“lovely ambiance, but poorly executed food and very rude management” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pine Creek Cookhouse

Pine Creek Cookhouse
Ranked #21 of 161 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
A TripAdvisor Member
“lovely ambiance, but poorly executed food and very rude management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2006

We had originally booked for lunch, but they had to cancel our res due to a plumbing problem so we rescheduled for dinner (they offered us 10% discount for our trouble). When we got there to ski to dinner, they had screwed up our res and showed that we'd be taking the sleigh instead of skiing. No big deal, we skied anyway.

Once we got there, we were thrilled with the beautiful room and nice atmosphere. From there, unfortunately, it all went down hill. When we ordered only one glass of wine each instead of an expensive bottle, the wine steward said "you're kidding?" and rolled his eyes at us. Very insulting and belittling.

The appetizer portions were skimpy and the flavors only mediocre. To be fair, the salads were prettty good. My buffalo prime rib entree was inedible, so tough I couldn't even cut a piece to taste it. The waiter was great and brought me the veal chop instead, which was better even if not spectacular.

The real slide into disaster began with dessert. My "Irish Whiskey Cake" was in fact carrot cake that tasted like it came straight from a Sara Lee box. My sister's brownie sundae with roasted banana ice cream and caramel sauce was a stale, dessicated brownie with plain vanilla ice cream and what seemed like Hershey's syrup on top (no caramel whatsoever). When we questioned the waiter, the manager came over and condescendingly told me that it was "not carrot cake because there's Irish Whiskey in there" (it was orange, full of carrots/raisins, and tasted like garden-variety carrot cake without a hint of whiskey... apparently I'm an idiot to be confused, even though there was no mention of carrots in the menu description whatsoever). Regarding the brownie screw-up, instead of bringing a new dessert prepared correctly he brought a side dish of banana ice cream, practically threw it at us, and then actually argued with us that we were "wrong" and that "the caramel sauce is under there somewhere" (there was NONE). Oh my.

When the $200 bill came the manager made a big deal about the 10% discount as if it were a huge concession on their part, and he actually told us we were "lucky they didn't charge us for the sleigh ride we didn't take" even though the mistake in the reservation was theirs and not ours.

Every restaurant has food mishaps, although at this price point I wouldn't expect so many. The real turn-off was the rude and condescending attitude (from the manager of all people). If it's worth it to you to pay $100+ a person simply for the experience of skiing/sleighing to dinner, go to the Pine Creek Cookhouse. If what you're after is truly exquisite food and courteous service, go somewhere else in town (like Montagna at The Little Nell).

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Brooklyn, New York
“Shockingly bad meal and service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2005

I took my girlfriend to this restaurant this past Friday evening and it was one of the worst dining experiences I've ever had, by far the worst in Aspen. The service was slow and two of our courses were served cold. The food was terrible, apparently the chef had a heavy salt hand that night because that was all you could taste in the appetizers and entrees. Most shocking was the price for such a poor experience. For the $280 they charged for that dinner (no wine) I could have had 2 far superior dinners in town. I would not recommend this place to anybody, unless I really did not like them! Avoid it all costs.

5 Thank Brian G
A TripAdvisor Member
“More fun then i've had eating in a long time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2005

Pine creek cookhouse is not some much of an eating place as it is an expirence that 1 part of just happens to be eating. And great eating that is too. I was staying in aspen with close freinds and family members, and the hotel recomneded this establisment of dining to us. My family has a wide range of sking expirences from haveing none at all, to being expert downhillers but not cross country skiers, to haveing down 2 week cross country trails, but the staff asured us we could do it. In a scenic little old mining town (desserted) we checked in, got our cross country ski gear, and began the journey. Everyone did alright the stunning trail lead us across, up, and down hills, that viewd that most amazing vistas in the enitre world. It was hard work, a good work out, but it was very do-able and and very fun. Oh finnaly we ventured to the olden creekhouse overlooking the moutins. I am very happy we didn't come for dinner becuse we coulnd't of seen the view. Inside the food was amazing. Multi meat stew contained amazing game. The bread was freshly baked, with great butter. Some wild salmon caght from a nearbye river was some of the greatest salmon i have ever sampled. A great fresh muffin with blueberrys was devine. I tired some quail, and a sallad witch were both unbelivble. To finnish it down were wonderfull freshly baked brownie dessserts, and a delecable fruit pie. Everything was fresh, and delisious. I then procedeed to ski down to the place. This was mind rushing, cross country skis are desinged to slide, so you move so fast down hill. I did what i did in 35 minutes or so, in 5 mintues downhill. Overall pine creek cookhouse is one of the two best resturants in apsen, the other beings nobus place in aspen witch is his best non new york location much better then las vgas. It is fun, purely great true country food, and a great setting. Pure wild west aspen.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member