“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I mean, it's the Little Nell so you can't go wrong :) Great staff. Loved our room and the hotel, but even with a discount during the office season I think it's overpriced. The location would be fabulous during ski season though. After our wedding (at The Little Nell), we stayed in a premium mountain side room for our mini-honeymoon. It was huge, with great amenities. I loved being able to sit on the couch and look out onto the gondola and the mountain. The room decor still manages to have an 80s vibe to it even despite remodels, but that's sort of Aspen I think. We stayed at the Limelight before moving over to the Nell and the decor/vibe (and price) at the Limelight is more our style. That being said, staying here was fabulous and we would not hesitate to go back.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
ATL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my first visit to the Nell - a five star hotel that I had always wanted to visit. I was disappointed in my stay. To be fair, the rooms are spacious and the property is in a great location. The staff is kind and very helpful. However, the hotel is pet friendly. ALL rooms are pet friendly rooms and this is not clearly pointed out on the hotel website, nor prior to making the room deposit.
Many hotels are pet friendly, however most restrict this accommodation to select rooms - not the entire hotel. Many people have pet allergies and in my case, I NEVER reside in vacation properties that allow pets. This is because people do not clean as well as they think and I do not relish the thought of lying in a bed of dog hair. During check in, I discussed this with the clerk and was told that "we clean our rooms very well and if there is any problem, we will change your room". Sure enough, there was dog hair on the chairs and the hallway had the faint odor of 'wet dog". Changing rooms is an unsatisfactory solution if all rooms allow pets AND I already smell odor in the hall.

Again, the pet accommodation should be made more obvious on the website and prior to the purchase of a room. This property is not quite up to five star standards. I would likely stay at the St. Regis on a future visit.

• 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank KHGAtl
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear KHGAtl,
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and the size of our rooms. I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room, as we strive to have the utmost cleanliness in our rooms and hallways.
I sincerely thank you for your constructive feedback – you make some excellent points regarding our pet policy, which I plan to discuss and consider with my staff.
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our second stay at the Little Nell - both times in the Fall. Colorado resident rate allows us in-staters to experience the Little Nell's award winning service. October in Aspen still provides plenty of good weather and the Nell is a great place to stay! Spacious rooms and nice amenities. Staff that are genuinely helpful and friendly without being overbearing. Used the fitness center this stay and it has everything you need for a good workout.

Room Tip: When you get the Colorado resident rate you get a town side room. Not as pretty or as large as the m...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights and 4 days at the end of the September to beginning of October. The color of Aspen this fall was amazing. Little Nell is one of the luxurious, high end hotel in Aspen. From front entrance to the room, very clean, decorated with unique furnitures and felt very cozy yet, spacious.

We took a private tour of Aspen scheduled by concierge was great.
Next time, we will try to use their adventure team to schedule some activities. The valet service to dining experience was spot on.
Their restaurant served amazing food and wine. Pool side service was
Convenient, when we wanted to be little lazy and eat light for the dinner.

Complimentary snack and non alcoholic beverages made stay little easier.
City market was only 2 blocks away but when we are ready to go shopping or hiking, it was just easier to grab few snack and water to be on the road.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Grandmajung,
I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay in Aspen. It was the perfect time to be here, as the fall colors were peaking and as golden as they get. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed your private tour of Aspen and would certainly recommend you join our adventure team on your next stay. Our Jeep tours are a fantastic way to see autumn in Aspen, and fly fishing this time of year can’t be beat.
I hope we can welcome you back to the property again soon,
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We travel to Aspen every Fall to enjoy the colors that are always spectacular the end of September and have stayed at The Little Nell for the past three+ years. Once again, we commented all weekend what a great hotel we choose to stay in. There are many choices in Aspen, but none of them compare to the service and attention by the staff you will receive at The Nell. The staff always look you in the eye, greet you by name, ask what they can do for you to make you stay better. The staff at The Nell really want you to enjoy Aspen and all that it has to offer. They are a great resource for restaurant recommendations, hiking trails and day trips. We decided to do a Jeep Tour through the Nell and had a fantastic guide. He was very knowledgeable about the area and we had great conversation. The tour also included a wonderful snack prepared by Element 47. It really was a highlight of our trip. It gave us a different way to explore Aspen Mountain. The location of The Little Nell can not be beat. It is walking distance to anything you need to do in town, if you need a ride due to weather etc the staff at The Nell is there to take you. Once again, The Nell is the best in Aspen and we look forward to returning again next year!

Room Tip: We have always had a Premium Mountainside room which is my preference and spectacular. They are quie...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jen E
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Little Nell is no longer a hotel, it's a legend. Shambhalla of North American Skiing or perhaps Mount Olympus more appropriate? If mentioned careless conversation will shudder and stop with the atmosphere becoming all dreamy and slightly heavy with symbolism and meaning.

It's been the only luxury hotel in Aspen since forever. Families have been faithfully coming for generations once or twice a year for reunions, it's a place for celebrities and state dignitaries to stay when in town. All this supremacy is due to the only crucial advantage: ski-in/ski-out at the base of Ajax. You can't repeat the past? Children's play, try to repeat this location!

The hotel has been recently refurbished. The rooms are spacious with tons of storage, nice bathrooms and gas fireplace. Food is delicious, room service is super fast.

Great service from the guys working there: switched-on and very friendly.

However, despite the location, this Emperor is poorly dressed: its hideously looking 80s architecture apparently thought to be best complimented by beige, unremarkable decor ("neutral and sleek contemporary" whatever) brings the type of dull and simultaneously harrowing pain from boredom that maybe you'll have from enjoying lunar landscape.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MsPapercut
Dear MsPapercut,
I love your description of the “legendary” Little Nell and am tempted to share sentences with our marketing director to steal them… thank you for the kind words and colorful description. I agree, the location simply can’t be beat.
We are, indeed, a child of the 80s, built in 1989 at the base of Aspen Mountain. Our guest room remodel in 2009, Living Room remodel in 2011 and V.I.P. suite remodel this season are our most recent upgrades. The new “Aspen Modern” aesthetic runs throughout the guest rooms, which are imbued with warm palettes of cream, blue and chocolate, and accentuated by textured fabrics and unique modern art. Room tip: If you like more color, please request a blue room – we’re happy to add that to your guest profile for future stays – as some of our rooms are “creamier” in color than others.
Warm regards,
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I usually spend a few days every fall in the mountains for the fall colors. This year, I spent a couple of days in Aspen. The Little Nell is by far one of the best hotels I have ever experienced. From my arrival and the valet service to check out, everything was spot on. The bed was SO comfortable! I stayed on the town view side. I noticed some others had mentioned noise. I only noticed the buses and that was only with the door to the balcony open. I ordered room service, just a simple fruit plate and OJ. It came with some delicious yogurt and a cute little roll (sugared brioche). The mini bar is complimentary with the exception of alcohol. This was extremely handy-just to grab a granola bar or sack of chips to take with me while I was out taking in the leaves. Having a fireplace in the room was awesome after coming in from the cool night air. The bathroom was large with two vanities (while it was just me travelling, it's still nice to have the room. There is also a large dressing area off the bathroom and a VERY large closet so if you are staying for several days, there is room to put away your clothes. The concierge was very helpful although I wasn't able to take the horseback ride I had hoped, they nevertheless did the legwork and communicated my options to me.
Overall, I could not have asked for a better trip and I will definitely be making a return trip to the Little Nell in the future!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aspen
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Hotel Aspen
#10 of 36 in Aspen
4.0 of 5 stars 424 reviews
Sky Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to The Little Nell? Share your experiences!