“A Luxurious step back in time - I loved it!”

Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2009

For my first trip to Aspen, I chose a spectacular hotel that was not only luxurious, but a real step into the past. I spent a wonderful week in January at the Hotel Jerome, where every need was attentively taken care of. The service was not only curtious, but very personal. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming and truely relaxing. The halls are filled with beautiful historical photographs of the beginnings of Aspen and the hotel in the early days. It was fascinating and I only wish I could have spend hours roaming halls to take that all in - it was very much like a museum tribute to the Aspen of yester-year. The location is perfect, within walking distance from the slopes, but enough distance to provide a bit of a safe haven from all the bustle. I experienced all three bars/restaurants at the hotel and each of them where wonderful and unique in their own way. The J-Bar is one of the hippest locations in town and always full with a very interesting crowd - the food was excellent. My room was ample and appointed perfecly - a step back in time with all the modern conveniences one would want. I look very much forward to my next visit this Spring!

1  Thank chictravel

Reviewed February 17, 2009

I had the great, good fortune to visit a friend and stay at the Hotel Jerome recently. I have been in many hotels, but the Jerome had an ambiance that was just amazing and far surpassed any other place I've stayed. The room was spectacular... like stepping back in history, yet with all the amenities that one could want. There was a quaintness and a coziness that couldn't be beat. We enjoyed relaxing with morning tea by the fireplace each morning and we enjoyed relaxing with a nice afternoon hot chocolate or hot cider by the fireplace as well... the perfect ending to a day out on the slopes. The service was exemplary, and we thoroughly enjoyed an evening which we spent watching a magician in the Library. I am still marveling at how he did his tricks! On the days that we didn't ski, we had a nice, central location to run around town and we were treated like kings and queens for our entire stay. I'd highly recommend the Hotel Jerome.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank FloridaTravelerToo
Reviewed February 17, 2009

The Hotel Jerome is my favorite in all of the U.S. It is truly a unique experience. The help all make me feel like royalty when I arrive once or twice a year. I never want to leave.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeromite
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Staying at the Hotel Jerome was a fabulous experience. I felt like I stepped back in time to the the late 1800s when I made my fortune mining silver...lol. The history of this hotel was so rich- I could have walked the halls for hours viewing the original photographs and furniture from when the hotel was founded. If you love history and want to be pampered, this hotel is a must.

1  Thank MarlinsTrips
Reviewed February 9, 2009

I have never written a review before but had such an amazing stay i had to share it with everyone. This hotel is amazing. Yes some of the rooms are older, but it was built in the 1900s. The have beautiful bathrooms with all granite and flat screen tv's., but this doens't compare to the service. I brought my dog and they had bowls and a bed in the room for him. They knew my name and my dogs name and would greet us when we entered each time. They called to make sure I didn't need anything when I left my privacy on the door, wanted to make sure everything was perfect with my stay. They have dog room service which my dog loved and dogs are allowed everywhere in the hotel. This was amazing to me. They have a private car that will take you anywhere for free and the drivers are very friendly and prompt when you call them to pick you up. I was on the other side of town and they picked me up within ten minutes of when I called. What made my stay over the top is I had a horrible headache and was really sick one night. The front desk had a bell hop drive to the grocery store and pcik me up medicaine and delivered it to my room within twenty minutes free of charge. This was amazing and above above above and beyond. Plus, the room serivce is fantastic, I would suggest the fried egg sandwich.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank GusandIadventure
Reviewed January 20, 2009

January 14-16, 2009

The Library Bar at the Hotel Jerome is an absolute gem. It (the ORIGINAL bar from the 1889 Grand Opening) oozes romance and ambiance with it's warm (candlelit) and subdued lighting. Brent, the bartender, promotes this romantic, classy atmosphere making it an experience, not just a drink (try his OrangeCaviarBellimi and watch the caviar bubble to the top--fun!). We really enjoyed coming here and relaxing after a day of walking/touring. Seeing Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn was an added bonus.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Jerome. You will not get 12 foot high ceilings in other property's around town, the location was excellent, and the staff puts forth great effort to accomodate and be responsive.

That said, it IS a little rough around the edges as the previous reviewer noted. As an example, the "flowers" decorating the place, I should say little green plants placed here and there to be accurate, were on the weak side to say the least.

Shuttle Service: Also, if you're going to go skiing at Ajax (aka Aspen Mountain) then the Hotel Jerome shuttle is free of charge. And yet, if you're going to ANY OTHER mountain then there is a minimum $10 charge per person EACH WAY for the same service. My advice would be to walk 2-3 short blocks and take the efficient AspenFree shuttle which comes around an efficient every 15 minutes (and save the money for the LibraryBar).

All in all, I really liked the HotelJerome and recommend it. I prefer it to other properties such as Little Nell (my second favorite) or the Sky (3rd favorite) which we toured. However, it really all depends on what you want. If you want historical ambiance with high ceilings and tall windows (in the lobby and your room!) then it's Hotel Jerome. If you want a more contemporary look and feel (their lobby is beautiful) and be right next door to Ajax (walk out and ski) then it's the Little Nell.

Either way, it's a win-win situation. Have fun!

1  Thank OmahaJim
Reviewed January 16, 2009

This is a mixed review. There is good and not so good going on at the Jerome. You're unlikely to have a truly great stay at, arguably, what was Aspen's third best hotel; but far behind the Little Nell and the St. Regis and now surpassed by some others.

The not so good-this hotel is in some type of management or ownership transition. Much of the staff is inexperienced or not well trained or both. Meal service is very expensive. Wear and tear is appearant. Little things in rooms; scapes, stains and chips in both sections of the hotel are evident. The hotel SUV's are older now. There is a very annoying resort fee ($30/day) and charges per person for dropping you off or picking you up at the ski areas.

The good is the staff, despite the items above, are smiling and they are trying. It just isn't consistent and looks like management hasn't got them consistently organized. The rooms are good and large. Good quality furnishings, beds and linens; the bathrooms are modern and well supplied. The housekeeping is very good. (Why have nice flat panel TV's if they do not operate as HDTV?) There is a nice coffee service in the morning and lots of good, free newspapers. The concierges appear to be hold overs from previous regimes and are excellent.

Which all brings me to a point. If you can stay here at a value (and I think in packages that is possible), $200 or so, do it. You'll enjoy the town and mountains all the more. But the Jerome is not currently a top notch hotel and won't command or deserve top dollar until things improve.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ConstantMotion