“Serious Attitude Problem”
Review of Kenichi

Kenichi
Reserve with OpenTable
Kenichi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 161 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hunter Street
Transit: Most local hotels and lodges offer transportation to and from Kenichi.
Description: Kenichi serves contemporary Asian cuisine and world-class sushi in a vibrant atmosphere. In 1991, Bil Rieger and Kenichi Kanada founded Kenichi Aspen, which has since become renowned for its outstanding food and hip scene. With an exceptional reputation established, Kenichi expanded to other prominent markets including Austin, Dallas and Kona. Kenichi is built on a foundation of excellence in food& service.
Rockwood, Ontario
“Serious Attitude Problem”
Reviewed October 5, 2005

On September 29/05, while staying at Little Nell, we called Kenichi in the early afternoon to make a dinner reservation for 5:30, which was the opening hour listed for Kenichi in local ads and confirmed by the concierge. We got a recording of a male voice advising to leave a message for reservations, or else call back after 3:30 when a live person would answer. We left a reservation for 5:30.
When we showed up at 5:30 it was to find the tables set, yet chairs still being moved around, staff - including kitchen staff - lounging around the main dining room and bar space, and a woman standing beside the hostess podium - in loud and animated conversation on the phone. She saw us standing there, waiting. She continued her conversation. Obviously a personal conversation. We waited some more.
When she hung up, it was to merely glare at us expectantly - clearly annoyed.
I explained we had left a message for a 5:30 reservation...only to have her cut me short by stating "No, you didn't, our message says we open at six".
I tried to clarify that the message we got said nothing about 6, only to leave a reservation...
Again she cut me off, now clearly confrontational, by saying "I put the message on myself, last week, after we changed the off-season opening to six".
Rather than argue with her and tolerate more hositility, I said "Thanks anyway", and we turned to leave.
The woman shouted after us to "Come back at six". Glancing across the faces of the lounging employees, the range of expression ran from indifference, to resignation to evident embarrassment. One shook his head as we passed. My wife said, quietly, to him, "We won't be back". To which he said "I don't blame you".
If this woman owns this restaurant, she should remove herself from any contact with customers. If she doesn't own the restaurant, she should be fired.
Unless you want to risk being used and abused, I would strongly suggest staying away from this establishment.

5 Thank LHill