“Great food and fantastic atmosphere”

French Alpine Bistro - Creperie du Village
Ranked #3 of 166 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Aspen Restaurant Recipient of Multiple Accolades La Crêperie du Village Recognized Nationally Cosmopolitan culinary connoisseurs searching for the elusive triad of a successful dining experience: excellent food, romantic atmosphere and reasonable prices, need look no further. The New York Times, in its February 7th, 2016 section, "36 Hours" in Aspen, Colorado, recommended La Creperie du Village as, "a cozy bistro" and fantastic dining option. Following suit, The Food Network, "...fell in love at first bite," and named French Alpine Bistro La Crêperie du Village as one of the Top 5 restaurants in the United States for Best Romantic Foods, specifically for their famous fondue. The French and Austrian owners have poured their hearts and souls into creating an atmosphere that is best described in one German word: gemütlich. The carefully chosen artifacts and candlelight combine to make this the perfect place for a romantic rendezvous, intimate rehearsal dinner or wedding party. According to co-owner KarinDerly, "We envisioned this as a place for people to create happy, lasting memories." Many many satisfied customers from around the world agree that La Crêperie du Village is a charming hideaway, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains, for lovers to share an intimate meal.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

When you walk in the Creperie du village you already feel good as you are welcomed by a cosy warm setting (candles and stylish interior) which is exactly what you need after a tough day in the summits! . The food is great, I have had a crepe and a raclette which were both amazing, the wine list is very good also. The service was friendly and attentive. La Creperie offers a unique experience in Aspen and I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was really a good experience overall. Is this the best cheese fondue I have eaten, no, but did it do the job, yes. Crepe Suzette was one of the best I have eaten though. So here you will not have a complaint about the food. It seemed like everyone around was enjoying it.

The wine list I found one of the most reasonable ones in Aspen. Good selection, and the pricing is good, there are good bottles for 40-60 dollars and some really really good wines for 150. But you have a choice.

The only reason I gave this restaurant not 5 star but 4 stars is the fact that the ventilation is really really poor. We kind of noticed it a little throughout the dinner but towards the end of our dinner a family ordered Meat Fondue next table the entire restaurant became quite unpleasant. We kind of rushed eating and left but even then our clothes ended up smelling. The rest of the stuff was ok but the fact that I could not wear my scarf for the rest of the trip was a bit annoying ( due to it smelling like fried beef)

Overall good restaurant, good experience, try to go early to avoid the smell ( I guess it gets worse as the restaurant becomes more crowded).

If they deal with their ventilation problem, I would try to go there at least twice in my one week holiday in Aspen.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

So very disappointed. Last meal of our fantastic holiday, we turn to trip advisor to grab a decent last meal. 'Creperie Du Village' was ranked #3, how could we lose? We were directed to a bar seat, which we didn't mind because it gave us a chance to see where the action happens, the kitchen. I really wish I could erase what I saw, unspeakable hygiene standards!! To name a few, dropped toast picked up and put back on the hot plate, dirty rancid water and rag used to wipe down surfaces and hot plates, stirring spoon touching the bin edge before being used again, kitchen staff hair left loose free to drop into food, no hand washing evident... Food: Poor value for money. We went for the raclette, (maybe the safest option as you cook it yourself - apart from the raclette cooker arrived slightly dirty, even worse it went to the next customer with all our crap on it!). Now, if we were to sit at a table away from the kitchen it would have just been the unimpressive food I would have a problem with. The 'decor' is lovely, I upgraded this place from one to two stars because of the effort gone into the decs ...but fact is, you can have the best decorated restaurant in the world but if you don't produce food of a half decent standard you're shooting yourself in the foot. I would say we won't be going back, but we live in UK so of course we wouldn't go back, but if, when we come back to Aspen, and they're still in business, we wouldn't choose to visit again.

2  Thank Bigboytom78
karinschwendtner, Owner at French Alpine Bistro - Creperie du Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Bigboytom, We are very sorry to hear that you did not truly enjoy your dining experience at our restaurant.

We would like to point out though to all our customers and potential customers that our open kitchen has impeccable hygiene standards.

Crepe makers are desigend to be treated with oil before each crepe is made. What you decribe as "rancid rugs" are specifically designed towels we use for treating our hot plates with oil. By any means they are not what you perceived them as.

Our kitchen staff has no hair exposed that could fall into food and all our employees wash their hands frequently all night long.

You mentioned that dropped toast was picked up. From where? Certainly it would not have been the floor.

All Raclette machines are only used once a night and do not go to the next customer without being impeccably cleaned before. Your raclette machine did not arrive "slightly dirty". You are probably referring to its normal wear and tear.

The bar seats that face the open kitchen are some of our preferred seats in the house as our customers love watching what's going on in the ktichen and generally are amazed to see how many menu items we prepare in a rather small space.

Restaurant patrons generall don't see what's happening in kitchens. With our open kitchen we are exposed to customers and we are proud of the magic that's happening there. We would like to invite all our patrons to come and take a look for themselves!

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

As a long time local I'm pretty silly to have waked into town in jeans & sneakers on a freezing lightly snowing night, but I headed out the door unawares as I had this crepe at this place in mind. My advice, stand outside in your chosen outfit for a bit before heading headstrong for such a mission, now go back inside, put on long johns & boots & hoof it into town! (The walk helps with the calorie guilt) Light on the Bananas still came with plenty. If that's the worst part of my day I'm giving today and this visit a 10.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Rafael has not an excellent job of furnishing the Creperie with found/old items making a European
atmosphere is a ski town. Open for lunch and dinner, equally delicious fare. Convivial, warm with good wine, crepes, soup and salads plus seasonal specialties. We go there periodically. Outdoor seating in summer.