“A cozy, comfortable hotel in a great location”

Mountain Chalet Aspen
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Aspen
Washington DC area
“A cozy, comfortable hotel in a great location”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I have been coming to the Mountain Chalet for a long time. I believe I was first there in the early 80's. I am now retired and we have a ski group that comes out every January for a week. It is the most convenient location in Aspen, right across the street from the ski busses and within a block of great restaurants and shopping. The rooms are nice, the breakfast every morning is great, the staff is friendly and accommodating, and there is a large hot tub (only complaint is that it is indoors). The lounge area is cozy and comfortable with free coffee, tea and hot chocolate as well as free cookies in the evening. It has been run by the same family since the early days of Aspen and their standards are very high. I now no longer compare prices since I know the Mountain Chalet is the best deal in town!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I went to Aspen last minute and ended up staying for three nights at the Mountain Chalet Aspen. I can not say enough things about this hotel. I consider myself a seasoned traveler, traveled all my life and stayed at a variety of places from hostels to 5 star resorts. I decided to stay here after reading reviews on tripadvisor.com When I checked in I was greeted by friendly staff and I was telling them about the reviews on tripadvisor.com, I also told them that I would love to stay a few nights and was hoping to keep the cost down because I was traveling solo. I was given a special rate of $80 per night for a decent size room with a queen bed, great views of the mountain (slightly blocked by the hotel behind it) and free underground parking and complimentary breakfast. The room was decent, bed was comfortable, nice new down comforter and pillows, good size tv, refrig etc....bathroom was a bit outdated but clean. Balcony was nice overlooked pool and had mtn views. The breakfast was good, bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, croissants filled with egg, ham and cheese (delicious), cereal, fruit etc.. The staff was super friendly and every day they had complimentary cookies and coffee/tea. This is a family owned hotel and I got to meet the son, nice guy. The staff were extremely friendly, they recommended restaurants, shopping and hikes to me. I literally can not say enough about this place, a little gem in walking distance to everything and the price is right, nice in affordable for the "ordinary folk". Enjoy :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 28, 2009

For those of us who have to think about our budgets in Aspen, the Mountain Chalet is such a good find! Sure, the decor is a little outdated. Sure, I walked in and the hall kinda smelled like my grandma's house. But the room is CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, and FRIENDLY. They have been so nice since I got here. The bathroom is clean and an okay size, my bed is comfy and warm, and I have a new big flat screen TV in my room! Plus-- underground parking keeps my car safe and snow-free. You are also RIGHT in the middle of everything, you can walk to everything you need to in Aspen!

I would recommend the Mountain Chalet to ANYONE for a nice, affordable, friendly, clean stay in Aspen!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MaineGirlAtHeart
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Stayed third weekend in October for Anniversary. Hotel is nestled right at the foot of the mountains, facing a park. It's within walking distance of everything, and the bus station to the airport stops just short of the front door. Room was impeccably clean, with a cozy feel. Wrap around balcony had a table and chairs. Husband appreciated the large, flat screen TV in the bedroom. Homey touches include books in the room, an Ipod docking/recharging station, dvd/vcr player, fridge, microwave, dishes and REAL silverware. The staff was friendly, and even gave us toothpaste when we discovered ours didn't get packed. Lobby is very inviting, with homemade cookies every night and coffee/tea/cocoa offered 24/7. There are board games, multiple computers for internet and of course, a large, flat screen tv. The pool is solar heated (still too chilly for me), and the hot tub is extremely large. The steam room needs lots of time to get fully functional, so do yourself a favor and turn it on 30-45 minutes BEFORE you want to use it. The gym was larger than I expected, with 2 treadmills, an eliptical and scores of balance balls and weights. The breakfast was good. Croissants with egg, ham and cheese inside were unexpected, but delicious. Rates were low (comparitively) off season. We will surely stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed October 21, 2009

An excellent hotel for the price in Aspen...there are not many options at this price range. Room was a bit old but fine. Breakfast was good. Certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
kansas city
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The hotel is a little "vintage" but it's actually really nice for the price. The hotel staff is exceptional. We only stayed one night in order to travel to Maroon Bells, which was extremely close. The hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of pretty much anywhere in Aspen for food or shopping. The breakfast was great, lots to choose from. I think the hotel had a lot of character.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This was my second time in Aspen and the first time I felt at home in a hotel here. It's old but what they hell are you doing in the hotel room anyway!? It has it all: awesome central location, fantastic and attentive staff, management who really care, a breaki that gets you going, pool, huge gym, masseur in the winter (I guess!), free hot chockie all day and cookies in the afternoon, and decent rooms and nice beds. If I come back I will always stay here! They also helped support the event I came here FOR - American Renewable Energy Day (AREDay) - which I think is up with the most important topics of our times. So they have my vote and my cash with a smile.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business