“as beautiful as you picture it”
Review of Independence Pass

Independence Pass
Boynton Beach, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“as beautiful as you picture it”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We have driven Independence Pass a number of times. Like many Rocky Mountain passes, it is a little scary, especially if you are not used to such driving. But it ranks among the more lovely such passes you will encounter during any Rocky Mountain adventure. If you close your eyes and imagine what a mountain pass looks like, that is Independence Pass. Drive it only in the summertime, of course.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ellyjellybelly

• Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“scary beautiful”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

absolutely picturesque. i started at the base of the pass with a very light dust of snow, crossed the pass into aspen - I would never suggest it in the snow, but so glad i did. i think they closed the pass for the season behind me. 20 miles, one hour, a blinding snowstorm and some once-in-a-lifetime, phenomenal mountaintop photos later.....an experience of a lifetime!

Visited October 2013
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Heart attack, but worth it!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have to say, this pass caused my heart to race more than once, but the experience and views were worth it! Thank goodness my husband drove, otherwise we never would have made it to the top. I was shaking just being the passenger! I did manage to take some amazing photos! The roads are narrow, especially starting out from Aspen area, so be sure to have an experienced driver and follow the speed suggestions. We were headed towards Twin Lakes. The drive actually took longer than I expected, but I was grateful for that. Do not take this pass if you have somewhere to be quickly. Stop at the top to enjoy the views. We arrived shortly before two cyclists arrived...some people are truly inspiring! I wouldn't recommend taking this route in the dark or during inclement weather...the stress isn't worth it. Definitely a must-do if you're in the area and can stomach it!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Outdoorslover30
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great scenic drive”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

A great scenic drive. We went in the early fall and the colors were gorgeous. I have been on scenic drives from New York to Montana and this one rivals them all. You well need to set some time aside as it is not a short trip.

Visited August 2013
Barre, Vermont
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Bucket list”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This is one of those "must do" items. Scary for chickens like me...but stunning. Be prepared for hairpin curves and tight quarters when meeting vehicles. Be sure to stop at the top and take the short walk to see the incredible views.

Visited September 2013