“"Down home Cooking and local atmosphere"”
Review of Hickory House

Hickory House
Ranked #5 of 160 Restaurants in Aspen
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Reviewed July 10, 2011

If you've had it with microgreens and tiny portions of raw fish at staggering prices, overdone restaurants with wait staff you would rather slap than tip, head down Main Street to the Hickory House and chow down for not too much money. We had a blind rib tasting competition against some Kansas City ribs, and Hickory House came out the winner. (Realize that is an area of personal preference, but they got our vote). Cole slaw, baked beans, potato and corn on the cob, just in case you lost weight on that hike or bike ride. Breakfasts are simple old fashioned food at reasonable (cheap for Aspen prices). Service could be described as doing the best they can when the crowds swell. A real local favorite.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

We had a great breakfast at Hickory House. The service was OK, but it's not fine dining, so what do you expect? The biscuits were wonderful, bacon was great, and the ambiance is comfortable. Much better than a Denny's or IHOP, and has a lot of local "feel".

Reviewed April 18, 2011

My partner and I went to Hickory House for dinner in March having travelled from Australia to Aspen for a ski holiday.

My partner loves his ribs and had high hopes. He was not impressed at all. He was sure that he had tasted better ribs at home and at other restaurants throughout our trip through Colorado. I ordered the chicken and did not think that it was anything special.

Our biggest dissapointment however was the service. The woman serving our table was rude and the whole process of taking our orders and bringing our food seemed like a chore. When the bill came (and despite the poor service) we tipped 10% of the bill. When my partner was away from the table the waitress came over to me and asked where I was from. I told her I was from Australia. She then told me (as though I was completely ignorant) that I was now in the USA and in the USA I was suppose to tip 20-25%. When my partner returned to the table he complained to the manager who was apologetic (without offering us any discount on our bill). We could not believe how rude the waitress was throughout the whole night and her comment to me after we had paid our bill was (in our opinion) completely out of line.
All in all a very dissapointing experience.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

I've been to Aspen twice and both times ended up at the Hickory House. It is relatively small place with a nice colorado ambiance. We went early evening to make sure we could get a table. For a tuesday night the place was very busy with guests wating outside for tables by the time we finished our meal. They offer good quality BBQ at a reasonable price. I ordered a combo platter with 1/2 dark meat chicken and a 1/2 rack of ribs with baked beans and cole slaw. Total price about $16.00 which for Aspen could be the deal of the day!! The beans were not extra ordinary but the cole slaw was good. The Chicken and Ribs were both excellent. For starters our table shared the large portion of fried onion rings. yum.

1  Thank getsmart
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Only place for genuine baby back ribs in Aspen. Forget Annie's. Side dishes complement this dish. So does the apple pie.

Been to Hickory House? Share your experiences!