“Great value, wonderful staff and location”
Review of Molly Gibson Lodge

Molly Gibson Lodge
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I can't fathom how someone would not like this charming place. I do know there are some back rooms behind the pool that would lack charm, but we loved our room, and the housekeeping staff were amazing. The location is perfect for the bus line in Aspen, and no more than a block walk gets one picked up to any of the four resorts. I thought the overall deal was incredible considering one is in Aspen. I expected fairly pedestrian for $130, and the breakfast and Apres ski quality of food and drinks was more than acceptable, considering it was free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the basement level.
  • Stayed: March 2011
HotelAspen, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2011

Dear caryva,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, we work hard to provide a great value in a comfortable, upscale relaxed environment. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Jeff Bay

Reviewed March 29, 2011

Location is good, breakfast included is decent, price is okay...big disappointment in rooms. Don't believe the photos...rooms are dated, stuffy, and small, and I didn't know that asking for queen sized beds meant we would be relegated to the basement, or the "garden level." These rooms are underground and the small windows are level with the back alley. Very disappointing. The beds were not comfortable and the room also was on the walkway to the breakfast room so very noisy. Also was surprised to return from skiing to a room that hadn't been cleaned. I would recommend to someone only with full disclosure.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Dear ccroot,

Thank you for posting your comments about our hotel, we take your feedback seriously and strive to provide a great experience to all of our guests.

I am sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay with us and I wish I would have had the opportunity to address this for you while you were staying with us rather than read about it here, as I respond to all guest concerns immediately. Nevertheless, I would appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you and can be reached at any time.

I am disappointed that you rated our entire hotel poorly based on the impression of a single room. We take great pride in our property and would have gladly made every effort to move you to a room that would have met your expectations. All of our rooms have been completely renovated with new furniture (including double pillow top mattresses, 300 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and down duvets), new carpet, flat screen TV's, IPod alarm clocks and much more. We feature rooms with fireplaces, in-room jetted tubs and a variety of layouts to accommodate a wide range of tastes.

We feature a delicious complimentary full breakfast, free wireless internet, free parking, free airport transportation and we truly feel that if you compare our hotel to any other hotel in Aspen in our price range you will find that Molly Gibson Lodge represents a tremendous value for the money and a warm, relaxing and comfortable lodging experience.

I'm also sorry that your room was not cleaned when you returned from skiing. I do not know when you returned but we have over 50 rooms to clean on a busy day and we want to make sure all are cleaned to our high standards, we guarantee all rooms to be cleaned by 4 pm and if you planned on returning prior to this a simple mention to the front desk would have ensured your rooms preparedness upon your return.

Our many, many positive reviews support that what you experienced are certainly the exception, not the norm. I hope that you will contact me so that I can arrange a return stay at our hotel so that I can demonstrate this to you in person.

Best regards,

Jeff Bay
jeff.bay@mollygibson.com

Reviewed March 15, 2011

Recently stayed at the Molly Gibson Lodge and was incredibly dissapointed given the glowing reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. Our room, #123, was awful. Very small, yucky carpet and minimal cheap furniture, filthy bath floor, sink's water faucets spun around so it was always a guess to turn on the water and it leaked non-stop. I always felt I was walking through dark tunnels to get around in the hotel. And it was expensive. The good points include a comfortable bed and it was within walking distance of town. Will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
MollyGibsonLodge, General Manager at Molly Gibson Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Dear Terry 303,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us, we take your comments and opinions seriously and will take whatever steps we can to continue to improve our product and services
We wholeheartedly apologize if any part of your stay was less than you satisfactory. As you can see from the many, many positive reviews we have received that what you encountered was certainly an exception to our usual high standards. I am disappointed to learn of your experience here on Tripadvisor rather than while you were here, as I would have done my best to rectify any deficiency immediately. I hope that you will contact me so that I might offer you the opportunity to make this right for you

In the last 2 years all of the property’s guestrooms were renovated with wood floors or new carpet, contemporary furnishings, High Definition flat panel televisions, I Pod Docking stations and plush bedding,. We feature a beautiful outdoor pool and 3 hot tubs. Our property’s trademark friendly service and intimate feel remain unchanged. The result is an Aspen accommodation that is modern, stylish, yet still affordable.

We are very proud of all of our guest rooms; however the room you reserved and stayed in is our least expensive rom type, our Courtyard room. We purposely set the price on these rooms to be as affordable as possible, but they do not feature King Beds, Fireplaces, Jetted Tubs or larger square footage that many of our other rooms offer. This is clearly explained on our entire website, advertising and marketing material. We offer these rooms to budget conscious travelers looking for clean, comfortable basic lodging, but we have many other rooms and suites available to choose from. I appreciate your comments on the room being “expensive” but in comparison to any other lodging property in Aspen we feel we provide a better value
We offer a complimentary full hot breakfast with fresh coffee, juices, tea and cocoa, made to order waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, home-style potatoes, bagels and a toaster to heat them, fresh fruit, eggs, meats and cheeses, pastries, cereal and fresh bread. We also include complimentary parking, wireless internet, complimentary airport transportation and several daily newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

We truly feel that if you compare our hotel to any other hotel in Aspen in our price range you will find that the Molly Gibson Lodge represents a tremendous value for the money and a warm, relaxing and comfortable lodging experience.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to see you back in aspen and the Molly Gibson Lodge soon,

Best regards,

Jeff Bay C.H.A.

Reviewed March 11, 2011

We have been staying at the Molly Gibson Lodge since the 1990s and love it...clean attractive rooms, 3 hottubs, gorgeous heated outdoor pool, all this in addition to a daily full breakfast and apres ski, come with your room reservation. Better yet, it is so centrally located that you can walk to anything in central Aspen. A true gem.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We have been to Aspen a few times during this winter for a combination of business and leisure. We continue to return to the Molly Gibson Lodge because we just love it. It is a great place to stay for a romantic getaway or with family. The location is perfect, the staff is wonderful, the rooms are great, and on top of that they have a complimentary awesome happy hour with great appetizers as well. When you wake up you are invited to a complimentary breakfast that is also wonderful. Aspen has many hotels and lodges but we are so happy with Molly Gibson that we will continue to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed gere for ten days in Febuary and I have no real gripes at all!

The après ski is a great treat, small snacks with local beer and wine! The atmosphere was slightly lacking but if you are with a group that doesn,t matter.

My main niggles were:
a) the hot tubs were permanently covered meaning that you had to open them every time you use them, this is very unusual compared to other places we have stayed.
B) they do have ski lockers but you have to collect and return your key to reception each time you open them! The key should be issued on your arrival for the duration of your stay!

Other than that, the staff were really helpful and friendly, cleaning was done daily and the room although not spacious was absolutely adequate! This hotel is situated perfectly for the ski buses to all four of the resorts!

A good place to eat is the Hickory house which is basically a ten minute walk away from town!!

We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I was originally thinking of whether it's worth booking a room with a fireplace and a jacuzzi...Yes, it definitely was!! We never had stayed in a room like this before. What can be better than relaxing in a jacuzzi after a day of skiing and afterwards spend some romantic time by the fireplace...We didn't have to go out to eat every day, sometimes we just ordered sushi or something and had a special romantic dinner by the fireplace in our room.
The room was immaculately clean. The location is perfect. The bus stop is right by the hotel, a free bus takes you to the mountains.
The service is great. Apres ski with free beer and wine as well as snacks is nice! The front desk is really caring. Thanks to Greg who was really helpful with all the tips on Aspen, including good restaurants (Pitkin County Steakhouse was the best!).
If we come back to Aspen, which we plan, we will definitely stay in this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple