“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“Wonderful”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Great hotel. Great location. They drive you wherever you want to go in Aspen, so return that rental car! Most restaurants and shops, and the Music Festival, are within easy walking distance anyway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

A very oldy worldy hotel well located in walking distance to all amnities within the town. Fabulous, large hotel rooms, with very comfortable beds, and a nice large bathroom.

The hotel had a very 'lived in' feel about it, which was great for those who like to feel at home. I personally would rather have a more modern surrounding, as I felt some of the furnishings were beautiful, yet rather dirty.

A lovely relaxing pool and jacuzzi area, yet only one of the two jacuzzi's worked, and the pool was not cleaned enough as many leaves and branches accumilated there.

A great stay for charm and character, and the J-Bar serves some lovely food, but I would personally rather stay Hyatt or St Regis, for similar price. It comes down to a matter of choice - old, charatered, history - home from home but slightly 'dirty' or clean, modern, but possibly more pretetious...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest Camilla_Chellew,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay. I had great pleasure in sharing your review with the staff.

As I am sure you are aware, Hotel Jerome is undergoing a major renovation in August where the "lived in feel" will feel more elegant and luxurious while keeping the charm and western feel of our Crown Jewel for our guests.

Thank you again and I truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Jerome in the future after the remodel.

With kind regards,

Lebanon, Missouri
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay. The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty. The antique furnishings are very interesting and unique and calming to a weary traveler. There was confusion concerning the transportation to the JazzAspen Festival on the first night but the matter was resolved by Saturday. The restaurant and J-Bar is great also. Of course, it is expensive as are all luxury hotels in Aspen. They are planning on a re-model in the fall which will include a great spa and other upgrades which I think will help. The location is great and within walking distance to all of the great eating places and shops in Aspen. Also, Karls Drug is next door and it is a one stop place to shop for needed items. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We had a Junior Suite with a king bed. It also had a regular couch and a chair and ottoman. A tabl...
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed 3 nights over July 4th week. Hotel is very old but nostalgic in a great location in downtown Aspen. Service is what you would expect for this type of highend hotel. Hotel will be closed August 2012 until ski season starts for a major renovation, which will try to keep the nostalgia for this old Victorian hotel. We stayed in junior suites with very comfortable king bed with sofa sitting area.

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Jerome for 1 night. We paid $500 for a basic room in June. Seemed a little pricey to me. Plus an extra $50 "resort fee per night." My husband asked and they waived the fee. Valet parking was "free" but you pay the $50 fee so its really the same difference.
Room itself was great. Decor was authentic but with modern touches and felt very clean. Bathroom was very nice and updated. The front desk staff and the bell boy were very rough around the edges. For $500 a night I expected a little more. Bell boy ran the luggage cart into about everything in the lobby and hallway, then he couldnt find our room number once we arrived on our floor. Strange. Gave us possibly the worst directions to a deli. It was directly across the street from the hotel, we walked probably 8 blocks our of the way based on his directions.
You cannot beat the location of this hotel. Walking distance to all of downtown Aspen.
Turndown service was very nice, they left bottled water, hotel robes, and classical music on the radio which my husband could not figure out how to turn off without unplugging it.
Molten brown bath products, very nice.
Pool was great but small. Luckily it wasnt crowded. Great views of the mountains from the pool. Pool guy was great and gave us great tips as to what to do while we were there. Resturant balcony overlooks the pool which is a little akward if you're swimming but who really cares.
Lobby was not very glamorous if you ask me, it felt dusty. I understand the hotel is historic. The Library directly off of the lobby was a much preferred hangout. Very cool decor and comfortable non dusty feeling furniture.
Gym was VERY sub-par. A converted hotel room with gym equipment inside is not up to my standards. I understand you are in Aspen and probably working out outside but still. Plus it seemed as through someone had showered in the bathroom recently. Gross.
We had dinner at the Hotel Jerome Bar, very good. Great burgers and appetizers.
Overall I would definately stay at the Jerome again. I understand they are about to undergo a huge renovation so I hope the gym and lobby are updated by the time we get back there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shopgrl369
Tony D, General Manager at Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Hotel Jerome Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Jerome. Guest comments and feedback are very valuable and important to us, to enable us to improve our customer service standards and rectify any opportunities should they arise.

From reading your review, we have addressed some of the issues you mentioned from your June visit and the others are currently being addressed with the commencement of our renovations. Included in the renovations is a complete Spa and fitness center, along with an overhaul of our lobby.

I thank you again for your feedback and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Jerome in the near future.

With warm regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Aspen before returning home to our hot summer weather. We picked the Hotel Jerome because it looked historical and inviting. Pricey it was, but wonderful service and attention were abundant. We were pampered by the head concierge Jim Cryer who called us prior to our visit offering assistance with restaurants and any other reservations. We ate at the Wild Fig and were treated to a glass of wine by our SouthAfrican native host Craig who was casually attired and had a wonderful disposition. Great food! The second night we ate at Pinon's restaurant and had an elegant meal served with grace and humor. Also wonderful. So.. do I recommend Aspen? Yes! Just leave your calculator at home and enjoy the ambiance that this beautiful town has to offer!

Room Tip: We were in the newer part of the hotel. Luxurious bathrooms!!
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was lucky enough to spend 6 nights here on business. How I can't wait to go back.

From my seamless pick-up at the airport, to my return a week later, my stay could not have been better. Spectacular staff, incredible charm, understated luxury, great food, J Bar, and, well, Aspen all around, this place is unique.

The more finicky among you might be troubled that this grand dame is slightly rough around some edges (a faucet in the bathroom needed to be nudged shut; the carpet in my room had the look and feel of decades of wear). I wouldn't let that scare you off, unless, well, you are truly that difficult. Still, do not despair: The Jerome is set to shut for a 5-month top to bottom make over in August.

Here's why, even in its current condition, I love this place:

1. Staff: Simply superb. I travel A LOT (many months a year on the road). These guys are legit--and legitimately nice. GREAT service, from the shuttle service, to recommendations, to turn down, to everything. They always go above and beyond and never strike the holier-than-thou attitude so prevalent among some so-called 5-star establishments.

2. Character: This place has it in spades. You're not in a chain hotel. You're staying in an historic place. If only the J Bar's walls could speak. Aspen is, after all, a playground of the rich and powerful and the J Bar/Jerome has been the center of much of its goings on.

3. Rooms: HUGE. Okay, the rooms/suites at the Meadows might be a little bigger. But then you're at the Meadows, which is fantastic, especially if you're attending an event there, meaning you need to hike, golf cart everywhere and/or get accustomed to interpreting the mating songs of crickets at night, since you're in the middle of nowhere. But the Jerome's rooms: Spacious, separate bath and shower, great toiletries, tons of closet and drawer space, running lap space, if you wanted it, work space, extra space and character.

4. Beds: Fantastic with top-quality linens.

5. J Bar: It's downstairs.

6. Location: Aspen. And you're in the center of it.

That said, it's not Nirvana (well, maybe for me). And there are some things you should be aware of before you book:

1. Wear and tear: I mentioned above it will be remodeled beginning August 2012. I think it's great as is. But I know those who are especially difficult to please might not appreciate the very minor imperfections I noticed.

2. Gym: Yeah, they don't have the greatest gym for a 5-star. And yeah, they give you access to an awesome gym a mile away, that they'll drive you to. But, um, you're in Aspen. Still, if you need those facilities, you might stay at the meadows or go somewhere else.

3. Pool/Jacuzzi: They have both. They're great but very small.

Bottom line: A really special place with really special people. You won't want to leave--Aspen or the Jerome.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Loyal Hotel Jerome Guest,

On behalf of the entire staff at Hotel Jerome, thank you for the wonderfully, glowing and detailed review of your stay you shared on TripAdvisor. It was such an honor and a pleasure to share your review with my staff.

In the 6 nights you spent with us, you truly captured our "Crown Jewel" of Aspen! We just hope the next time you visit, it won't be for business but for pleasure so we can pamper you.

We are gearing up for our 5-month closure for our remodel, as you mentioned, which we are very excited to finally give our hotel the TLC she deserves...especially to our gym!!

Thank you again for taking the time and sharing your review. I honestly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest after our remodel. Please contact my office where my assistant will personally handle your next reservation.

With my warmest regards,