“Good, except for parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Molly Gibson Lodge

Molly Gibson Lodge
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Denver, Colorado
“Good, except for parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

For price and location, I give this property high marks. For parking, not so much. Could depend on what's going on in town during your stay. In our case it was a rugby tournament. Parking was a definite downer. The sites on the property were for compact cars only. Nearby street parking was 2-hour limited. If you don't mind schlepping your luggage from a distance, then neighborhood parking is available. Our stay was part of a 50th anniversary celebration/camping trip. We have a pickup truck with a gas fridge for the camping part of our trip. The only nearby parking was not level, causing the fridge to stop and our food to defrost. :-(.

Room Tip: Second floor, over the large hot tub was quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear ColoJo38,

Thank you so much for the nice review and I am so pleased that you found your stay with us enjoyable. I do apologize if you found the parking situation challenging, and I'm unsure why you had so much difficulty. In addition to the compact spots in our alleyway we also have over a dozen standard sized spots directly in front of the hotel, as well as easily accessible street parking adjacent to the hotel on all 3 sides and we provide complimentary permits to use any of these. I hope that you will come back and allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

Jeff Bay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We never actually stayed in this hotel. Make sure you review the cancellation policy very closely when you book. Their cancellation policy is a two week window, not a 24 or 48 hour like most hotels. Our flight got delayed and I tried to cancel our stay. The management was unhelpful and not apologetic at all. It would have been nice if they would have at least offered us a credit to stay there another time since they still charged my card for the stay. They offered us nothing, and it seemed like second nature for them to do so. It seemed to us that this was a big money making avenue for them. I asked if they were able to book the same room to someone else, would they still charge us? They said definitely yes. Honestly, they didn't offer us ANYTHING for charging my card in full. Don't stay here unless you know for sure you will not need to cancel.....

3 Thank Christina386
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Christina 386,

My apologies to you and I'm very sorry that you have an impression of us that is less than understanding of your situation.

I do want to confirm with you that our cancellation and deposit policies are clearly outlined and explained on Expedia and our own website at the time of booking and that we always suggest trip insurance to cover situations such as this in the unlikely event that they occur. Expedia also follows up with a confirmation letter that restates these policies in advance of any monies being taken for a deposit.

Aspen is a destination resort and most of our guests book in advance in order to arrange travel and activities. When we made your room reservation we turned other people away to guarantee your room, so when a last minute cancellation is received other potentials guests have lost out and the room sat empty. While I appreciate your situation it was not our fault and this is why we so clearly try to communicate our cancellation policies and suggest trip insurance. In fact, trip insurance is available with just one click on Expedia for a very nominal fee and would have alleviated this entire situation.

That being said, I'm sure that this is a challenging time and if I might earn the opportunity to I would be pleased to work with you on a credit for your unused stay.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience so that I may try to assist you further.

Respectfully,

Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We met up with our families for a weekend wedding and had a great time. The room service could have been a little quicker and more details on how to light a fire would have been helpful.(We set off the smoke detector in our attempts to have a romantic fire!) Our daughter stayed on a one bedroom suite which was perfect with a two year old with the ability to cook some meals. The breakfast was enough to get us going on our way. Parking was not a problem on nearby streets. We were able to keep our car parked and walk into nearby shops and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear kukana77,

Thanks so much for your nice review and we're so pleased you had a nice stay with us. I'm so sorry if you had difficulty light your fireplace as we do place instructions in the room, however many people are not familiar with real wood burning fireplaces (and in Hawaii I suspect there's not a lot of them) so occasionally we do get questions. A quick call to the front desk would have resulted in immediate assistance. We look forward to having you back now that you are a campfire expert :-)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I spent 11 days from 31/03/13 at the Molly Gibson Lodge,this was to celebrate our 25 wedding anniversary. The staff on reception were extremely helpful. We were upgraded to a deluxe room which had a hot tub and a real log fire. the breakfast was good and got us off to a great start. Afternoon tea was served with a smile and was plentiful. The location was central. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff & we would certainly return there. Certainly a memorable holiday. The best ever.

Stayed April 2013
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Neil B,

First of all, congratulations on 25 wonderful years! I'm so pleased that we could be a part of your celebration and that you truly enjoyed our hotel, service and amenities. We hope to see you again next year for #26!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was our first trip to Aspen. It was a quiet fall weekend. We chose the Molly Gibson Lodge because it was affordable and pet friendly. We brought our dog with us.

The things that were great about our stay:
Free parking, free wifi, and free hot breakfast.
Check in/check out staff were friendly and helpful.
Our Molly King room was a decent size, and comfortable overall.
The location was a short walk from many shops, restaurants, and the Aspen Saturday Market.
The fees and guidelines for having a dog were very reasonable.
There were some nice extras, such as offered dog treats (at check-in), a fireplace in our room, bicycles available for use by guests, and a nicely appointed pool / pool-deck.

Housekeeping needed improvement:
Our house-keeping experience was terrible. Our garbage was emptied, but that's basically it. Our bed was not made, the sink was not wiped, the coffee supplies were not refilled, and they took a bath-mat and a towel out of the bathroom, but didn't replace them. I should have informed the front desk after the first day of our housekeeping concerns, but I'm not a complainer, and I thought it was a "fluke". Unfortunately we had 2 days of poor housekeeping service, and then we were scheduled for check-out on the 3rd day.

As other reviews stated, it was a little noisy. We could easily hear the guests staying above us on the 2nd floor. If you are a light sleeper, I recommend you request a room on the 2nd floor, and away from the pool area.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay (the dog enjoyed his stay, too). The good outweighed the bad, and the Molly Gibson Lodge was a good value for our weekend getaway dollars.

Dear Lauren034,

Thank you for your overall positive review and your candid feedback regarding your experience. I'm very pleased that you found our hotel convenient and a excellent value. My sincere apologies if any portion of your stay was less than you expected. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you and see what I can do to make it right if you would allow me to. Please contact me at jeff.bay@mollygibson.com.

Best ref=grads,

Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

After traveling around Colorado for a week, we arrive in Aspen when there was a Pro bike race going on (unbeknownst to us at the time we booked). We said, "let's not stay in Aspen, the streets are blocked, the race is right outside our hotel--this will be a huge, noisy event." Well, we decided to stay one night, and see. When we checked in, the front desk crew couldn't have been nicer. They gave us parking passes to park right outside the hotel, and upgraded our room to a very quiet suite with a jacuzzi tub located in the back building. It was wonderful. The beds and pillows were comfortable, the room was clean. The location was convenient to restaurants, shops, and the bike venue. They even had local bike time trials just steps from the hotel. We had a fabulous time. Oh, and coffee and cookies in the lobby, and a big breakfast each morning. Of all the hotels we stayed in in Colorado, this was the best value.

Room Tip: The back building was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Onceabear,

"What a treat" it was to read your nice review! Thank you so much, we're glad that you had a amazing time with us and enjoyed the US Pro Bike Challenge. There's always something exciting going on in Aspen, so come again soon!

Take care,
Cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I really wanted to like this lodge. The check in staff were super friendly,the breakfast was great,free ice water in the lounge etc. Unfortunately,the room we were given had the noisiest air con I have ever encountered. Im not sure if this is reflective of the other rooms or was just a problem in our room but it made it impossible to sleep. We are by no means light sleepers,this was easily the loudest air con system I have ever heard.

Upon check out.we weren't asked how our stay was so perhaps this is a known issue with some rooms. I understand this is cheaper accomodation in Aspen but if you cannot sleep during your stay then you havent had a bargain at all.

Room Tip: Ask about the noise from the air con
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Torres9_9

Thanks so much for letting us know that you enjoyed our service and amenities. I'm so sorry if our new LG Energy Star air conditioners in one of our over 50 rooms kept you up, but we have many rooms to choose from with different configurations and would have happily offered you an alternate choice had you let us know with a single call to any of our staff.while you were here. We do care genuinely care about all of our guests and their experiences and would have taken any steps we could have while you were here to make your stay perfect. I hope that you may give us an opportunity to have you stay with us in the future to show you our sincerity.

Best regards,