“Top of the World”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Top of the World”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Independence is the highest paved pass in the country (over 12 thousand feet) with a dozen and a half 'fourteeners' (peaks over 14 thousand feet) visible from the summit. Having done a close fly-by of Everest in the Himalayas last year, and Loveland and Boreas Passes on this trip, I still felt more at the 'top of the world' here. We drove up from Aspen on a clear day after an early October snow storm, so that the transitions between yellow aspens glistening in the sun, green pines in steep valleys thinning out near the tree line, and then the pure white peaks poking the thin blue sky were stunning. The road is paved all the way to the summit but has one lane sections, icy patches where the sun doesn't reach, and no guard rails for most of the drive. But, then, you would not want to be in a hurry among such splendor!

• Korean first
Austin, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Beautiful colors, snowcapped peaks”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We drove this about 10am 9/29/2013 after the sun had been out several hours. It had snowed several inches in Snowmass Village on 9/26/13, so we were concerned about the road. You have to drive slowly getting out of Aspen because of the speed limits. I was glad I never met a big vehicle on the curves or narrow places, but for me it was NOT a scary ride. There was snow on the shoulders, but the road was entirely clear of snow and ice. FABULOUS VIEWS, the aspens were golden yellow. There were numerous places where I downshifted to save the car brakes. There were outhouse restrooms that were clean at the peak of Independence Pass, which were a happy sight after a large coffee. The road unually opens about mid June, and usually closes about first of November, but first check with CO DOT, The drive to Walsenburg was beautiful, and we saw huge herds of buffalo on a ranch.

Visited September 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Breath Taking Views”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

As I was on the Independence Pass and looking at the snow capped mountains, it just made me think how beautiful the state of Colorado. I loved it and can't wait to go back.

Littleton
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Freezing, but worth it!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The drive is beautiful and the short little hike I could handle out in the blowing wind and snow was stunning. I felt like I was at the north pole. I think this stop was the highlight for my husband.

Park City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“full on winter!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

An incredible place to take in the mountains of CO! It was full on winter- perfect place to experience winds, snow, and mountains!