“loved the Aspen Square !”

Aspen Square Condominium Hotel
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed March 8, 2008

we were very pleased with our stay at the Aspen Square....the location , right in the center of Aspen is perfect ....can't wait to go back ! the staff is very friendly, and always ready to help with any of your needs... many of the units have been renovated, so you might want to ask for a unit that has been remodeled....
if you are planning on skiing at Snow Mass,wich is the best area for families and beginner to intermediate skiers....and will be renting equipment, I would recommend you rent your equipment at Snow Mass rather than in Aspen .... you can also store your skiis etc at the mountain , which is easier than lugging them to and from Aspen ....also, don't miss the spa at the St Regis hotel ! there is nothing like a massage to ease those aches and pains after a day of skiing .....
one of our favorite experiences was a trek on snowshoes to the Pine Creek Cookhouse ... Aspen Square can arrange for transportation to the ski area .... once you arrive at the restaurant ( by either cross country skiing, snow shoeing or horse drawn sleigh) you will enjoy a unique gourmet meal..... this is an experience not to be missed !!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank gailshapiro

Reviewed January 15, 2008

For starters, the location of this hotel is excellent. As mentioned in other reviews, you can pretty much walk to anything you need (restaurants, nightlife, grocery store, ski area or shuttle buses for the other ski areas like Buttermilk, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands). Additionally, the place has underground parking if you have a car which is a plus (some condo-type rentals have outdoor parking only). The parking lot is tight so be careful in the SUV’s but nice to have for sure. The heated pool and hot tubs are also really nice. The pool in winter will be almost too cold for swimming (for some of us anyway) but fun for jumping in between the hot tub and pool. That’s not a hotel issue, they heat the pool and cover it, however, when it’s really cold outside, you can only get the pool so-warm. The hot-tubs on the other hand were nicely hot and great after a day on the slopes.

There is a difference in rooms. I realize the hotel states that most are remodeled and that may be true but I think it comes to personal taste then of what you find to your liking as far as décor. Owners all have their own tastes and budgets so it may or may not go with what you like. We stayed in what is called a “Premium One-Bedroom”. In reality it had previously been two studios that had been combined to a one-bedroom and it was absolutely fabulous! The owners did an outstanding job of decorating it; it had two full baths, fireplace in living and master bedroom, lovely furnishings, well-equipped kitchen, view of the mountain to die-for and plenty of room for a family of 4 to spread out. We actually moved from our first one-bedroom to this one and granted it was more money, but worth it! It was considerably better than our first option so try and find out as much about the room as you can before you commit so you are happy with what you get. We were much happier once we moved rooms. Previously, I had stayed in a studio at this same location and again, the specific room made the difference. Mine was much better than friends due to the upgraded décor and we were paying the same price in that instance.

The service at the hotel was excellent. Everyone we encountered was courteous, helpful, professional and prompt. We made some extra requests of housekeeping…..no problem. We moved rooms (when we upgraded)….no problem (they moved all our stuff for us while we were out skiing that day). We asked them to take the cover off the hot tub when we got back from skiing….done immediately, etc.

Of course Aspen is expensive, food is more, gas is more, etc so keep that in mind when planning a vacation there if budget is of concern but on the other hand, it’s some of the best skiing in the world and the global nature of it (we met people from all over the world) makes it more of an adventure.

One final note, flights into and out of Aspen are often canceled due to weather so plan accordingly. There are several flights per day but I always recommend planning to depart plenty ahead of time that you actually need to be back just in case you encounter delays and cancellations.

Enjoy your time in Aspen, I know we did!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank flygalaz
Reviewed December 19, 2007

We have stayed at Aspen Square many times and have enjoyed it immensely. The recent reviews on TripAdvisor cover the issues well and I will not repeat their excellent reporting. Some advice for persons staying here:

Aspen is very dry and the low humidity (under 10%) can be miserable. As soon as you get in your room, look for a humidifier in the closet. The "high" setting is loud but effective; you can use that when you are out of the room. "Low" is quiet enough that you can sleep at night. Also look for a large cooking pot in a kitchen cabinet. Fill it with hot water and put it on the stove (all the stoves are electric). A setting between 'low' and 'med' works well to evaporate the water and boost the humidity. Then inspect the metal flue damper inside the fireplace (where the top of the fireplace joins the chimney - a flashlight would be helpful). If this is open you will lose much humidity, as through an open window. If the damper doesn’t seal completely, a few empty plastic bags stuffed into the opening will block air from flowing out. Finally, take a look at the bottom edge of the room door. If there is a large air space between the door and the saddle, use a towel to block the air from flowing into the unit. Follow all these tips and you will sleep comfortably without dry itchy nasal passages!

Adjusting to the altitude can be difficult. It can cause insomnia. Alcohol can aggravate this, and some people find that ingesting no alcohol for their first 2 or 3 days in Aspen is helpful.

Aspen Square has installed wireless in all rooms. It works well and is very fast. If you don't bring your own computer, there are two you can use in the lobby.

City Market is a good supermarket right across Spring St. You can get items not found in the room: ground coffee (room supply is 1st night only) and any kitchen utensils you might need. Dishes and basic utensils are provided. City Market also sells hot roasted chickens, very convenient for the evening you arrive if you'd rather stay in the room and settle in, than go out to a restaurant.

My understanding is that management is pushing all owners to renovate their rooms. If you are given an unsatisfactory old-fashioned room, mention the specific room number on TripAdvisor. The pressure of publicity is the best way to solve this problem. If enough people complain about a particular room, management will have to remove it from the rental roll.

There are players in the room for DVDs and CDs. Also, there is a washer and dryer on every floor, so bring all the dirty laundry you wish!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DancerGuy
WarrenKlug, General Manager at Aspen Square Condominium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2008

We appreciate this guest's comments, and we are glad they enjoyed staying with us at Aspen Square. We are a condominium property with hotel-style services, just across the street from the Aspen Mountain Gondola.

Apparently this guest had problems with the dry air in Aspen, a common comment from visitors to the Colorado mountains. Because of the dryness, we provide a humidifier in every room, and we urge people to use them. I would say that the measures suggested by this guest seem a bit extreme, and in the case of plastic bags in the fireplace it may cause a danger. His other comments such as no alcohol for the first couple of days is appropriate.

Nearly all of our condominiums have been fully renovated in recent years, and our properties look great. Because these are individual condominiums, all have different decor. We work with our guests to make certain that they are happy with their accommodations, be it more contemporary or more traditional or more rustic. People like staying here! Thanks.....

Reviewed October 11, 2007

2nd time at Aspen Square, same great results. My colleagues and I had a 3 day conference in Aspen, and I booked everyone at the Aspen Square because of the great experience I had the last time I was there for my Anniversary.

The Aspen Square did not disappoint! The room I stayed in was once again clean and comfy. It had a beautiful view of downtown from the Balcony. The staff once again was a delight and always there to help withy any directions or concerns. Did I mention there is Daily Maid Service and no additional charge for it.

The Aspen Square just renovated the pool and jacuzzi area. It is beautiful. This is just the icing of the cake to an already great place to stay.

If you want somewhere that will take care of you and your family for business or pleasure, I truly recommend the Aspen Square.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank cnuhng
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I'm always apprehensive going to a new city and wondering if my lodging choice will be close to local attractions.

I had an AMAZING STAY at the Aspen Square, I had a studio with a full kitchen that was larger than some NYC apartments I've lived in. There was even a supermarket across the street for supplies.

The view from my balcony was the mountain gondola and the Aspens changing colors. I don't know what was closer, the ski lifts or all the restaurants downtown. Everything was in easy walking distance.

I will definitely stay at the Aspen Square on my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2007

This hotel condominium is in a FANTASTIC location, just accross from the gondola for Ajax/Aspen Mountain, but you can pay the price for this with the noise from the streets. I couldn't sleep at all for the noise for the first couple of nights due to hoards of people walking past and the snow clearers revving their engines all night...but I am a light sleeper.

The condos vary dramatically in decor as they are all individually owned. There are some beautiful condos, but the last one I had was very tired and had no drawers, hooks or hanging space! So we had all of our ski gear strewn over the sofa and had to live out of our suitcases. However, all of the condos have to be rennovated in the immediate future, so I guess this will only get better.

I would reccommend asking for a condo on a higher floor - and a newer one if possible.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keen_Bean_Traveller
Reviewed March 20, 2007

We spent a week at Aspen Square during peak ski season and had a fantastic time. Our fireplace studio was perfect - great size for a couple and nicely furnished. Also could not fault the housekeeping who coped well with our masses of ski gear piled everywhere!

Aspen Square is very well located within walking distance of the Aspen Mountain gondola and buses to other resorts. We had no problems with noise (maybe because we were so tired). Staff were good, with the Concierge being particularly excellent and providing good restaurant recommendations.

We would definitely recommend and it would probably be my first choice if I return. We also had superb post-stay service as some gear was left behind - it was posted back straight away and arrived in the UK within a couple of days.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple