“Wonderful food with great service.”
Review of Ellina

Ellina
Ranked #42 of 164 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Dinner at Ellina was by far the highlight of our summer trip to Aspen as far as dining experiences. The food quality was excellent and the service was top-notched. The sommelier made our meal. She was personable and knowledgeable. For appetizers, we had the pork belly which was wonderful and the braised artichoke heart bruschetta which melted in your mouth. For entrees, we had roasted french chic hen breast,oven roasted rabbit and the Colorado lamp chops. All signature dishes and delicious. The lamp chops were the best I have ever had. An overall great evening and lasting memories of great food. Will definitely return to Ellina when I return to Aspen.

1  Thank Londabarry

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We chose Ellina purposefully: we hadn't been to Aspen for a year or two and were happy to be back. We did our gallery hopping (despite the rain) and had our usual happy hour drink at the local Mexican watering hole. All was good.

Then on to the dining experience. Let me first say that Ellina was flexible: they stated over the phone that the first available reservation was 7:45 (in principle, fine). When we decided we were hungry and showed up a little early, they accommodated us without so much as a blink of an eye (that said, they were only 40% full).

The wait staff was professional, efficient and helpful (if not warm/genuine). They made good suggestions and knew their menu well. We chose the heirloom tomatoes with burrata (exquisite) and the calamari (highly recommended). We also had the rabbit (great) and mushroom ravioli (very good, though a touch over salted--and I LIKE salt).

The biggest issue was with the wine. We had had cocktails earlier and decided only to have a 1/2 bottle of mid-priced wine. This seemed to disappoint--especially since I declined the advice of the sommelier(e). When she arrived at the table to pour the wine, she assumed that the person in charge was my dinner companion (a male) and was less than engaging. I probably am showing my age and how easy it is to press my buttons about who is likely to order the wine when it is a male/female couple at the table but she NEVER EVEN ASKED. Sort of disappointing assumption and cast a pall over the dining experience. For a youngish woman in a male dominated profession to assume that the guy is in charge of the experience really left a (pardon the pun) bad taste in our mouths.

I don't think I'll go back and that's too bad. Overall, it was ok as a dining experience, but it a very competitive dining arena, not good enough to compel me to return.

2  Thank Susan J
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had a really good dinner at Ellina. The meals were creatively prepared and delivered as each of us ordered, but something is amiss. Don't get me wrong, you'll have a lovely dinner and the service is pretty darned great, but it feels like Ellina is kinda, well, dirty. I think it's time to give a place a good steam clean. We couldn't help but notice that the stairs were dirty, the carpets filthy and the restrooms, well, enough said. The downstairs area is bustling with business and lively conversation. The wine list is quite good too. I'm told the cocktails were sensational as well. So here's my advice. Go and enjoy and maybe suggest that they give the place a once over.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We were a party of four. ordered the rabbit with a white wine sauce which was Devine, girlfriend ordered the chicken which she loved as well. The other two ordered steak which was delicious as well ( rabbit was everyone's favorite entree). We didn't have starters. The wines were the Waltet Hanzel Estate Chard and Kendall Jackson Cab. Som was helpful and wasn't pushing us to buy exspensive wine. Server was knowledgable. All around good experience. Little exspensive but this is Aspen.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Too many food issues for me to give Ellina a pass. Inquiring of our waiter about how the wild salmon was prepared, he replied that they always served it rare unless requested otherwise. Well, at least they removed the charge for the salmon from the check when I couldn't eat it. Heirloom tomatoes refrigerated as should not happen to tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar drenched rather than drizzled on burrata and tomatoes. Artichoke bruschetta was very good as was chicken ordered by another in our party.