“Aloft is just OK, bring your own pillows”

Aloft Denver International Airport
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Aurora
Los Angeles, California
“Aloft is just OK, bring your own pillows”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've written this review before and just have to reiterate and hopefully someone will listen at Aloft. Replace your pillows and secondarily your bedding or bed top. They are lumpy and almost hard at times, it's the worst part about Aloft. This location was very friendly upon check-in and they have breakfast sandwiches ready for purchase in the morning besides the other fare in the galley that is always available. Maybe they will carry cottage cheese some day too. The gym is good with 2 treadmills and 3 elliptical machines, a set of 5-50 lbs dumb bells and a farely good cable machine. It is about 10 minutes from the airport so give yourself a little extra time as the airport is not as close as you think.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Matt K, Manager at Aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. We greatly appreciate your response and can assure you that these issues will be looked into.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Had heard some good reviews on the aloft hotels and since it was fairly close to Denver IAP; I decided to give it a try on my trip into Denver and then to Moab, UT. The hotel looks very nice and very boutique; but the rooms and service a different story. I managed to get behind some Japanese people checking in and only one person was at check-in to do us all. Probably waited 15 minutes before getting room key, as there were 6 of them. Liked the big room; but had issues with the shower door. Did not close and so lots of water leaked out onto the floor. Mentioned this to manager / staff on check-out and got a "Oh, we know about that problem and have been working on it." For a $150 a night room and the smaller size of the hotel - obviously their maintenance team is very small or very slow to get around to a "known" issue. The TV was a nice size, but other hotels in lesser dollar costs have larger TV's than aloft. The indoor pool looked nice, but I didn't use it or get close up to see, but inside for Denver is probably very good. I did get a 5th floor room (top floor) which was nice to have as well.

Can I say I'd stay at aloft again? Maybe, but at their price point; they need to offer much more amenities to keep people coming back. Even their breakfast / food bar is quite expensive outside of the "free" coffee. Want a mocha - that'll be $4 please. Something to eat, I think pancakes were like $8. Not a restaurant of course - just a breakfast bar like many lower cost hotels put out for FREE.

I'm not cheap, I just the value for my dollar in these economic times and I did pay a fair premium for this hotel. My suggestion to Starwood is to "ADD" more value to this venture - like a FREE continental breakfast and don't charge $4 for a mocha; when people are paying far more for this place than down the road at Holiday Inn Express, etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Terry S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my first time at an Aloft. Great concept hotel with a gregarious staff and contemporary design. This is probably the future in hotel stays. I stayed here after being denied entrance to the Hilton Garden Inn across the street by a couple of 20-somethings in suits who knew nothing about the hospitality industry. Aloft does better hiring and doesn't need suits and ties to be welcoming. Simple as that. As good as the design, so too was the fact that there is actually good food to buy in the kitchen 24/7. It's simple fare, but what a welcome change. I like this place. The best deal at DIA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Matt K, General Manager at Aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to fill out a TripAdvisor Survey about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you next time you stay with us.
Harwinton
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I took a shot at this "near to airport" stay and was pleasantly surprised. This art-modern / contempo style hotel delivered friendly service, speedy shuttle, very clean and comfortable, what more could you ask for? Even though this hotel has been here for a couple of years, everything (in May 2013) seemed brand new. I will definitely stay here again as it has become my new favorite Denver Airport hotel (and I have stayed at many so-called upscale hotels in the area, that cost 25-40% more and aren't as nice.) Try out this best kept secret Denver Airport Hotel... You'll thank me!

Room Tip: I was on the first floor which was 100 feet from the checkin counter, close to the bar and pool and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

If you have to spend the night in Denver and want to be close to the airport and there are no other choices available, Aloft Denver will do.

The lobby area is very hip, upscale, modern, whatever. A lot of bare concrete and exposed HVAC ducting give it the edgy urban feel I guess.

The rooms are perfectly fine; roomy, high ceilings, functional bathroom area, etc. The major (and I mean MAJOR) detractor was the bed.

The mattress and pillows were on par with the lowest models that Ikea could offer. How you can get a thin mattress *that* lumpy, I do not know. I could also hear the crinkling of the plastic undersheet every time I turned over (which was a lot, trying to get comfortable but to no avail). The pillows were in the same categories; either thin and lumpy or overstuffed and hard as a rock.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ak_f800st
Matt K, Manager at Aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Gosh I am so sorry for the inconvenience! I read your feedback and I was so disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay. This was certainly out-of-the-norm, as a majority of our feedback is very positive and I want you to be able to have a positive experience with us.
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Such a pleasant end to a three day cross-country drive to Denver where I flew out the next day and my daughter continued on to a Colorado summer job. It was my first stay at an Aloft hotel and I'll be back. Though it is described as located at the airport and is so conveniently located right off I-70, it's still a 15 minute drive to the airport and there is no sense that airplanes are taking off and landing nearby - very quiet. We did not end up using the airport shuttle service offered but the availability of it was one reason we chose the hotel. My daughter and I especially liked the area in which the hotel was located which has nice sidewalks throughout with landscaping and provides plenty of space to run or walk. There are many restaurants, fast food, etc. within walking/driving distance which also made this a good location for us. Our hotel room was clean, well-appointed and comfortable. It was a wonderful way to end our three day adventure!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding night in order to catch our flight to Disney World the next morning. We had a great experience over all given the duration of our stay. The hotel was conveniently close to DIA and offered shuttle services to and from DIA every half hour or so. We were able to check in for our flight easily while grabbing a quick bite to eat and were even given complimentary meal tickets for the dining area by the front desk person along with discounted long term parking voucher since we just got married. There was however one short coming to the whole experience and that was the back door to the hotel. The back door was broken at the time of our visit, so we had to walk around the entire hotel to the front door. A good place to stay with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frisbeemaniac
Matt K, General Manager at Aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello, and thank you for the review Frisbeemaniac. We appreciate the great review and are happy to hear we played a part in starting your honeymoon off on the right foot! I do apologize about the broken door, and please know that it has been fixed. The whole team here can't wait to see you again.

Keep a Good Thought,
Kendall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park
Woolley's Classic Suites - Denver Airport
Hyatt Place Denver Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver/Airport-Gateway Park
Hilton Garden Inn Denver Airport
HYATT House Denver Airport

Been to Aloft Denver International Airport? Share your experiences!