“Luxury property in Aspen”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed January 17, 2011

If you're looking for a luxury hotel destination in Aspen over the holidays, there are several options and the St. Regis Aspen Resort is a good one. The hotel always looks lovely decked in seasonal finery. Your experience at the property will be well above average, with a few qualifiers.

1)The property was just purchased which promises a major renovation (all rooms, public spaces) while maintaining the St. Regis name. By the 2011-2012 season, most of the renovations should be complete.
2)Current signature restaurant, formerly a Todd English outpost, is not worth a trip unless a blizzard would prevent you from walking to the many better options in town.
3)Public space for lounging around a blazing fire is limited and seats fill early. Cocktails and snacks for apres ski best consumed in town until the public space for such activity is expanded.
4)The spa is great and will be better after a refresh. Beware that you may be required to trudge through a room full of Aspen glitterati in your spa robe should they be holding a special event on the lower level of the hotel where the spa is located. We took photos in our robes at the event's logo wall to much applause by the party goers and paparazzi.
5)Breakfast buffet, included in the room rate during Christmas week, is nice but a bit hectic. We're hoping that this improves next year.

As with many American ski resort properties, service can be inconsistent. We did see consistency and get exceptional results in the following areas: concierge, valet parking/doorman, housekeeping, ski shop/ski valet. Food service can be greatly improved for a 5* property. While very good, it is not yet exceptional or outstanding. Hopefully the renovation will address this, too.

This was our 3rd visit in 4 years and, yes, we'll be back next year.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TPATraveller

Reviewed January 13, 2011

The St. Regis in Aspen is a great property with a fanstatic attentive staff. We have been going there for 5 years and I must say each year it keeps getting better. The food and beverage has made signifigant improvements since they have brought in a new chef. Our son is 8 years old and just loves all that he can do on property. We spent 2 weeks at the hotel and enjoyed all the area has to offer. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone with or without children. We will be returning next year. Well done to all.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

The St Regis- Aspen consistently provide our family with an outstanding Winter vacation..
the hotel is perfectly situated to enjoy both town and slopes, The Hotel finest feature is it's Professional and curtious staff, always willing to assit and provide any detail to make our stay pleasant.
The food is delicious especially breakfast. The ajoining ski shop is also a ture benefit with service orientation and prodcut knowledge that is beyond expectations.
I stongly recommend this Gem in the Rockey Mountains for an outstanding Winter vacation.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

I just had to share my experience with this hotel. I am a gold member Starwood member and try to stay at Starwood hotels. I travel a lot.

Around the holidays, I was booking a lot of stays and made one at the St. Regis Aspen for Valentine's Day and my birthday. My husband found out soon after that he has a trial scheduled for that week so we had to cancel our reservations. A MONTH AND A HALF OUT.

I was using points and cash for this hotel. But the hotel charged us over $1000 in cancellation fees. I understand it was my fault for not reading the fine print on for the cancellation policy. But seeing as it was a month and a half away, I thought they might make an exception and refund that fee.

They aren't and I cannot believe this. I will be canceling my Starwoods Credit Card and will not be using a Starwood hotel ever again.

DO NOT MAKE A RESERVATION AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: January 2011
9  Thank RSESanFrancisco
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2011

Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to you for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I know that you have since spoken to my assistant and that this matter has been dealt with accordingly. It is my hope that we may welcome you to The St. Regis Aspen in the near future. Once again, my sincerest apologies. Senih Geray, General Manager, The St. Regis Aspen Resort.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed here right before Christmas, and it was nicely decorated with a beautiful large fireplace in the lobby bar. The rooms were appointed with average furnishings. The restaurant choices were not plentiful, nor was the menu. The biggest disappointment was the staff was not friendly and not service minded. Every time we walked through the lobby, the front desk people looked depressed. I was always the first to say "Good morning, or good afternoon," and if I didn't they wouldn't even look up. The concierges seemed as if you were bothering them when you asked about places to go sledding, or best ski lessons for kids. I almost always tip even for the slightest info, but I just couldn't do it with this snobby crew. In the room they had one of those annoying you touch it, you buy it mini bars and I almost left with an $80 bill for a bag of peanut M & M's. Seems my kids must have been "touching" the expensive liquor. I bet a lot of people get charged for items they didn't buy because they don't look closely at the bill before they check out. Also, when we arrived they asked if we wanted a a daily newspaper and when we wanted maid service. Tongue in cheek I said " I don't want to know what's going on in the world, and I'd like maid service at 11. What did I get? A wasted unread paper every day and the maids came after 2 O'clock. Why even ask? Geez. The good? The location was great, and it was one of the nicer hotels in town even though they really could do a lot better.

4  Thank MelissaBradley
Reviewed January 8, 2011

My first and last experience at a St Regis. St Regis Aspen is a real disaster, a total disappointment. I really thought Starwood had created the St. Regis brand to offer something like the Four Seasons or the Ritz-Carlton, but nothing to do with it, nowhere near. My stay at the St. Regis in Aspen at New Year’s and the first week of January was characterized by unprofessional, very unfriendly service and overcrowding. I thought this was because the hotel was full in the last days of the year, but it was just as bad during the first days of January, with much lower occupation. I would like to share a few details that illustrate the service at St. Regis, or as they call it, “beyond your expectations.”
1 > On arriving no one is there to receive us and we have to wait 15 minutes at the front desk to check in.
2 > In the process nothing is ready, and what’s funny is we’re asked if we want morning or evening room service; we say we’re used to having both (no problem).
3 > In theory we have butler service, for which we have to wait another 10 minutes after check-in to be taken to our room.
4 > The butler does nothing during the entire stay, with no initiative, and when asked for something looks at you dubiously.
5 > Breakfast is complete chaos where you literally have to “hunt” for a table that’s set in a hurry without changing the tablecloth from one guest to another.
6 > The buffet is complete, but everything is dirty, messy, and the juices aren’t natural.
7 > To get an omelet you have to get up from the table, stand in line at a bar where you have to fill out a slip with the kind of omelet you want, note down the room number and then go back five minutes later to get it (the waiter can’t even bring it).
8 > At breakfast you can run into the window cleaners inside the dining room (with no uniform and all their squeegees and buckets).
9 > Waste removal at the hotel is every two days at eight in the morning with the attending noise in the rooms close to the loading dock.
10 > Room service/housekeeping does not clean the rooms, or change the bathrobes.
11 > Eating in the lobby takes an hour and half for a simple and bad plate of pasta, and then the food and beverage manager sends a bottle of champagne to the room with apologies (I don’t want presents, I want good service).
12 > The ski valet is just a simple ski watchman who’s no help.
13 > The hotel doesn’t offer courtesy car service and you have to take a taxi to get around the slopes.
14 > The restaurant has only four entrées and four main dishes without a maitre d’, and waiters who don’t know how to serve champagne.
15 > Room décor is OK, they’re nice, but even though they’re new they’re run down and poorly lit (I suppose to save).
... I could go on, but I think this is enough.
The only good thing at the hotel, the spa, the New Year’s supper/party (the hotel didn’t organize it) and reception.
It’s a pity that St. Regis offers this experience in Aspen. Aspen doesn’t deserve it. Aspen is an incredible destination with charming people (except at the St. Regis), incredible skiing and fantastic restaurants (Pacifica, Gisela, Il Molino, Cloud 9, Ajax...). A 10 for Aspen and a 0 for St. Regis.

8  Thank JCUR
STRASPEN, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest, on behalf of the entire staff at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, I would like to say that I am very disappointed to hear about the service issues and challenges you experienced during your stay and would like to offer my sincerest apologies that it was less than you expected. I have received your comments through other channels and will be in touch with you under separate cover. Thank you. S. Geray, General Manager

Reviewed January 6, 2011

I booked a room in the residences for the Xmas holidays and expected top-notch service based on the price I was paying per day. Here is a list of the problems we encountered: the residences did not have a current manager, car didn't pick us up at the airport as arranged, the concierge gave us another person's itinerary for the week and when I said it was not ours she argued with me, we were given someone else's luggage, they lost a package that they had already confirmed was there--we called for it 5 times until it was found, and this was just in the first 2 hours. It continued into room service got our order completely wrong, housekeeping didn't come at the scheduled times, the dryer didn't work and the engineer was nasty to me when he came to fix it, there was some previous guest's underwear in the washing machine, the room spelled like cigarettes during the last 3 days and they were unable restrict smoking in the hotel even though it was permeating through the air vent system, and finally there were no amenities in the room such as drinking water. I think this list speaks for itself, which is a shame because we have had a good experience in the hotel portion of this St. Regis many years ago. The one good thing was that the hotel's front desk manager, Justin Barnard, went above and beyond his responsibilities in trying to make us happy, even though it was not technically his area to handle.

6  Thank AsISeeIt37