“Exceeded my Expectations”
Review of Molly Gibson Lodge

Molly Gibson Lodge
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I had never been to Aspen before and had to rely on the websites of all the hotels to decide where to stay. I found the Molly Gibson Lodge and was quite impressed that it had a wood burning fireplace in some of the rooms and of course the price. The Lodge also alows dogs and even though I don't have one it was nice to see the other guests having their buddy with them on vacation - not a peep was heard from the dog guests either. The Lodge was very clean and the lobby very welcoming as well. It was so nice that they offer a computer for all to use as I had some work to finish and I was able to get it done there. On the day of my departure the Aspen airport closed due to weather and my flight home was cancelled. Front Desk made it a priority to help me catch my connecting flight home from Denver-I was booked on a shuttle service in minutes and made my flight. The Breakfast/Apres ski room is cozy and they go the extra step there too. We had a fire each night in the room and the bed was SO comfortable! The Lodge is walking distance to the town and the fact that they offer a free shuttle to/from the airport is a HUGE plus. If you are looking for value and comfort and the amenities of home this is where to stay. All of the staff were kind and one could tell that they liked their jobs. If I ever return to Aspen this is where I will stay!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank RacineWeekender

Reviewed October 10, 2009

I want to thank whoever mentioned before that the front desk closes early - I made sure to get my internet password and questions answered before the front desk staff left for the evening (8pm during shoulder season).

We are in a fireplace/jacuzzi room - yes it has both a fireplace and a jacuzzi in the room - well, the jacuzzi is actually in the bathroom but it's huge and glass enclosed. There is a private balcony out back that the jacuzzi protrudes onto with a 6 foot wall and we're on the 2nd floor so we don't have to worry about people seeing into the jacuzzi/bathroom. And we don't have to worry about the bears that are supposedly roaming around town.

I absolutely love this place and wish we could buy it. I am a travel counselor and I will be recommending it to my European clients.

One thing to watch out for - when we got here the power had thrown the circuit breaker and there were no lights in the bathroom. We called the front desk and they fixed it within minutes. Then this morning when my husband was using the blow dryer - the lights went out again. I had them show me where the circuit breaker is in case the power went off tonight when we're enjoying the jacuzzi.

It's a perfect location, a very unAmerican hotel - it is not your typical every room is the same hotel. It's inconvenient that the front desk closes, but it's a very well run, friendly establishment. (The breakfast is good too.)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I stayed here one night to see the fall colors in Aspen, in a one bedroom condo with a king bed and pull-out couch. The decorations and furniture in the room were really nice, but it appeared the renovations the hotel underwent ended too early, as the kitchen and bathroom areas could have used an update (I marked the hotel down by 1-star solely because of this reason). The king bed was comfy, like a Westin hotel. We only had one minor issue, which is the bathroom smelled like sewage for a time, but the front staff let me borrow its disinfectant spray, and the smell eventually went away. The staff was really helpful. We enjoyed the free wi-fi internet.

The complimentary breakfast was wonderful (as was the coffee). The hotel served boiled eggs, ham/cheese/tomato slices for bagels, OJ, make-your-own waffles with whipped cream and strawberry sauce, pastries, fruits, yogurt, and cereals. A staff member ensured the food was restocked often.

The hotel comprises two different buildings, and I went through a small alley way to get to mine. There's only about 5 parking spaces dedicated for the back building, or you can park on the street with a parking pass that the hotel gives you (and which they ask you to return when you leave, as it is good for a week). We did not have too much of an issue find parking, and we did not drive anywhere, as the hotel's location was fantastic to downtown. I can see if you get there too late, you may not be able to find parking.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Aspen does the Fourth of July better than anywhere else, and my wife and I just had a blast for three nights and four days thanks to the Molly Gibson and her staff. The Molly is hands down the best value in Aspen, with a spectacular location, a staff that aims to please, and all the amenities you need for a comfortable stay. You can park your car for the weekend, use the hotel's free shuttle, and enjoy everything Aspen has to offer. The rooms are a bit smaller than an average hotel room, but they are very nicely decorated (recently remodeled) and comfortable - we slept great in our room. For my money, there's no reason to stay anywhere else. Can't wait to return when the snow arrives.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColoTrvlr5
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I found the office staff at the Molly Gibson Lodge to be warm, open, courteous, and very helpful in all areas, including parking, town shuttle, nearby restaurants, even the loan of an umbrella during a rain storm. Our room was attractive and clean with a great view out to the garden area with hot tub and swing and comfy chairs under umbrellas for reading or listening to the birds. We stayed five nights for the Aspen Summer Words conference and I had no complaints whatsoever. I loved my time there and I'll return again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I cannot understand why anyone would want to stay anywhere else in Aspen! Why do you go there? To sit in your room? Well flat screen TV and comfortable queen in a clean room..go ahead. For me I go there to ski! To enjoy the night life..restuarants, clubs, shopping.. Last time I was there I saw Buckethead at the Belly Up. Amazing! Local kids and the Bucket was in his robotic chicken coop glory! This little club manages to bring in great acts so check it out.
So if a comfortable bed in a walk to the gondola location suites you for way under 300 a night.. this is your hotel!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard F
Reviewed November 16, 2008

This is one of the true gems of Aspen and to my surprise the hotel has been totally made over. It has been years since I stayed at the Molly and I understand they have new ownership. They obviously have put some money back into the hotel and it shows. We went out to see the last of the fall color change and we ended up booking for winter ski season. Had a poolside room #101 and the furniture and bathroom was all brand new. The bed and sheets were incredible - slept like a baby. When we checked in the staff was so courteous - taking the time to really help us, suggesting restaurants, day activities, etc. The complimentary breakfast was delightful and it was fun to have a choice of three different spa jacuzzis outside. We usually stay at upscale properties but in the current climate, we're cutting back a bit, and it was nice to feel like we were getting great value. We'll be back to take advantage of the fireplace in the room come a snow filled winter! (fingers crossed)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank matthew47