“The Helpful Molly Gibson”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Molly Gibson Lodge

Molly Gibson Lodge
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
“The Helpful Molly Gibson”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a good experience at the Molly Gibson when trapped at the Aspen airport due to weather cancellations. They helped us find a last minute room at a decent rate. The attendant at the front desk was very helpful in making recommendations and getting around town. The bedding was very nice and coffee maker appreciated.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Ollie 1128,

Thank you so much for the nice review and we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you had a great stay and we'll look forward to serving you again in the future.

Jeff Bay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Malvern, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We arrived Super Bowl Sunday, Had a good experience checking in, That first night my room was cold and I couldn't get it to temp to stay warm. In the morning I tripped over a little heater laying on the floor under my TV. I walked past it and never took Notice. for the price I expected more the a 20 dollar fan heater on the floor to keep the room warm. The room needed updating, and a better attention to detail, Most of the staff was friendly except the man at the front desk, when we checked out early, he was quite persistent that no refunds would be given. for early check out no matter what the reason that's our policy he said. Unforcantly we need to get on the road due to weather. business must be unreal to take such a stance after we spent the night freezing in our bed.to me it was all a big waste of money and a poor choice of places to stay.
I personally will never stay there again
Russell

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Russell D,

I see that you travelled with the reviewer below who also asked for a refund due to weather. First of all, thank you for taking the time to write these comments and give us feedback on your stay. I apologize if any portion of your stay was not to your satisfaction. As you can see from the vast majority of our reviews that your experience was very different from most of our guests.

I do want remind you that our cancellation and deposit policies are clearly outlined and explained at the time of booking. We also follow up with a confirmation letter that restates these policies in advance of any monies being taken for a deposit. We also recommend buying trip insurance when traveling to our snowy destination and many times, trip insurance will cover early departures or extra days if a traveler has issues due to adverse weather conditions.

Aspen is a destination resort and most of our guests book in advance in order to arrange travel and activities. When we made reservations for your room, we turned other people away to guarantee this space for you and your co-workers, so when a last minute cancellation is received other potentials guests have lost out and these rooms would have sat empty. While I appreciate your concerns about an incoming storm, it was also out of our control, and this is why we so clearly try to communicate our cancellation policies and suggest trip insurance.

Respectfully,

Bedminster, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

Nice room, location is great, people are friendly and courteous. We arrived super bowl Sunday. Our TV was on "wide" which means a distorted picture (short fat people). The front desk sent 2 people to fix it. They couldn't. Two other people tried again Monday and left a note to basically, deal with it. The web site says Wall Street Journal and NYT's. Nope. The first morning the coffee in the breakfast room was cold and weak. The next morning it was cold and weak again. I advised the front desk and they said the machines had just been recalibrated and they would attend to it. Imagine, skiing in Aspen, 2 feet of new snow, a sunny day ... and the coffee sucks. Maybe my expectations are too high. This place could be outstanding with a little attention to details.

Room Tip: We were in 101. I was very satisfied. Large bathroom. Heat adjustment worked well (so many ski resor...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SansanBedminster_NJ<

Thank you so much for your nice review and feedback on our coffee. We do use a premium roast coffee from a independent roaster in Denver so i am dismayed that it was not to your liking, I assure you that we will get the situation rectified immediately. We do order the WSJ and NYT but being in a remote mountain location occasionally the delivery is delayed, or the few copies we receive are taken by other guests. I'll personally brew you a cup of coffee and save a newspaper for you on your next visit, I hope that you'll give us the chance.

Thanks, Jeff
Reading, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Myself and 3 business associates booked rooms at this location several weeks in advance to conduct 1-2 days of business. For $250-300 per night, I expected to have a decent room being we were in Aspen Colorado. The bathroom was so small I could barely even turn around in it to get in the shower and then i was even hesitant to get a shower with the black that was all over the caulking. See attached pic. My friends room had no regular heat (temperature was in the single digits at night) and his room was heated with a small portable heater. Because we were on a business trip, we had a tight schedule to keep and bad weather was moving in and we were at risk of getting stuck in Aspen so decided to leave a day early and drive to Denver to avoid the storm. We informed the front desk we would be checking out a day early and to our shock, no refund would be given to any of us for not staying the night. Must be nice to be in business and put an extra $1000 in your pocket. If I ever return to Aspen I will not stay at this facility, I would be better off sleeping in a vehicle.

Room Tip: Find a different place to reside
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Trevor M
Dear Trevor M,

I appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. I apologize if any part of your stay was not to your satisfaction. I assure you that we take pride in our hotel and as evidenced by the many, many positive reviews we receive. I am confident that the discolored grout you photographed is not mold, but we will take steps to alleviate this concern in the future. As for not refunding your early departure, we have very clearly written and communicated policies that you were made aware of when you booked with us and also when you checked in. We live in a mountain ski resort in the Colorado Rockies and yes, it snows Most of our guests who stay with us in ski season are excited by this, but if we made exceptions for every snowstorm, cancelled flight, traffic jam or changed plans it would not allow us to serve the many guests who we turn away because we held a guaranteed room for guest such as yourself. We certainly don't make any extra money as you infer as Aspen is a destination resort and people make their plans well in advance, we don't have people just drop in at the last minute to book rooms.

We appreciate your feedback and again, my apologies for any misperception you may have of us.

Respectfully,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

We spent 8 nights at the Molly Gibson in a molly king room. The welcome was very friendly the receptionist was extremely welcoming, the room was very spacious with a fireplace and logs to light up, we didn't get the opportunity.
There are lockers for your skis which is excellent and something we had missed on the hotel website.
Breakfast is good there is a choice of fruit, yogurts, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage , pancakes and some daily variables such as quiche or burritos, there is tea and coffee and juice. The Coffee could be stronger, sorry I forgot to mention this in my comment card.

The location is good the bus to Aspen stops right outside, and to Snowmass and Buttermilk just across the road, you can easily walk into town.

There is an Après evening each day, with wine and beer, chocolate fountain, various hot dishes , you could actually make it dinner and I'm sure some people did !

No hesitation in recommending the Molly

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank varney
Dear varney,

Thanks so much for staying with us and we're so glad you enjoyed a nice long vacation with us! It sounds like you had an opportunity to try out all of our free amenities and services and enjoyed them all. Please come back again soon!

Take care,

Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at the Molly Gibson over the Christmas holiday break booking months in advance.
We had originally booked a 2 bedroom room but the hotel contacted us offering 2 inter joining rooms for the same price which seemed like a good offer.

The staff at check-in seemed friendly but the reception is not 24 hours so when we went to leave at 6am for an 11am Denver flight, we had to leave our card in the room. I would have thought that the hotel was of reasonable enough size to have a 24-hour desk but obviously not so.
There is a heated jacquzzi there which was fun to use, especially since there was snow outside.
The afternoon refreshments had something different each day we used it.
Breakfast was OK for a hotel of its size.

The location was reasonable, it wasn't too far to walk into town and there is a bus stop across the road to get to Snowmass.

The walls in the rooms seem paper thin and as such the noise from other rooms carries very easily. A couple of days when we were in our room we heard the loud thuds of ski boots on the deck as the skiers came back. We also heard a couple of domestics between parent and child and between adults.

This was my first time in Aspen so I cannot compare the hotel to others, but from travelling experience if you can get past the noise, then you will have a reasonable stay. The room seemed a bit pricey for what we got.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear needs2escape,

I so appreciate your candid feedback and we are glad that you had a great first trip to Aspen. As we are a authentic Aspen Ski Lodge built in the 50's (but completely updated) we are unique, but unfortunately the construction standards back then and the materials they had were a bit different from today, Most of our guest love our authenticity and charm, but I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us so we can continue to look for ways to improve. As for our prices, Aspen is a very expensive place to stay, and our prices are usually half of our competitors, and we include breakfast, parking, wifi, phone calls, airport transportation, Apres ski reception at no extra cost. I believe we are a tremendous value.

Hope to see you again on another trip to Aspen!

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Molly Gibson - it was really affordable, right in town and we adored the real fireplace. We also appreciated the generous hot breakfast as we were able to quickly get on the mountain each morning after a hearty and healthy tuck-in. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristine C
Dear Kristine C,

Thanks so much for the kind words and hope that you can come visit again. We'll have hot coffee and pancakes waiting!