“Loved the Limelight”

The Limelight Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We have just returned from our trip to the Limelight Lodge. The property is beautiful. Our room was clean, and had extras we weren't expecting. The ipod docking station was a nice touch! The room was large, and the bathroom was beautiful. The staff was very responsive to our requests. Our room did not get cleaned until dinnertime, but we were not in a rush to have it serviced (we did have to call to get clean towels, however). It was in walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go while we were there. Who would have thought you could swim in the middle of winter! We took advantage of this ammenity, and absolutely enjoyed the pool and hot tubs. If we are ever in Aspen again, we will absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 27, 2008

We stayed at the Limelight for 4 nights in mid-December for a quick ski trip. The hotel is new, after the old hotel was apparently torn down completely and built back up. The rooms are as depicted in the pictures on their website. Beds are very comfortable with better bedding. Towels were still fluffy and bath products are on the higher end. The little touches are appreciated, like the Ipod docking station. The walls are thin so noise in the hallway (like from the housekeeping staff) is fairly noticeable.
The hot tubs and pool are very nice, and of adequate size for the hotel. There's a great view up Ajax mountain while sitting in them.

Extras were included in the room rate, which were both convenient and budget-friendly. Breakfast is included, and consists of 'help yourself' yogurt, granola, cold cereals, oatmeal packets (with access to the microwave), breads and muffins, fresh fruit and meats and cheeses. (There seems to be some catering to the European set - there was a large tour group of Germans there during our stay.) Throughout the day, coffee, tea and hot cocoa are available in the lobby free of charge, as well as with the coffee makers that come in the rooms. In the evenings, red and white wine is set out along with cheese and crackers, again at no charge. Note there is no bar or restaurant in the hotel.

Service is average. The staff still seemed to be getting up to speed when we were there. They were moderately helpful, but were new and didn't always know how best to help. Don't count on them for restaurant recommendations or information about the public transportation system or mountains. It took two times at the hotel and another time once I got home to get my bill to accurately reflect my stay. The housekeeping staff isn't very speedy yet either. We didn't have our room cleaned until 5:00 one night, and talked to several other guests who had their rooms made up fairly late in the day.

The location of the hotel is excellent. It's one block (cutting cross lots) from the main bus terminal for the mountain shuttles. It's approximately three blocks to the Ajax gondola. There are also several good restaurants and bars within a few blocks. It seemed that everywhere we wanted to go was on the end of town where the Limelight is located.

Overall, we enjoyed staying here and would do so again. The location is great and the rooms are brand new and quite comfortable. Service could be better, but maybe will improve with time. Although this isn't the place if you want a lot of great service.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
bwyatt1009, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2009

Thank you for the candid review of our hotel. We just opened our doors in late November 2008 and are still working out some of the kinks. We recognize our service was not quite up to the standard we expect but I know we will improve with experience. We were only open about 3 weeks at the time of your visit!

For example we've now added a ski and snowboard valet and have added complimentary on-mountain storage.

Thanks again for your fairness and honesty and anyone who reads this I invite to email me personally if you have any questions about the Limelight Lodge.
Brad Wyatt
Limelight Lodge
bradwyatt@limelightlodge.com

Reviewed December 26, 2008

From loaning me a shovel and brush to remove snow from my rental car to free overnight check-in of skis at the base of any of the four mountains, it couldn't have been more delightful. I failed to avail myself of the 30-car underground parking at first, but later realized what a good value it was.

I had a marvelous view of Aspen Mtn. from my 4th floor wrap-around balcony as well as a perspective of half of Aspen.

Kindness and caring at every turn. $50M on this completely rebuilt facility has been well spent. Only three short blocks from gondola and two blocks from the transportation center. I'm already dreaming of my next stay at the Limelight Lodge.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank setayw
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Stayed up in Aspen the end of the season and stayed at the Limelight Lodge. Old property but very clean, the real value is the service. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels over the years but have never experienced a family run hotel that sets the bar higher than five star properties. This group of dedicated people made reservations, activities, and suggested dining. They made our trip one of the best we have had in years. Complimentary breakfast was wonderful as well as visiting with other guests from all over the world. My wife and I love the Limelight Lodge and we just found out that they are redeveloping the hotel into a larger brand new hotel opening ski season 2008/2009.
Love the location just a block from the very center of all the action.
You will never stay anywhere else in Aspen!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
bwyatt1009, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2008

Thank you for the lovely review of the Limelight Lodge.

Our hotel has been completely rebuilt and will reopen November 2008. We are still family owned and operated by the same family for more than 50 years.

We will have the same personal service but with a brand spanking new building. Please get in touch with me personally if you have any questions about the new Limelight Lodge. I hope you will consider us when you make vacation plans for Aspen.
Brad Wyatt

Reviewed October 18, 2005

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights 4 & 5 October.
I chose it because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and we wern't disappointed. The hotel is only a few hundred yards from the centre of Aspen and very good value.
The rooms are of a standard motel type but are very clean and a good size. There is a small outdoor pool . . . . and I mean small! We were given a disc to display in the front of our car which enabled us to park right outside the hotel on the street.
The staff are very friendly, efficient and knowledgeable about local restaurants & sights.
The breakfast, included in the price, is reasonable - fruit, bagels, pastries, cereals, yoghurts, hard boiled eggs, juices, coffee, hot chocolate etc.
I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank TeessideTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2005

This hotel is so close to teverything in town and the bus route for Snowmass yet it is very quiet. We have stayed at a few places right on main street and this place is just a few blocks closer to Aspen Mt. and a lot of the bars but if you go backand forth a lot like we did it makes a difference. The staff is very nice and the continental breakfast is decent though not quite as good as Hotel Aspen. The place wasredone last year so still a little dowdy but clean and new. We stayed there the last 2 years and last year a bit of a glich since the hotel was sold to new owners between the time we made the reservation and our sty. We wanted 2 beds in the room instead of one king size but this year when we made the reservation they seemed like they got it. Rooms are quite large and they evn have one bedroom suites that have 2 bathrooms. No cool bar to hang out at but so close to everywhere doesn't matter and they do have free wine and cheesef at happy hour in the lobby. Plus great free hot chocolate all the time.

• Stayed: March 2004
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver
Reviewed July 18, 2005

I'm a wedding planner and I stayed at the Limelight over a weekend when I was coordinating a wedding in Aspen. My clients chose this hotel so I read the reviews on-line before I left and was impressed to see how many people raved about it. Well, the room was clean, but nothing over the top. It was simple, but included the necessities of a business trip (iron, mini fridge, etc). What really impressed me was the service I received. I never waited more than 30 seconds at the front desk, the maintenance staff helped me find my room, and the entire staff was more than excited to help with anything I needed.

I experienced the staff's kindness on my second day in Aspen. I had not booked a hotel room for Saturday night as I was planning to drive home 3.5 hours to Denver directly after the wedding ended at 7PM. I didn't wrap up until 9:00 and was dreading the drive. I decided it might be safer to stay the night and asked a few hotels for pricing. Unfortunately, most of the hotels in town were sold out or too pricey so I decided to head out of Aspen. As I was leaving, I drove by Limelight's street and decided to see whether they had vacancy. The man at the counter told me they only had 2 rooms available and each was $179. I told him that I only asked because I didn't want to drive home to Denver that late at night, but was hoping not to spend that much. I was ready to say thanks and head out of Aspen when he said that he'd rather that I be safe and offered me $139. I was relieved, checked in, and enjoyed a good night's rest. The next day, he gave me another 10% off! My bill came to $139 with tax. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for service with a smile from people who care about their guests. Thank you Limelight!!!!

Stayed: July 2005