“A slick modern hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“A slick modern hotel”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here last week and enjoyed our stay. The rooms were a bit cramped but well appointed and food I'd ordered (a garden burger) for room service was by far the best thing I've ever tasted. Only gripe being, at $350 per night in off season, I shouldn't be paying for parking! And, they charged a $25 deposit (later refunded) for borrowing an iphone charger! I'm sure this hotel aspires to be much bigger than that.

Room Tip: Request a room on second floor where you don't end up looking at back alleys and dump trucks thr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arjun34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Booked just one night as there some mixed reviews on tripadviser and thought it may be best to move to somewhere else on the 2nd day, loved the hotel, the rooms are great, the price was amazing and the staff were so friendly and helpful, stayed here the full 4 nights in Aspen and would absolutely stay there again and would look for other Kimpton hotels around the US also. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sljones5
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Just returned from a few days in Aspen. This was the first time at the Sky Hotel and would definately come back. I have stayed at several other properties in Aspen both in winter and in summer and this was definately one of the best. First off, they offered a great rate, so we had two rooms - one for the kids and one for my husband, me and the dogs. We brought our two small dogs and they were welcomed (and they loved it too!). Our room was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was a bit small unfortunatley. I forgot my curling iron and they promptly brought me one to use. There was also a long list of other things they could provide if you forgot something.

All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The complementary wine reception was nice in the evening with a good pour of wine accompanied by tasty hors d'oeuvres. The hotel offered complimentary bikes to use for the guests. It was great -- no renting from an outside place and worrying when to bring them back on time.

Again, as others mention, the location is perfect. You can walk wherever you need to go. Restaurants are convenient and so are the bike/walking paths. We also had drinks and snacks by the pool one evening and the waitress was friendly and efficient. (The pool was not too busy as it can often be.)

Room Tip: The outside rooms were more spacious with larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Fantase62
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We have stayed at the Kimpton Sky Hotel in Aspen several times within the last 2 years. We usually take our kids (ages 9 and 6) and with the heated pool and great hottub, it has been some of our best vacations. The food and beverages are amazing and are also kid friendly. There is a great park very close to the hotel that the kids entertain themselves for hours. The hotel offers transportation to and from various restaurants at night so even if there is snow or rain, we are able to navigate the town without a problem. We love the hotel. The rooms are always clean and comfy. Ross who works the front desk, luggage and transportation is a wonderful man and so helpful. Denis who runs the food and beverage area is one of the best mixologists in the nation and his variety of specialized cocktails is amazing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PharmaRep
CO
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My overall experience was good and I may consider staying here again, however I would be mindful of the purpose of my trip before booking a room.

The service was absolutely fantastic. The front desk was helpful, welcoming, and completely attentive to any questions or needs. Ex: I asked them where the ice machine was located, they said its on the 1st and 3rd floors, but they will deliver a bucket of ice to my room. It arrived less than five minutes later. I would say that is representative of the service of the hotel.

The room was average. The inside was nice and clean with kind of a retro look. (70's style furniture, not old furniture just that retro look). The room and bathroom were on the smaller side of hotel rooms, but that was no problem for me. If you were older or overweight the bathroom might be a problem though because of the small size. The bathroom was the size of my powder bath at home.. think door opens and barely misses the front of the toilet. The shower was a full size tub and the showerhead was wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better hotel shower.

My major dissapointment was the pool area. However this being a dissapointment for me might be a giant benefit for others. I wasn't aware the pool was open to the public and was essentially a party zone. The atmosphere was similar to the pools at Hard Rock in Vegas where the young people go to "see and be seen." I was told that often on the weekends in the summer they have a live DJ by the pool. I think it would have been a blast if I was single and 10 years younger! I was here for a weekend getaway with my girl not to go out clubbing by the pool. We usually were not able to find a seat by the pool and the one time we did get chairs we were told by the waitress we had to leave and couldn't sit there unless we ordered a drink or food. So much for being a hotel guest! I was looking forward to sitting in the hot tub sipping a beer but instead the pool was esentially off-limits unless I wanted to buy drinks or stand and party. I went and read my book at the base of the gondola instead of by the pool. It is frustrating as a hotel guest to get kicked out of the pool so non-guests could have my seat.

The location was fantastic. It was just a stones throw from the base of the gondola, across the street from the City Market and just a few small blocks to the ped mall with the restaurants and shops. Unsurpassed location.

One other small annoyance was that I had to pay $15 per night for parking. There is no overnight street parking so you don't have much choice, but I think hotel guests should be able to park for free. Maybe they could charge the non-guest party folk who come to pool instead of paid hotel guests.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matt_in_CO
jacko_jackson
Reviewed March 27, 2012

It's a very nice hotel but we had a very inconsistent stay.

the bad: We booked our room off lawyer's travel service for a discount, which was barely a discount as the rooms were still 400-500 a night and I think they took a bit advantage of us for using it by setting us up in an inferior room. I think this will be the case with most nice Aspen hotels though. Aspen, by the way, is amazing and you should go there. Beautiful city and you can walk or bike around easy. We didn't even use one taxi whole time we were there. Sky started off great because they picked us up in their hotel car (escalade) and set us up. Check in was quick but we immediately knew something was fishy when our room was first room on the hallway, directly connected to the service room (where the restaurant and bar stores all their food, drink, etc). There were even like 5-6 huge round tables sitting against the wall out in the open. The room was super noisy from the service people running back and forth and slamming doors, then our tv would basically not work - only 3 channels worked and they were all fuzzy. When we called the front desk to have someone come look at it, they sent someone right away who was very nice, but he informed us that the tv in our room had not been working for the last two weeks. I was surprised that someone would put us in a room where the tv doesn't work as it is a pretty nice thing to have when your trying to unwind after a long day. Really they should not be giving anyone that room until it's completely fixed or they tell someone about it. The front desk gave us the option of switching to another room the following day after 3pm when we got back from the slopes, but when I went to the front desk in the morning to confirm the plans a different lady was working there who was very rude, unreasonable and unwilling to accommodate us or even do what the previous manager had promised us. After some haggling for 5 minutes we were told we'd have our room ready by 3pm when we came back. At one point she tried to charge us an extra 30 dollars to put us into a different room which was ridiculous. A definite sour point on the experience with Sky.

the good: once we got the new room, it was very nice and quiet, tv worked, and the other manager who promised us our room originally ended up knocking off 100 dollars per night on our bill for first two nights in the crappy room. the hotel is in a great location, the bar is open late (waitress service is so so but the bartender service is great, they pour huge glasses of wine). location is great and you can walk everywhere and all the staff is very helpful on figuring out where to go or dinner reservations and such. overall this part of the stay is what we have come to expect from a kimpton stay. attentive staff, clean and updated rooms, and lot of amenities. the pool gets kind of packed around 4pm as does the bar, but they have a good hottub and good service out there. there are some free wine tastings and always diff things going on at the hotel like fashion shows or other types of parties; we didn't eat at the restaurant but the room service was quick and good. there is a grocery store across the street which I highly suggest hitting up for waters and other stuff to avoid paying arm and leg for a bottled water. the rooms are more cabin feel than an ultra modern feel that we got at other kimpton rooms but they are still nice.

overall good hotel, fairly sure wouldn't stay there again next time we visit though given proportion between price and quality and our experience with the bad room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jacko_jackson
coreyE_Aspen, General Manager at Sky Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear jacko_jackson

Thanks so much for your review of the hotel on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate your feedback and will work on the improving in the areas where you gave us feedback. I'm sorry for the inconsistency that you experienced. We are working hard to maintain all areas of the building. We recently started a light soft goods renovation in the rooms and will have a much different look in the guest rooms for the summer season.
Thanks for the positive feedback on some of the staff members during your visit. We are happy that you enjoyed the amenities that we offer and enjoyed interacting with our team.

We hope that you will rethink the option of coming back to stay with us. We would love to have you come back and stay with us again in the future. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help.

Corey Enloe
General Manager - Sky Hotel
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This hotel is amazing! We walked into the lobby and the bar, patio and Libby was packed with Apres skiers having a blast. They had a Dj, gray food, settings and you can ski right in from the slopes of Apex. It was literally like a movie scene and so much fun. A wide range of people, not kids, 30's, 40's.
We meet lots of fun friendly people. It's a fun boutique type hotel, so lots of style. Our room is good sized, hip, clean and cozy. Great food at 39. They partner with a spa and take you there for all the treatments you want. They have a car to take you anywhere in town you want add well and bring you back so no worries about drinking and driving.
It is "The" spot in Aspen. It's a must go and we will be back next year!

Room Tip: Get a room with two beds if you want a larger room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AdventureTravelerEM
Dear Elizabeth M.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback on your last review of the Sky Hotel on TripAdvisor. We look forward to having you return to stay with us in the future. Let me know if I can help with anything in the future.

Corey Enloe