“YUM-a-licious”
Review of Matsuhisa-Aspen

Matsuhisa-Aspen
Reserve with OpenTable
Matsuhisa-Aspen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 160 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Monarch
Transit: Roaring Fork Transit Authority (RFTA) has stops on either side of our location; at Paepke Park (Main St and Aspen St) as well as Galena (Main St and Galena). It is a one block walk to Matsuhisa Aspen (Main and Monarch).
Description: Matsuhisa Aspen is nestled beneath a quaint victorian house in the mountain town of Aspen Colorado and features the cuisine of world renowned chef Nobu Matsuhisa. Japanese-inspired seafood and sushi, as well as an ultra-hip scene and lively bar crowd can best describe Matsuhisa Aspen. We are a continuation of Matsuhisa L.A., Nobu New York, Nobu London and may more locations around the world.
Santa Fe
“YUM-a-licious”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great birthday meal at Matsuhisa in Aspen! Favorite dish was dessert: A mound of what looked like freshly fallen snow (shave ice created by a $3,500 machine) with strawberry sauce and evaporated milk. It seemed pricey at $15 but I guess they have to make up for the expense of the machine. I'm on a mission to re-create this mouth watering but simple dessert.
Sushi in Aspen - what a delicious indulgence.
Not cheap, nothing in Aspen is, but worth a splurge.

Visited August 2013

Denver, Colorado
“Always Phenominal!!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

By far the best restaurant in Aspen!!! The Miso Cod and soft shell crab were incredible as always! The service is great and ambiance can't be beat.

Visited August 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Ate in the bar, good as always”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We love to eat in the bar at Matsuhisa. Low key, good fish, good beer. It's not fancy-formal or over the top like many other venues in town, bit sometimes simply prepared, good fish in a mellow environment is just what you need.

Visited July 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Price - value disappointing. Omakasi Grand never again”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have to preface this review with the fact that we are no strangers to high end cuisine and are happy to spend a pretty penny for an outstanding experience. That was what we were hoping for. I sat at the sushi bar and asked the sushi chef to make whatever he recommends. He asked if we wanted to do omakasi I said ok. Then he asked if we wanted to do Omakasi Grand. I asked what the difference was and he said higher quality so my husband and I in the mood for a splurge said ok. We just committed to $175 a piece and were looking forward to a memorable experience.

The first "course" comes out and it's three very small pieces if tuna rolled each with a piece of thinly sliced jalapeño and a small scoop of caviar on the side. It was nice. Nothing outstanding but nice. The second "course" was small Kobe beef with a dollop of rather dry foie gras on top. Good but not great. The third was a lovely tuna belly salad with shredded hearts of palm. Absolutely delicious. The fourth little taster was a scallop with three thin slices of truffle. This was also yummy. By now we are getting warmed up. Sake is flowing next comes four very tiny pieces of nigiri-tuna, yellow tail, scallop eel and snapper. We were then informed we would be getting soup and dessert. An ordinary miso soup followed, and then an extraordinary dessert of shaved ice over ice cream with a berry sauce and some sweetened condensed milk.

I have eaten at Komi, at Jose Andres' Mini Bar, Union Square Cafe and more. My husband and I can throw several 100 down for an amazing meal. But 350 for a few small tasters,none that made us say OMG, and a few we were scratching our heads even to remember. even if each plate cost 25 dollars we still can't make it add up. A total disappointment. We went out to eat after!!!! We were highly disappointed. It's not our first time to Matsuhisa either. We just never did the Omakasi. And we never will again.

I won't even go into the noise at the sushi bar. So wish I could have had something more positive to say. When you count in drinks and babysitter it was a 700 dollar night. Even taking into consideration that its Aspen, I would still expect more.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Good Japanese food”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything was delicious but very, very small portions. I did not find it fantastic since i can get food like this at home in NY.It is also pricey. The waiter was very helpful recommending dishes. We will not be coming back because we felt we did not get our money's worth and we don't like eating in a basement where the main dining room is located. There is outdoor seating upstairs if you can get it.

Visited July 2013