“Could be a great place . . .with a little tweaking!”

The Limelight Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Limelight Hotel in Aspen is a very cool place. Contemporary decor is unusual for this area, and the fourth floor rooms have a fantastic outdoor space with views of the mountains. Our outdoor space had a sofa lounge area, a high table with four bar stools, and two comfortable chaise lounge chairs. But . . . that being said . . . service was less than stellar, one of our lights in the outdoor space was burned out, and our key was constantly not working, as was the case with several other guests in our hall. For the price, it needs attention. They have a wonderful breakfast, though, that is part of the room cost. It's much more than a continental breakfast; it's a hot buffet with different choices every day. The location is fantastic; an easy walk to town. All they need is a little more attention to detail to receive a 5 star rating! I'd go back . . .

Room Tip: Ask for a fourth floor room with outdoor space. It's the quiet side of the hotel, has a good vi...

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just returned from our stay. The limelight staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The shuttle service was excellent and really made a difference in a city that discourages parking.
The breakfast was excellent. Each morning a different item was featured and there was an abundance of fresh fruit and pastries. Great location. Very large rooms. Outdoor pool a real plus. The only complaint would be that I think the rooms, although quite nice, could have had a bit more character or charm. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
TheLimelightHotel, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Mindful65,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Limelight Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Aspen and that the staff was friendly and helpful.

I do have some exciting news about our rooms! We are in the process of updating our rooms. This will start with a "mock up" room that will be completed this October and then we will complete all of the rooms in the fall of 2014. We plan on updating the carpet, paint, drapes, chairs, tables and lamps to name a few of the items.

If your travels bring you back to Aspen I am more than happy to share with the drawings that we have. I could not be more excited for what this will mean to the hotel and to our guests!

Kind regards,

Richard Stettner

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from a great trip to Aspen. My room on the 4th floor was well appointed with a comfy bed, nice chair to relax and nice views.

The pool area has both sofa style seating and pool lounge chairs, a little on the small side, but we did enjoy our late afternoon time there.

The hotel is extremely well located, and a nice benefit that they offer airport transportation, The breakfast was abundant with both hot and cold selections- some days the eggs were overcooked, other days the baked goods were a tired looking, but overall the quality of the food was fine.

My biggest gripe with this hotel, and a reason I am likely never to return, is that the breakfast area, including the buffet line was OVERRUN with dogs. I know this is a dog friendly hotel - and I think it is nice that people can bring dogs, but dogs do not belong in food service areas. There were a minimum of 4 different dogs walking through and sitting in the food service/dining areas all 4 days I was there. I finally said something to the employees working at the front desk on the 4th day and the manager told me they try to keep the dogs out of the food service area - however, he was in the dining area, as were numerous other employees, and they did nothing about the dogs which seemed to encourage more people who had dogs to also bring them to breakfast. I particularly didn't enjoy the dog owner who sat down next to me at breakfast and allowed her dog to sit with his face about 1 foot from my plate - she was on her cell phone and evidently too busy to control her dog.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear sftraveler12,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. It seems that you enjoyed your stay with the exception of pets that were in the breakfast area. While we are a pet friendly hotel we do ask that our pet owners follow our policies and one of those policies does not allow for pets in the food service areas. The staff here absolutely should have done a better job of enforcing this policy so that all of our guests could have enjoyed the breakfast without having to worry about someone's pet getting too close.

I do hope that you choose to return to Aspen and stay with us again! If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 970.925.5802 or my email address at rstettner@limelighthotel.com.

Kind regards,

Richard Stettner

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I just got back from the Limelight. We had booked three nights but rearranged our schedule to allow us to stay another one. We did not want to ever leave. The staff was fabulous, especially Pat, Nick and Elizabeth! The room was well appointed with everything that your could want or need including an umbrella. I cannot wait to return.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Limelight is wonderful. I have stayed there twice and had a great experience both times. Their location cannot be beat. The staff is always friendly, helpful, and willing to make suggestions for restaurants and activities based on your personal interests. The breakfast is absolutely amazing and is included in the room price. I am on a gluten free diet and they had several choices for me including gluten free granola and yogurt, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, fruits, and even gluten free cereal. The live music on weekends is so much fun and the lounge food is also delicious (including gluten free pizza!). We borrowed the Limelight's cruiser bikes and rode around town. Our room was lovely and roomy. The Limelight is a great value in Aspen and is one of the more laid back hotels that has great service, food, and ambience, but is not stuffy and pretentious like some other hotels in Aspen. I highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors away from the elevator. Some of the first floor rooms are right...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Colorado, and we chose Aspen as the place to spend our 22nd wedding anniversary. The Limelight Hotel had such wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor, so I decided to book our stay here. We were certainly not disappointed. From the moment that we stepped into the quaint Aspen airport, we were warmly greeted by Jeff from The Limelight. As he assisted us with our luggage, he welcomed us to Aspen and shared some of its history on our drive to the hotel. It was very obvious to us that Jeff loved living in Aspen as he was very eager to share his knowledge with us. The warmth and friendliness of The Limelight staff continued throughout the duration of our stay. Behind the front desk, Jacqueline was very helpful, and each staff member was never without a greeting and a smile as we entered and exited the hotel for the day. An extra special thank you should be extended to Pat, the Limelight's concierge. Pat made us feel as if he were our personal "Activity Director". He assisted us with plans to go horseback riding in Maroon Bells, and he left no stone unturned. A few minutes chatting with Pat made you feel as if you had known him for years. Also, my husband and I truly enjoyed chatting with Chrissy as we sat at the bar at The Limelight. She was simply delightful and, like Pat, made us feel like we were part of a larger family. Thank you....

The food at The Limelight also exceeded our expectations. The complimentary breakfast selection was perfect; the choices of hot and cold foods allowed you to "fuel up" for the day's activities. The nightly wood-fired pizzas are not to be missed. My husband and I thought, "Why bother seeking restaurants in which to dine in Aspen when excellent dishes are prepared and served right here?!" Excellent food, here, and an excellent point!

The views from our 4th floor King Terrace room provided the perfect backdrop each time we walked out onto our private balcony. As we trekked back to our rooms from a busy day exploring the many activities that Aspen provides, we knew that our balcony awaited and beckoned us to enjoy the views as we contemplated our next activity! The furniture was beautiful and allowed us to relax and take in the views of the mountains and the quaint streets below. We took advantage of the hot tub on a cool evening as well as the workout room after an evening of overindulging in food and beverage!

The Limelight is also kind to our environment, pet-friendly, and health conscious. The Limelight Hotel is, quite simply, good for the heart, mind and soul. Thank you, Limelight, for helping to make our anniversary trip extra special in every way.

1  Thank cshell25
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in July accompanied by our dog. We had a wonderful queen queen beded room overlooking a park. The staff is outstanding, the included breakfast was all that we needed, our room was always cleaned up early in the day and the location of this hotel is perfection, if you want to be in the heart of aspen. The public areas are very inviting, ESP. The pool are and the public outdoor lounge area on the 3rd and 4th floors. I highly recommend this hotel. You won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great