“Cozy place but the food is disappointing”
Review of Pyramid Bistro

Pyramid Bistro
Ranked #11 of 161 Restaurants in Aspen
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“Cozy place but the food is disappointing”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We chose this place for lunch based on the rave reviews. The restaurant itself is very cozy, so is the bookstore through which to get to the restaurant. Everything looked great: the pictures on the website, the look and feel of the dining area, the wait staff, and the presentation of my plate. But I have to say the taste was disappointing. My party of 7 ordered a variety of food but none seemed to be really happy with what they got. I ordered the shrimp stir fry and it was so-so. In the evening I bought shrimp, bell pepper, and red onion from City Market and cooked my own in the rented condo and it turned out much better, which only the 3 above ingredients and salt and pepper, and not very good cooking equipment.

Shawnee Mission, Kansas
“surprises with every bite”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

There is something photocopied about many of the restaurants in Aspen, at least from the outside. They all seem to look the same , especially at night. My husband and I decided to try Pyramid Bistro mainly because it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor.It is delightfully situated above a quaint independent bookstore. We sat inside because of the decor and spacious feeling of the small dining room. I am not vegan , but have been altering my diet in the last 2 years , making efforts to include ancient grains, dark greens , nuts and a whole lot less meat. The menu here is unique. We ordered 2 appetizers, the Kale crunchies and the kale farro salad(sounds like we might have overdosed on kale). The salad had surprises with every bite, containing figs, pecans, brazil nut pieces and so on...the kale crunchies were delicate and baked with nut cover. We shared a main dish, the chicken stir fry. Again, an adventure for the tastebuds. I especially loved the black rice, also called Forbidden Rice. I looked the rice up , and found that it is a Chinese rice that is rich in iron and contains antioxidants.It was delicate and nutty in flavor. We ended the meal with a coconut creme brulee which was exquisite. The health drinks can be custom designed by the diner, I had a ginger, kale(again) coconut drink. After hiking the daunting ute trail , my tired body responded to this meal in gratitude. The food is self-loving!

Orange County, Ca
“Yum Yum Yum!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My stepmom and I were in Aspen and craving a good, healthy vegan dinner. A restaurant in a bookstore? WHAT!#?? Ok, gotta try that place! The food was awesome, the ambiance was nice n chill and the wine surprisingly good for an $8 glass (2010 Altavista Malbec). May was our server and she was not only on top of our every need but also very charming. Even the busboy was really cool. The entrées were each about $20 and the portions generous. Orange County doesn't have anything on this place and I am moving to Aspen - just so I can eat here all of the time :-D

FORT COLLINS
“Have the halibut, skip the dry chicken breasts”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is my wife's favorite--inside the wonderful library, sit outside with a wonderful conifer tree next to you. sauces and vegetables great. My wife had wonderful halibut, I erred and ordered chicken breasts with vegs--just felt like chicken. disappointed. realized it had likely been half cooked earlier in the day, heated up. was dry and I feel tough. should have sent it back. but I had part of the large halibut portion. Dessert was wrong too-a chocolate pudding item-great chocolate, but tasted as it had been in the cooler several days. next time will ask which dessert is freshest. will return next summer but ask more questions!

• Visited July 2013
“Wonderful mix of casual and refined!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The menu items, organic and mostly vegetarian(many gluten free) tasted great. The flavors and colors and flavors made you want to try everything on the menu. Add to that a small but well selected wine list, welcoming atmosphere, and attentive service and you end up very happy. Not a see and be seen place. Just a quiet treat upstairs from what must be one of the last remaining independent bookstores (also a treat!)

• Visited July 2013

Been to Pyramid Bistro? Share your experiences!