“Clean, Comfortable and Convenient”

The Limelight Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Clean, Comfortable and Convenient”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I like the Limelight. It is very clean, very comfortable and convenient to everything in Aspen. When you first arrive, it is unclear whether there is valet parking or where you should park the car. The options are 1.) Park on street (if you can find parking,) or 2.) Park in the garage. If you park in the garage, you must first go inside and get a transponder to open the garage door. I do wish they had valet parking or at least better directions prior to arrival.

The employees are very friendly, and the bar/restaurant, etc is very clean and they have great live music on various evenings.

The rooms are very clean and welcoming. We stayed in a regular king bed room and I found it perfectly adequate. The housekeeping was efficient and I never felt uncomfortable during this stay. Definitely check it out on your next trip to Aspen.

Room Tip: Make sure that you request a room that is NOT on the first floor by the elevator. Otherwise you are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
san francisco
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Limelight is centrally located in Aspen and is great in the summer and I assume in the winter for skiing. Customer service is first rate; rooms are large and the breakfast is nice for a hotel freeby. The pool and hot tubs are spacious. The only downside - - 1 star is that you pay a resort fee of 5% and there really is no spa or resort amenities.

There is a nice spot for the bar menu and drinks.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

1 Thank costaricagregg
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I have checked out several places to stay in Aspen over the years. Aspen is a popular destination - summer and winter - and has quite a variety of hotels and inns. Our favorite, by far, is the Limelight. It recently underwent a renovation and is even better than it was in the past. Its location in the middle of town is ideal for summer and winter activities. The staff are friendly, efficient, and show all the signs of being well managed. The rooms are comfortable and have all the amenities one would want, from hot water to comfortable beds to fast wi-fi. The food in the bar-lounge is very good. All in all, the Limelight is a very comfortable place to stay should you find yourself in Aspen. And, if you don't have plans to visit Aspen, well, reconsider your plans. There's a lot to do in and around this lovely town. It's worth the visit.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room. The neighborhood is quiet so street noise is not a problem.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This Hotel knows how to do things right. They focused on making their guests' experiences fun, easy, and reliable. The room and hotel services had everything we needed and wanted without amenities that have little value to us. We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the friendly staff, great public spaces, and the great food and entertainment. The concierge, front desk, and doormen went out of their way to help us explore and enjoy the best that Aspen has to offer. Great experience for our family of four.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to head to the high country on the spur of the moment and found ourselves pulling into Aspen without a hotel reservation at 7 pm the Thursday night prior to the start of the Aspen Food & Wine Festival! (June 13th) The usual go-to spots were charging $750-$1200 for their most basic room so I started searching available properties as we ate dinner and tried not to panic. Just our (good) luck - we got thru to the Limelight and from the first phone call thru check-in and check out the next day - we enjoyed every moment of the beautiful property, great location, attentive and helpful staff and wonderful breakfast (included in the cost of our room). The room was spacious, wonderfully crisp and clean and the windows opened to let in the great evening mountain air. AND - we got our room for $360 for the night - a more than fair rate in our opinion given the fact every other property in town had doubled and tripled (or more) its rates for the weekend. All in all - a great experience and the Limelight will be my first call any time I find myself in or around Aspen. Thank you to the wonderful staff who helped make our stay so enjoyable!

1 Thank Helen T
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were attending a family reunion in Aspen and had to book a room at the last minute. The Limelight had pretty much the only rooms in town.

This is easily one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in, and we've stayed in luxury accommodations on 4 continents. The staff was polite, welcoming, and exceedingly professional (one even remembered my name several hours later when I approached the desk).

The room had a pretty standard layout, but it was easily 50% larger than most 2-queen rooms in other hotels. The beds and pillows (even the rollaway) were top of the line, and the hotel is so well insulated from both inside and outside noise that a good night of sleep was pretty much guaranteed.

The bathroom facilities were excellent, with Euro-style separate toilet and bath, and the bath itself was deep and sizeable. The amenities throughout were first-rate. I guess you'd expect this for what they're charging, but still, it's nice to know you're getting your money's worth.

The breakfast bar was really nice, too, with better versions of the usual fare---fruits, cereals, eggs, etc. The pool facilities looked excellent, but the pools were filled with partying 20-somethings, so I can't say that this is geared for families with young children.

However, in spite of the nice parts of this hotel, there was nowhere to park. It's not that there are no parking spaces at all. It's just that their parking garage was full, and they were unwilling to give me a spot. Other reviewers have had the same experience. Why you'd build a hotel with more rooms than parking spaces is beyond me. The staff just said, "You can park anywhere in a 2-block radius, as long as the sign has an "A" in an aspen leaf". They helpfully drew me a little map and everything.

Well, when it came time to park, there were no parking spots. I circled for half an hour while my family waited up in the room. I eventually found a spot, right where they said it would be, well within the borders of the map they drew for me. The parking sign had an "A" with an aspen leaf. That spot was.....in a towaway zone. I have included my picture of the parking sign. When I returned to the desk to say that the "A" + aspen leaf combo was no guarantee of available parking, they told me I was wrong. When I showed them the picture I had snapped, they were dumbfounded. All this, at a $300+ a night hotel. Good grief.

I will say that the staff was willing to bend over backwards to get me a spot---one fellow behind the desk even offered to give me his personal parking spot. I really did appreciate their willingness to help, but none of this should have been an issue (I eventually found a place to park after more circling).

So, I suppose you can roll the dice when staying at this hotel, but be warned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank whatthepie
TheLimelightHotel, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear whatthepie (love that name by the way),
We are sorry to hear of your frustrating parking experience in Aspen. Based on your comments, it sounds like we had the only available room in town, which means it must have been an unusually busy weekend in Aspen.
As you mentioned, we do have underground parking for hotel guests, but we do not have a 1:1 ratio of rooms to spaces. We provide complimentary transportation around town as well as to/from the airport, so many of our guests choose not to drive. Guests may also purchase a street parking pass and find a spot in the residential zone. As you experienced, some spaces are tow-away zones during certain hours, while others are 24 hour spots. For future stays (should you choose to join us again – we hope you do!) the City of Aspen also maintains the Rio Grande Parking Garage, which is mere blocks away.
Thank you again for staying with us, and we wish you parking success in all your future travels. Nothing worse than spending a chunk of your vacation circling!
Best,
Richard Stettner, general manager
australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It was hard to rate this hotel? On one hand it deserves a very good rating! Excellent location to everything in Aspen, the decor is upmarket and well maintained, and the beds are very comfortable with beautiful linen. The housekeeping is excellent!

On the other hand, I found the staff fairly impersonal except for the tour arranger and a couple of the gentlemen working behind the reception desk. As a matter of fact, I did not feel comfortable or at ease in this hotel at all? I have seen the other reviews previous to mine and am perplexed that the staff went above and beyond for them, as that was not our experience at all. They were pleasant don't get me wrong, but it felt false to me? Also the lobby is very comfortable to sit in and relax, but where are you meant to eat your breakfast when the handful of tables are being used? A coffee table or your knees?

It is a beautiful looking hotel, but I guess it's just not suited for us!

1 Thank jc2626