“Good meal”
Review of Hickory House

Hickory House
Ranked #5 of 161 Restaurants in Aspen
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 29, 2014

The disadvantage of saying that you have the best ribs in Colorado is that people will come in with high expectations. I admit that their ribs were very good. They say they get them in Denmark. But I also had some amazing rib dinners while in Colorado and taste buds are so subjective. Don't get me wrong...this was a great meal. But when you go in expecting "the best", it is easier to criticize than if you go in just looking for a great meal since yes, you will get it here. Just not sure it is 'the best'. :-) Service was a little spotty. We were outside dining and there were a lot of tables, so I'm sure they were just over worked. I was drinking only water due to the altitude but our waitress never came by until the end of the meal, so I never got my water glass filled until she brought the check. I still give it a very good rating since the food really was good.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

Nothing in Aspen is inexpensive. But the closet to a value may be Hickory House. BBQ is good, with lots of options for the meat, sides, combinations, etc. Lots of people are seen leaving with a box of left-overs in hand. Draft beer by the pitcher adds to the value. Good outside seating to enjoy the atmosphere of Aspen. A great place for a hearty breakfast as well as lunch and dinner.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

we found the food to be very good, ribs are very tasty. sides are good. nice to
find a real rib place in aspen.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

The food was good. Very plentiful so don't order too much if you can't take it with you.

Issue: The bill came and it was correct. We gave the credit card and when we got the credit card slip to sign the amount was higher. The waiter apologized and took extra off. He said it was a mistake. I can't prove it was done purposely but sure felt like it because the same thing happened in a different restaurant in Aspen just the night before. What's the chances that it was just a coincidence?! Never happened to me before ever. So if you choose to eat there, check your credit card charge before you sign!

The two events sure left a bad taste in my mouth about Aspen. Not sure I'll ever go to Aspen again, very disappointed! Only place worth going is Maroon Bells. Next time we will stay in Glenwood and drive to Maroon Bells for the day.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

We Went with several friends who love/liked the ribs. While they were here before, this visit just an OK in the ribs department

I don't eat meat so there are alternatives for me-BarBQ sauce, onion rings and yes the Salmon was quite good.

While beer is the natural choice here, a couple of us tried the Jalapeño Margarita and really loved it.

Been to Hickory House? Share your experiences!