“Great location ..full of history.”
Review of The Red Onion

The Red Onion
Ranked #12 of 160 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Original building and bar from 1892 in the heart of Aspen on the mall.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

What a fun place! Reasonably priced and good variety for food. So much history there. Our waitress did not hurry us at all. We ate a late lunch - so quiet and we set outside. Husband had the special- buffalo hamburger with spicy fries. It was very good. I had the house salad which was good but not exceptionable. It was all about the ambiance and history and people watching.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We actually walked by twice before stopping in as it looked very crowded on the patio and we weren't in the mood for a long wait, however the very cool bar and dining room inside were pretty empty and we were seated right away. This is one of the older, brick buildings in Aspen with a lot of history with some interesting pictures on the wall of Aspen in the old days. Our server, Lindsey, was extremely friendly and efficient, and we never had to wait for another beer or be asked if everything was alright....it was. The food was delicious. My wife is a vegetarian so the black bean burger was an easy choice, and with some added jalapenos, pico de gallo and sauteed onions, pronounced "the best black bean burger she has ever had" and has tried them at many other restaurants, obviously this one is house-made. Although she originally started eating it without the bun, after tasting how good the bun was, that got eaten too. I had two appetizers, the mac and cheese with bacon and the Buffalo chicken wings. The mac and cheese was delicious, I'm still in a food coma. The wings were perfectly cooked, very crispy and the blue cheese dressing was thick and full of blue cheese crumbles, most likely house-made as well. The only very slightly disappointing things was that there was very little sauce on the wings, they could have been a little wetter. I certainly could have asked our server for more sauce, but the overall extremely positive aspects of the meal overrode this small issue. Price is pretty decent for Aspen, $72 for an entree, 2 appetizers, 2 glasses of non house chardonnay, a micro draft and a domestic bottle with tax and tip. I will certainly stop in on my next trip to Aspen, as there were quite a few more things on the menu I would like to try...especially that crock of french onion soup that went by.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I loved the Red Onion. Our service was slightly slow because it was sooo busy but the food made it all worth it. I got a BBQ pulled pork sandwich, it was amazing! Highly recommend this place, I would just say the earlier in the evening the better because it gets packed.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Visited 2 x's on our Aspen trip. Both meals were excellent, prices are very reasonable for Aspen and it has great energy, servers, and food selections. Plus you never know who you will see. We actually saw a couple from our town sitting next to us.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My place for chicken wings. Many TV's if you want to watch a game in the evening and have dinner. One of the older buildings in Aspen.

Been to The Red Onion? Share your experiences!