“There are other hotels where the AC actually works ...”

Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Aurora
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I checked in to this hotel planning on staying 4 nights for business travel. It was the only one near the airport that wasn't a budget option, like a Courtyard for example. I wanted a hotel with a restaurant, room service, and a decent desk space to work from. I am a Marriott rewards elite member, perhaps I expected too much. I was given a room the absolute farthest from the elevator, the very end of two hallways (seemed a long schlep dragging my bags), overlooking the dumpsters. I had a turbulent flight into Denver as usual, and the scramble of bags, rental car, heat and turbulence did not have me in the best frame of mind, I was looking forward to a decent room and drink at the lobby bar. I decided to shrug off the dumpster view and bad room location. However, I noticed that the room was pretty hot and uncomfortable, so I turned the AC up to 69 figuring it would cool off. I went out to meet some friends, nice lobby, friendly staff in the bar, nicely appointed. Hours later, I was back in my room looking forward to catching up on sleep, and basically tossed and turned all night long sweating as the AC was clearly not up to the challenge. I thought it over, and knew that I was not going to work in that room half the day sweating, so I packed up all my stuff and dragged it all back out to the front desk. I had to head out to a meeting in Colorado Springs and I needed to get on the road, so I checked out after one night, it was terrible. There are so many hotels minutes from this location there was no need to suffer in a bad room. I checked into a another hotel later that day to icy AC, great lobby bar, good room service, walking distance to other restaurants, and was much happier. There are too many other options nearby to put up with this. I can only imagine what room you get if you are not an elite member, and forget about being cool there in the summer, the central air could not keep up in the room, halls or the lobby. They did ask as they were handing me my receipt on check out how my stay was, I was going to just say fine and walk out, but I did calmly tell them that I was leaving early as I was exhausted from no sleep due to the AC, and that I did not appreciate the terrible room assignment. I was literally walking away as they offered me a room upgrade or more points, and if they had acted like they cared at all, I may have stayed and risked the heat. Instead, I got nothing for my inconvenience. Very disappointing, irritating etc. Don't bother with this location, there are plenty of other options. BTW, I wound up getting a nice room for half the price including two full breakfasts each morning nearby. Don't settle!!

Room Tip: The hotel corridors are the shape of an L, with the elevators only at one end. Be aware if you have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
James P, Manager at Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Valued Elite Member,
On behalf of the Marriott staff, I would like to sincerely apologize for the a/c not cooling your room during your stay. I can assure you that the a/c issue has been addressed and we would love the opportunity to regain your business with our Marriott in the future.

James P
Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just like very other Marriott we stayed, this one no exception, very clean, friendly staff, with a indoor poll, small gym with very new equipment and free fruit. Especiall can't beat the price from Priceline !!
Only reason I didn't give it 5 star is because the shuttle service, we got DEN around 10:30pm Fri night, there were so many people waiting, the driver even didn't get off to open the back for luggage, so the bus were packed with passenger holding their suitecases\bags. If u need take shuttle to airport, be prepared to leave extra early since it only runs every 30 min and it stops 2-3 other hotel to pick up.

Room Tip: ask upgrade when check in.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had two priceline rooms at this hotel which for the most part were quite nice. Unfortunately you could hear plumbing in other rooms and noise from other rooms as well. The heating and cooling system was quiet which was nice. The staff was nice and bed and bedding were all fine. The shower had great water pressure. Because we had spent such a small amount on the rooms we decided to have breakfast at the hotel. What a mistake. The buffet is pricey and aside from the orange juice and coffee was pretty poor. I watched an omelet being handed to another customer with the egg running all over the plate. It was only because I said that the omelet was raw that the chef took it back and cooked it more. If you can't tell that an omelet is undercooked you shouldn't be a chef. The fruit was not fresh, the home fries tasted like they had been reheated for several days (dry and stale), there were exactly two pastries to pick from (not two types, two pastries). Service was also almost not there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
James P, Manager at Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
My name is James Pack and I am the Director of Rooms at the Denver Airport Marriott. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us on August 16th. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to comment on your experience. On behalf of the Marriott staff I would like to apologize for the poor quality of food and service that you experienced. I can ensure you that we take great pride in serving our guests and that we are very sorry that we did not deliver on this occasion. We have shared this with our Food and Beverage team as well to ensure that this is addressed immediately.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Very Clean, friendly staff, very good bed. The view in room is great, very nice with large windows.
The only bad I noticed the WIFI isn't free. Anyway there's a good breakfast package for 25-30 $ with Continental breakfast for one-two, inside Parking and complimentary WiFi + 2 extra water bottles. So not so bad. For the breakfast... I suggest it. It's very varied both hot (eggs, potatoes, bacon and french toast) and cold (fresh fruit - VERY GOOD - quality yogurt, nuts, doughnuts, muffins).
Good location with great restaurant in the close area (i.e: Del Frisco steakhouse 5 minutes far).
I hope this review can be useful for your trip!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel is always a great place to stay close to the airport. The rooms are always clean. The staff is very friendly and super helpful. A great choice for an airport hotel! Good onsite parking and a free airport shuttle. Comfortable lobby and common areas.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'm a big fan of Marriott hotels, but I'm not afraid to say when one doesn't meet my expectations. This one was great -- clean, quiet, and comfortable. Hotel staff was very courteous and helpful. I will definitely be back the next time I'm in Denver.

1  Thank volyblmn

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to your return to Denver.

James P
Director of Rooms

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Impressed by courteous staff. Small but comfortable rooms. Free internet could be faster - I clocked @ 1.7 MPS - good for most but bare minimum for me - I like 3+ MPS. Overall - it is worth the extra distance from Denver International Airport. This may be the closest full service hotel to the airport - I require room service when my flight is cancelled!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Woolley's Classic Suites - Denver Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver/Airport-Gateway Park
Hilton Garden Inn Denver Airport
Hyatt Place Denver Airport
Cambria hotel & suites Denver International Airport
Aloft Denver International Airport

Been to Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park? Share your experiences!