“first rate hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sebastopol, California
“first rate hotel”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

It was a pleasure to stay at hotel that was top notch in very way. We're not used to staying at "better" lodging as we commonly stay at 3-star chains. But we were able to splurge because of the off-season Fall rates at Aspen. Also refreshing that this "fancy" hotel was very down to earth in this very pretentious town of Aspen. The staff was more than helpful, as they went to the trouble of making copies of hiking maps. And the breakfasts were way above average. Downtown location could not be better. They even hand out loaner bikes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Midwest
Reviewed October 6, 2010

First of all, the hotel accommodations and breakfast was superior. The hotel is located within walking distance of most places in town (but keep in mind that even in early October on a weekend night, downtown had little activity). The place receives my highest kudos and I travel several times a month. My issue is with the added on fees. And I'm not talking about the $15-$30 resort fee. I booked a room at expedia.com. Expedia added on the tax (I asked the hotel for their tax rate) PLUS $30. I thought they had collected the resort fee in advance, which was fine. Later I find out this wasn't the case. When I inquired with Expedia what the $30 fee was, I was told, "the taxes and service fees charged on your hotel booking is a combination of two separate charges: tax recovery charges that Expedia pays to the hotel to cover the taxes owed by the hotel on your hotel stay and service fees which are retained by Expedia as compensation. Expedia does not separate these amounts because of confidentiality obligations to the hotel suppliers." In short, this room cost me an extra $30 over the price advertised that caught my eye. This, in addition, to the resort fee. It didn't turn out to be such a good deal. Had Expedia made this more clear, I would have likely selected different accommodations that I personally felt would have offered better value for the money. Also, the front desk clerks did not seem all the interested in helping me figure out this extra charge, saying only that they didn't have those answers/figures when booked directly through Expedia. Guess I should have booked directly with the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Limelightlodge, Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the classic Limelight Lodge here in beautiful Aspen, Colorado. We know you have many options when you travel to Aspen, and we are thrilled you picked to stay at our property.

We have recently noticed your review on TripAdvisor and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We would like to apologize for the additional fees that were charged through our property as well as through Expedia. We have contacted Expedia and with their help we were able to resolve this issue. Expedia will send you a refund within the next two weeks for the amount that was double charged for each night you stayed with us.

We strive to make sure our guests are completely satisfied with their stay and we thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

We hope you plan to come and visit us again, let us know how we can help with any future reservations. Again, please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. If you have any additional concerns or comments, please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Richard Stettner
970.925.5802
holmdel new jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2010

we stayed at this hotel march 2009 and 2010. loved it, but it no longer is family owned and it already shows, room prices have almost doubled, and now they charge a $30.00 per day resort fee. this is a lodge not a resort. i did call about the $30.00 they told me it is for the continental breakfast, internet ski valet etc. keep in mind parking is additional , no health spa or gym, you have to pay to go to work out at a local spa. i loved the fact that this was a lodge, casual , friendly , low key. if i am going to be paying for a resort, i will now stay at a resort in town. such a shame. we really loved this place. nothing lasts forever. also the breakfast was nothing great.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

From the moment we pulled up to the hotel we received 5 star service. The staff helped us plan our day trips, was incredibly friendly to our 2 dogs, offered cruiser bikes to get around town, picked 8 of us up from dinner when we were too tired to walk back to the lodge & even provided coupons for the gondola. Thanks guys we will be back soon !!

• Stayed September 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My husband and I went to Aspen to hike at Maroon Bells. Friends and family joined us and we all stayed at the Limelight Lodge and brought our dogs. From the moment we arrived, the staff was friendly and welcoming. The Limelight Lodge is in an excellent location directly across the street from Wagner Park and one block to town. Our room was quite plush and everything was well-designed. I loved the wide hallways and bathroom sheleves. The pool and 2 oversixzed hot tubs were very nice after a day of hiking. The breakfast was well run and the graonola was superb. I can't wait to go back and have decided to make the Limelight Lodge my Aspen home!

Colorado Springs, Colorado

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I could write and write, but it comes down to, just stay here. The Limelight met and exceeded all of our expectations. The staff are friendly and professional at the same time. Our room had everything that we could have wanted. Our research was done thru Tripadvisor and AAA and we could not have wanted or more.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I stayed at the Limelight for 4 nights with 2 friends over Labor Day weekend. The hotel is in a great location by Butler Park. We had a deluxe queen room. It was very large and the 3 of us did not feel cramped at all. The front desk staff was very friendly and willing to help. The guys who drove the shuttle were also very nice. We used them to and from the airport and to many different places in town. I was never up before 10am so I can't comment on the continental breakfast. They open there bar in the late afternoon and have cheese crackers/breadsticks to snack on. They have complimentary bikes for guest use. They have a pool and hot tub. There is also a small work out room- but why workout inside when the weather is so great outside?
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends