All reviewsfull kitchengrocery storegreat locationcity marketstudio roomoff seasonnice balconywood burning fireplacemiddle of townbit datedgreat kitchenking bedwell equipped kitchenparking garagethe silver queen gondolalittle nellshops and restaurants
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We just returned from a four-night stay at Aspen Square. I have to say we were extremely disappointed on this visit, which was our third time staying there. We were given a two bdrm/two bath unit that is VERY dated and worn out. It looks like it was last decorated in the 70s, and its condition is ratty.

We often attend a medical conference in Aspen in June, and the other two times we stayed at Aspen Square over the past eight or so years, we had a two bdrm/two bath unit that was spectacular-- marble bathrooms, granite kitchen, new maple cabinets, new furniture, appliances and fixtures, etc.

When we decided to return to Aspen this June, we expected all Aspen Square units to be that nice. We didn't shop around; we simply booked directly with Aspen Square.

When we arrived, we were given our choice between two equally unappealing units. We were surprised by the significantly lower quality than we'd experienced on our earlier stays at Aspen Square. One unit was on the first floor with the street right outside the patio door, which was unpleasantly loud with street traffic. Its fringed furnishings were 'bordello' style, with a deep purple and green color scheme (104 or 106?).

The unit we chose was 135-- the lesser of two evils in our minds, because at least it is above the street. But it is very tacky, as we discovered each day of our four-night stay:
• the hallway coat closet has a bad smell
• the oven thermostat doesn't work-- cookies burnt and were ruined within 5 minutes, set at 350 degrees
• cabinet doors and drawers are ill-fitting and sprung
• dining and end tables are old, faded, and stained
• faucets drip in the kitchen and hall baths
• wood paneling has white caulking showing through in several places
• all the furniture is old and worn (not to mention the artwork is terribly dated and funky)
• the 'master' bedroom has a miniscule TV
• the front room TV is perched on an old dresser, with the DVD player balanced on top of that
• floor tile and shower tile in the 'master bath' don't even match
• end table lamp is broken in 'master' bedroom

Unit 136 next door is being gutted, and they would start working some mornings as early as 7:00, which created loud banging noises heard clearly in our unit that early in the morning. Also, street noise was very loud in our corner unit, with buses going by and construction down there, too. So we had to keep all windows and doors closed in order to get some sleep.

The unit next door, 134, is a very nice marble and granite two bedroom/two bath where we must have stayed in previous years. Its occupants moved out Saturday morning and it was being cleaned, so we peeked in. When I asked management if we could move into it for our last night, I was told it was absolutely impossible to move us, because Aspen Square was booked solid, and they had some 'very special' people coming in (which implied she didn't think we rated the better room).

I spoke twice with front desk personnel, who were not helpful at all when I asked what could Aspen Square do to make us feel less 'ripped off'. They had nothing to offer, except a lecture about how rental properties are run by Aspen Square. One manager said they absolutely cannot tell their condominium owners when to redecorate. I know that's not true, because we owned a rental condo for many years in Winter Park, and our management company would insist owners upgrade their unit every few years, or they would simply drop the unit from their program. That's what Aspen Square needs to do with the two units we saw, for sure.

I felt management could have come up with a fruit basket, a bottle of wine, or tickets to a concert: something-- anything-- so we wouldn't feel so unhappy with Aspen Square and so grossly overcharged.

I asked to speak to the manager and was put on hold. Then the first person came back on the line to say the manager had left, that she wasn't really scheduled to work that day and couldn't take the call. I felt the manager could have come to the phone, since I'd been put on hold for her in the first place.

The front desk was not very helpful or friendly when I expressed my dismay about paying as much as the deluxe unit. She bluntly told me I should have asked for a recently renovated unit-- as though I was supposed to know that particular trick.

It makes us very unhappy that our ratty unit cost as much as the super deluxe unit next door. We definitely feel Aspen Square has unfair pricing policies. They should use a quality scale -- standard, deluxe and superior, depending on furnishings and view. That would be much more appropriate, and in the spirit of fair trade and full disclosure.

We tried not to dwell on this situation or let it ruin our vacation time in Aspen. But each time we'd return to our rundown unit, next door to the fabulous one, it certainly reminded us of the unpleasant situation.

Unit 135 bears no resemblance to the ones pictured in the Aspen Square brochure. We feel like we were duped by a 'bait and switch' tactic. Unit 135 is nowhere near the quality promised in the brochure, or what we had experienced in years past.

We will not return to Aspen Square or recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Mebrothers
Management response:Responded July 6, 2006

We are very disappointed and surprised with this guest's reaction to our condominium hotel. Our guests normally have very positive experiences with us, and we have many, many return guests. It is true that because our condominiums are individually owned, they are all a bit different in style and decor. It is true that some are more rustic while others are very contemporary. Because these guests had been with us before in more contemporary condominiums, and they were pleased, clearly they were not happy with a more traditional or more rustic accommodation. Because we were totally booked, we had no options for them. We always work very hard to accommodate every guest's requests or concerns and I am sorry we were unable to do so in this case. Aspen Square is a wonderful, first-quality small condominium hotel and guests return to our property year after year. We will certainly do our best to address the concerns of these unhappy people. We want them to return!

Warren Klug
Aspen Square Condominium Hotel

Reviewed July 1, 2006

We travel a lot and my wife stayed with our daughters (in a not so nice, not yet renovated one bedroom) but in June we stayed a week (I wished that we moved in!) in a lovely unit with a great mountain view.

The concierge and desk staff were helpful without being obsequious; the fitness area small but adequate; free coffee to start the day and a great location.

We were over the pool and rarely had noise (only once at night) the fixtures worked well and the place was clean, well maintained and special.

Stayed: June 2006