“Worth a trip...”

Bangkok Happy Bowl Thai Bistro and Bar - Aspen, CO
Ranked #86 of 165 Restaurants in Aspen
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Description: Located next to Clark's Market in Aspen, Bangkok Happy Bowl has quickly become a favorite for locals and visitors alike. The authentic thai bistro offers several original and award winning signature recipes by Chef Paula Rungsawang Coult. For the past two decades, Paula has earned international acclaim for her Thai recipes in Australia, and came to the U.S. in the early 2000's with partner Kirk Coult. The couple has opened several successful restaurants in California and Colorado, including the Wild Bangkok Bar, which won the Top of the Town award in 2012 for best Thai restaurant in Denver. Kirk and Paula have been regular visitors to the Aspen community for years and saw a need for an unassuming, come-as-you-are, Thai bistro that could offer a quaint setting for dine in and convenient access for take-out service. Their challenge was finding the ideal location. However, as soon as they heard about the space next to Clark's, Bangkok Happy Bowl found its home. The menu at Bangkok Happy Bowl changes seasonally, with winter dishes like Pumpkin Curry and Lamb, or the more classic fare of Pad Thai with your choice of beef, chicken, shrimp or tofu is also available. Each of Paula's recipes offers you a choice of mild, spicy or the traditional Thai way (what Paula fondly calls Paula hot). Bangkok Happy Bowl offers a full bar, dine-in, take-out and delivery in the Aspen core and Snowmass village for larger orders. Parking is free.
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We started with the veggie egg roll and it was worth the wait. Fresh and crispy and only $3.95 for an order of two. I got the tofu pad Thai bowl lunch special ($8.95) and my husband ordered a veggie pad Thai bowl. Mine was tasty but maybe a little too much sauce. (I read that in another review and should have asked for less sauce.) My husband agreed as his had a little too much sauce also. Overall I think it is a good value for Aspen and I will return with a few edits on my ordering.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I agree with other reviewers that the food is good and the value for Aspen is also pretty good. Our server was friendly and moved fast, but was overwhelmed with so many customers that everybody was kept waiting quite a long time for their food. Some of the lower points about this restaurant include: rest rooms are downstairs quite a distance from the restaurant; the rest room key I was given did not work well at all; wine at $6/glass tasted like the cheapest type they possibly could find; sticky rice was overcooked, dry and hard. I think that with better management and supervision this restaurant could be a real winner.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Deciding to branch out, we had lunch today here. near the music tent-easy stroll. handy to the USPS. we started with wonton soup which was as good as we have had. chicken satay pot stickers were tender, great peanut sauce, we also shared a traditional pad thai with tofu. great sauce-maybe more sauce than needed, but tasty. definitely will return. better than other Asian luncheon place we have patronized for years.
good choice. busy at lunch time, but that seems typical for a popular place for locals. sit outside away from the bar music racket--enjoy the wonderful local flowers.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Reading these other reviews makes me think that they ate another place than we did!
Service was friendly and efficient, the beer was wonderfully cold and the food was excellent. Four of us agreed that it was a place to return. In fact, my Thai lady friend and I ate there last year, and had the same experience; that's why we came back this year. I will say that both times we ate here, we ate outside in the summer; it may be a tighter and less comfortable feel in the winter as the inside is a bit small. But, they do deliver, I think! Anyway, try the curries, the larb, pad thai, the papaya salad and the tod tofu.. All very good!
PS It's away from the bustle of downtown Aspen, near the post office. A big plus for us.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended to me by a local. Had a fabulous meal of soup and Thai beer. Staff were friendly and attentiveZ nice relaxed venue, I will be back during this stat