“Poor choice”

Hotel Aspen
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
“Poor choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We planned a two-day stay and made reservations in advance. Upon entering our room we noticed it smelled musty and stale. The bathroom was so small, even the light switch was outside the room! The bathroom floor was dirty. We chalked it up as a poor choice and went out to enjoy the rest of the day in town. While out we received a call from home that my aging father had taken ill and was in the hospital. I went to the hotel owner and kindly asked to be refunded for the following day as I needed to go home. I was told I had been charged for two days and no refund could be given, only a credit. I think this is lousy customer service. Sometimes "life" happens and things don't go as planned. Why would I ever want to come back to a place where I am treated that way? Now I have to choose between being with my father and losing the money or staying when I am needed at home. How insensitive of the hotel owner to be so inconsiderate. This hotel is not a special place , more of a dump. I may have recommended it as a cheap stay, but after being treated this way, forget it. What goes around comes around, hotel aspen. Keep treating people crappy and you will soon find yourself without customers.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Roughton
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Roughton,

First of all please accept my wishes for a speedy recovery for your father. I apologize if you felt that we were not sympathetic to your circumstances, quite the contrary, we only offer future stay credits for extenuating circumstances, and we certainly felt that your situation warranted understanding. Our cancellation policies are clearly stated in advance so that there is no misunderstanding, but we made an exception for you in the hopes that you might be able to use your credit for a future stay with us, anytime in the next year. I'm sorry if you felt that this was insensitive.

While I hope that your situation did not somehow overshadow your opinion of our hotel, I certainly respect your feelings and would enjoy an opportunity to discuss your situation with you personally. I'm not sure who you spoke to at the property but the owner does not take part in day-to-day operations, and I assure you that I would have made every effort to take your needs and concerns into account had I had an opportunity to do so. As you can see from the multitude of positive reviews we receive and my response to every single one of them that I take customer satisfaction seriously.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 970-925-3441 or jeff@hotelaspen.com at your convenience.

Respectfully,

Jeff Bay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I have never been to Aspen, so booking at a hotel that you know nothing about is very concerning. We got to the hotel early and our room was ready. Being new to the area and not knowing our way around the employees were more then happy to tell us where to go and what to see.

My wife and I are very happy with the hotel, the room was great. We will be returning in Nov. 2012. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Robert P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review, we are so glad you had a great time. I'll pass your compliments on to the staff and we hope you will consider us again when your travels bring you back to Aspen in November!

Cheers,

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This place was reasonably priced (for aspen) and provided just enough to be an acceptable acoomodation for the price. I think this place would be spot-on if you have a dog with you (dog friendly). I didn't realize it was pet friendly before booking, which worried me after I learned of that, but it was clean and there weren't any signs of pet hairs anywhere. My wife is mildly allergic, and she didn't have any issues either.

The rooms had been updated at some point and were pretty nice overall. The hallways were very dark, to the point I was having trouble finding the key-card slot the first couple times.

Free parking, free hot breakfast (nothing fancy, but acceptable), a short walk to the pedestrian mall, great restaurants close by, and they gave us a free park pass for maroon bell that lasted through our stay.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and is a fine option for those of us who don't demand the swankiest, and prefer to keep on budget.

Room Tip: Outside rooms are best. We were facing inside, so could only see the room and stairway. The ground...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 5280toZero,

Thank you for your kind comments. We too feel strongly that Hotel Aspen provides a great value with a complimentary hot breakfast, free parking, free wifi, free airport transportation, free local and LD calls, pet friendly and a price that is usually much less than any other hotel is Aspen. I'm pleased you found us to be "just enough", but we feel we provide "a lot more" than any other hotel in Aspen for the price.

Thanks again and please return soon!

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

It was lovely.... except....... we didn't like the dark hallways .....yes we know your trying to be green and save engery but this was so over the top !!! It was very erie ....we didn't feel comfortable going to our room or getting ice from the ice machine, the only other thing was the swing over lock was missing , u know the one you can swing over after your in your room so housekeeping or anyone else can't open the door, we put a bar stool in front of the door so we would hear if someone did open our door while we were sleeping,oh and btw. housekeeping came knocking on the door before checkout and we didn't appreciate that as one of us was in the shower and the other getting dressed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jeanie T,

I appreciate you taking the time to write us regarding your recent stay, I'm glad you had a great time and we look forward to having you back in the future. I do take your feedback seriously and we are looking into improved lighting options for these corridors. I' not clear about what happend with our housekeeping department but I can assure you that we will never enter a room that has a "do not disturb" sign present, I'm sure they were just making their morning rounds. Eitherway, we'll get the latch looked at and as long as the deadbolt is used there is no way for anyone, even with a key, can enter the room. I assure you all of our rooms are very safe and secure,

Best regards,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Awesome little property close to the heart of Aspen. Spent 1 night in a junior suite which was adjacent to the pool/hot tub. Very comfortable. Great that they offered a Colorado resident discount. Very pleasant and relaxing evening overall. Would definitely go back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear john P,

Thank you so much for the nice review and compliments, we are so pleased you had a great stay with us! Please come back and visit again soon.

Take care,

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

A sothers state bathroom is tight but is fully redone like rest of room. Location is very good 5 minutes from town center and staff were friendly. Pool looked great and breakfast was very good for the money. Overall we'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Rover 5530,

Thank you so much for the great review, we try to provide a great value in a convenient location, and we hope you consider us again if your travels bring you back to Aspen.

Take care,

Montrose, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Aspen on a Sat. night in prime Fall color viewing time. Since many properties required a 2 night stay I booked with Hotel Aspen. It was pricey, so I had good expectations. It basically is an old ski lodge updated. The room itself was nice with 2 queens and a pullout sofe seating area behind a wierd glass divider. The worst was the bathroom...basically a closet with a shower , toilet and sink. You couldn't shut the bathroom door if you were sitting on the toilet. The room sleeps 6 but would resemble a frat house with such a tiny closet and bathroom. There only were plastic glasses and small white towels,like a chain hotel.The hairdrier kept shutting off taking forever to dry my hair. After breakfast which was ok but not special, I returned to my room to find that my key card had been cancelled. I had to make two trips down to the office to get back into my room. For the big $$$ price they charge, it was not worth it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Christi M
Dear Christi M,

i appreciate the time you took to give us your honest feedback. I am so sorry that you felt we did not provide the ambiance or value that the vast majority of our other guests and TripAdvisor reviews reflect. Aspen in general is a higher priced location, and we are generally 25% to 50% lower in price than almost any other hotel in town.. We offer a lot of added exras like a free hot breakfast, free parking, free wi-fi, free LD calls and much more. We use 300 thread count sheets, down comforters and Egyptian cotton towels, along with individually wrapped glasses to ensure sanitary conditions for all of our guests. I am confident that a better price for a comparable hotel could have been found.

I would enjoy speaking to you about your stay and making sure we follow up with any concerns you might have had. Please feel free to contact me personally at any time.

Regards,