "adequate" would be the best word to describe the food, not outstanding or exceptional.

Now, the issues. I stayed in this hotel 30 and 31 Dec 2013. We gathered four families (16 people in total) for a get-together that would allow my niece and her friend to attend the Decadence concert and not have to drive the 60+ miles back to my house in Colorado Springs at 0200. We also used it as a "New Year's getaway." The first indication to me that there were going to be issues was the note under the door on 31 Dec 13. The note laid out the hotel's "no party" rules:

- (clearly) No parties or loud noises in rooms.
- Maximum of 5 persons per room
- Party complaints would be dealt with harshly: no warnings, no refunds, just immediately out on the street with a police escort.

So either they have had problems with this before, or they are really trying to keep their hospital stay guests happy. Okay, so we can't gather in a room for New Years. We decided to go down to the lobby and gather. We had our own snacks and drinks, so we didn't really need to go anywhere nor did we require any hotel services. We simply wanted a place to sit while the kids used the terribly undersized pool (when the occupancy limit for the pool is 11, you know the pool is too small). The pool closed at 10 PM, standard pool closing hours. Being New Years Eve, we asked if they could keep the pool open longer to accommodate the kids who would be up for New Years anyway. They refused. Kids went back to the room (well, I had to put more than 5 of them together, so I'm already breaking a rule) with the admonition that noise gets you booted so they had better be quiet. At 11 PM, the hotel staff advised us that they would be turning off the lights in the lobby seating area per hotel policy. We reminded them that it was New Year's Eve, and since we can't have more than 5 in a room, we only have here to gather, so perhaps they could leave the lights on for another hour. Again, they refused (hotel policy). So we can't gather in our room because it's too many people. We can't gather in the lobby because it's dark. We ended up breaking the 5-people-per-room rule because we were out of options. We kept the kids as quiet as you can keep a group of 11-18 year old kids, but we still received noise complaints, both that night and the next DAY (during the day, which is entirely unheard of, and completely incorrect policy). Ultimately, the entire experience left us feeling a little unwelcome, and that's disappointing for a Marriott brand.

I am an Elite member with Marriott Rewards; I am a global business traveler. I go out of my way to stay at Marriott properties because 1, I have points to spend, and 2, I always find a consistent experience there. When I take my family somewhere, I take them to Marriott properties because of that consistent experience. This property, sadly, broke that chain of consistency. I can completely understand WHY they do what they do. However, when they do those things, it tends to ruin the stay for the rest of the guests. My suggestion: segregate the hospital stay patrons as far away from the remainder of the patrons as you can (separated by floors and wings). Accommodating one group of guests over another is never a good idea.

Room Tip: If you like living in a library, you will be very happy here. But don't make any noise; you might get thrown out on your ear.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Hello EMC-CJ,

Wow, where to begin? I would like to thank you for taking a moment to express your concerns regarding your stay. Please accept my apologies for not exceeding, let alone, meeting your expectations. It is true that our hotel caters to business travelers as well as family leisure travelers and that does include families visiting the medical center across the street. With that being said, we do attempt to maintain a professional and family friendly environment, especially on New Year's Eve. Historically, suburban hotels like ours have limited staff and resources to compete with party-goers on New Year's Eve so we simply try to stay ahead of the curve with the "No Party Policy." This is with all due respect to all of our guests and not just those visiting the hospital. Our pool does close at 11pm simply because there are guest rooms directly above it. In terms of the lobby lighting, this is news to me. I know we dim the lights but I will speak to my staff about being more accomodating for guests to gather later into the evening. I agree that we could have done more to make you feel welcome in the lobby.

I do know you are a loyal Marriott Gold Elite member, and I know we have left a bad taste with you as a result of our "No Party Policy." From the perspective of managing a safe and secure environment for all of our guests, the staff here at the SpringHill Suites acts only in the best interest of providing a clean and comfortable hotel experience. Although we fell short on fulfilling this for you and your party, I hope to have you back again in the future. Thanks again for your business and best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2014.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have to bring our daughter to Children's Hospital for a medical issue. We picked this hotel because it was on a list provided by Children's and is right across the street. By the time we are done with appointments we are EXHAUSTED and just want to be HOME, but it is a 4-hour drive. This is THE BEST hotel we've ever stayed in. It was so comfortable (the first time EVERYONE got a good night's sleep in a hotel EVER) and thoughtful (individual book lights on bed headboard, frosted glass partition over desk to close off the couch/desk area from the bed area, two partial bathrooms ... one toilet and sink, one sink and shower). Also immaculate and spacious. The breakfast was good with great variety (I have to eat gluten free and was able to do so easily). The staff was polite and super helpful (someone jacked all the luggage carts and they checked every floor, nook, and cranny). On top of that, if you are there for a medical appointment at the Children's Hospital they give you a discount (fairly decent one, not just a couple bucks). And they are smart enough to only give the discount with proof of medical appointment so cheaters can't ruin it for those of thus who need it.

Hello KimmerG40,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. I am pleased our hotel suited your needs. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel on a cross-country trip. It is located convenient to I-70 and directly across the street from a children's hospital. Our check-in was fast and the man working the front desk was pleasant and very polite. Our room (210) was spacious and scrupulously clean - the bathroom was spotless! The bathroom arrangement is a little strange - one room has a toilet and tiny corner sink, then another room has a large sink and a tub/shower. My only complaint about the room itself is that neither 'bathroom' had locks on the doors.

The pool is quite small (capacity=11 people) but was clean and warm, with plenty of towels nearby. The common areas we observed were all clean and updated.

We were very tired of being in the car, so we chose to walk over to Panera (about a 90 second walk if you just cut through the bank parking lot next door) for dinner, which was very good. We mentioned at the front desk we'd be checking out around 4:45 a.m. the following day and we were told we could just ask for some breakfast items to go, as breakfast didn't start until 7 a.m.

The following morning as we were packing out suitcases up, my husband called down to the front desk to ask again if we could get some breakfast stuff on our way out. Apparently he woke the person up, because she was rude and grumpy and said she wouldn't give us any food. We were a little irritated by this. (Ok, I was a lot irritated, he was a little irritated.) We packed up our vehicle and he went back inside to turn in our keys. I guess by that point the woman he'd spoken to had woken up a little more and was willing to be more pleasant, because she ended up giving him bananas, strawberries, yogurts, muffins, and cartons of milk. It was a huge amount of food! So I can't even complain about that really (I am grumpy when someone wakes me up too).

Overall I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Denver area or even just passing through as we were.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Hi Heather H.

Thank you so much for taking a moment to comment on your recent stay with us. Overall, I am pleased you gave us such a nice review. I am concerned about the interaction you had in the early morning with one of our team members. I will review this situation with her to find out what happened but please accept my sincerest apology for this issue. Ultimately I am happy you did get the early morning snack and you had a nice stay, but I take this feedback very seriously and will continue to strive for excellence. Thank you so much for your business and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Right across the street from University of Colorado Hospital's Anschutz campus with free shuttle service at bottom of the hour. Easy access to DEN Airport and freeways. Comfortable rooms with a good work desk, a spacious sofa for relaxing, and effective temp control in summer and winter. The free morning breakfast is good, Panera Bread is one block away for dining out, and the fridge and microwave are convenient for in-room light meals.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms I've stayed in have the same spacious layout: sitting area with sofa, coffee table, work desk (with lots of outlets), microwave and mini-fridge; sleeping area with king size bed and armoire; flat screen TV visible from both sitting and sleeping area; toilet & sink in one bathroom, hi-tech shower and sink in other bathroom,
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Hello SoggySister,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to provide feedback on your stay with us. I am happy that we were able to suit your needs on your recent trip. Thank you so much for your business and we hope to see you again soon.