“Finest Customer Service”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We just spent a couple of nights at the St. Regis in Aspen. Granted, it was a mere one hour drive from our home in Vail, but felt like a true vacation due to the level of service this hotel provides. Check in was flawless, the room is modern yet timeless in decor. The bathroom is a fine size and the beds...heavenly. We brought our two children for a quick Memorial Day weekend getaway and they each received a complimentary FAO Schwartz teddy bear with St. Regis outerwear! The lobby lounge is comfortable and the service quick and friendly. Turn down service was thorough; robes and slippers out, night lights, bose stereo giving out a lovely medley of spa-like tunes. Everything you'd expect from a St. Regis. The pool was well maintained and the Aspen trees were almost in full bloom - lovely flowers as well. All in all, we couldn't have asked for anything more. The staff was lovely - from the bell stand to the concierge. Very well located downtown and within walking distance to everything. We can't wait to return next month, as we've already booked a couples only weekend!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy V

Reviewed May 10, 2008

my husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. we were upgraded to a 1br suite due to spg plat status. room was very well appointed w/lots of space, fresh delicious fruits, cholocolates and large 5 piece bath with beautiful marble. bed was comfortable and the suite had two flat panel tvs. hotel and spa staff were wonderful. I asked for a spa early in the morning, the concierge made the app. for me (spa opens @ 10) and when I arrived for the treatment I was already checked in and ready. The spa facilities are very nice and treatment staff were talented - thanks Laura!!! Great location... 1 block from downtown. Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler8Colorado
Reviewed March 28, 2008

What can I say about the St. Regis in Aspen--it is wonderful! We stayed in the hotel in a 1 bedroom suite for 1 night before moving to the Residence Club for the remainder of our stay.

The Residence Club is truly special. You have your own check in and your own concierge that's completely separate from the main hotel. They have a huge selection of movies that you can check out (for no charge!) We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 and a half bath unit. Full kitchen with a dining room and large family room with a sleeper sofa. Washer/Dryer was great to have. This is definitely the way to do a ski trip. The feel of this resort is elegant but comfortable. It is definitely a great place for families--our nine year old loves it here. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly and eager to help. Although I must point out that by the end of March, most locals in Aspen are fed up with all the tourists and their "entitled" attitudes so my advice is to just be nice and smile and hopefully they (the locals) will be nice back.

The food in the hotel is excellent--all the in-room dining choices come from Olives and they were very fast with the orders. Great restaurants to choose from in Aspen--highly recommend Cache Cache, D19, and Takah Sushi

Housekeeping was excellent--always cleaned while we were skiing but never came to early or late. Turn down service at night is not just turn down, but another quick clean too which was nice. They'll empty the dishwasher too--wish I could bring them home with me.

Ski conditions were amazing and did the majority of our skiing at Snowmass. Our nine year old did lessons with an instructor there and it was great. The other family that stayed with us had their kids in ski school and both were skiing very well by the end of our stay--they were 7 & 4 and had never skied before. The new Treehouse Village for the kids is awesome. Most people with kids ski at Snowmass--there's just alot to do there and there are plenty of easy greens and blues to ski. Aspen and Aspen Highlands are definitely for more experienced skiers and Buttermilk is small but fairly easy. The snowboarders really enjoy Buttermilk too. Public bus transportation is very reliable and efficient--you really don't need a car at all this time of year here. The buses run about every 10-15 minutes from the bus station to all the mountains and it's right across from the hotel. The hotel has a couple of cars too that will take you anywhere in town. And Aspen is very easy to walk around as well.

Remede Spa is one of the nicest facilities I've been in. The relaxation room with the oxygen treatments is amazing and snacks, teas, citrus water, & champagne are abundant. Had a massage and a facial and they were great!

Highly recommend this resort if you're going to Aspen. It's expensive but well worth it.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank cjmeg
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Well, I wrote a good review on this hotel because we were satisfied with our stay in this hotel in May 2007.

Exactly 6 months later, one day before Thanksgiving Day, a mysterious charge of $1385.92 appeared on our credit card statement.

So, we contacted Regis Hotel and inquired them about this matter. They denied having any records of our stay in May 2007. They asked for copies of our bill and fax it to them. And so we did. They said the name on the reservation was changed to some Hispanic name using our credit card.

It was a big hassle for us to rectify this matter because we had to report a credit card fraud case to our credit card company and cancel our card.

Our first stay in this hotel was great, but, we didn't expect this hotel to employ dishonest employees who would tamper with their client's credit card information.
So beware of this hotel.

Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank denver_traveler2007
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I have stayed at St Regis properties for many years and have come to expect a certain level of service and accommodation under this brand. Unfortunately, I can say that the Aspen property falls severely short in many, if not all, categories I have come to expect, especially at the price points charged during the high season. The prior review to this one was spot on and my experience was not unlike the issues others have mentioned in prior reviews.

First of all, the rooms at this resort are some of the smallest, poorly appointed I have ever experienced at this price point. For two women traveling together with a lot of gear (for skiing) as well as the type of destination that Aspen is, the room appointments are completely unacceptable. Even if the rooms are small, Starwood should overcompensate in the appointments and service to make up for it. Some of the details below are an example of very simple appointments that were missing in a property of this caliber:
• Room safes should be digital. I don’t want to worry about carrying a key with me everywhere or worse yet, forced to leave the key hidden in the room. People who are paying $1300 per night have valuables and old fashioned room safes with keys are unacceptable at this price point.
• Lighting should be adequate. The room was dark and I could not even read a book in bed or see adequately near the desk areas. I requested a reading lamp and after 3 attempts ended up with another large lamp next to the bed that now takes up the whole bedside table. We have to put the phone on top of the alarm clock to make room to put a book on the table.
• Electrical outlets completely inadequate. There are too few areas to plug in devices (phone etc) and when we asked for a coffeemaker in our room, the bellman had trouble finding a place to plug it in. One plug on only one side of a two sink vanity makes it impossible for two people to dress at the same time, especially two women. The bathrooms are too small to have only one place to plug in a hair dryer or shaver.
• Tub/Shower. If you must have tub/shower combination make sure the shower head is clean and updated and please make sure the bathtub drains. Ours did not. Bather #2 had to stand in 5 inches of dirty water from the bather before.
• There is limited drawer space and we were forced to live out of our suitcases because the storages space was so inadaquate, we couldn't unpack all our things. This is a ski resort. People who come here have gear.
• Provide more hooks to hang stuff. The bathroom could easily have more than one hook behind the door so one could hang more than one robe or cosmetic kit.

Front desk and management. Obviously things can never be perfect at any resort and the job of management is listen, understand and try to reduce the escalation of an unhappy customer when things do go wrong. Before I go into the most problematic issue at hand though, I would like to say that most of not all the junior staff is excellent. They are polite and responsive; especially Doug at the front desk, our floor butler and Pelu (pronounced peru?) who drove us to the Highlands Monday morning. However, management response during the first 24 hours of my stay, was a disorganized mess. Clearly I was having issues with this property and I was forced to raise them with a myriad of “managers,” most of whom either did not communicate what was going on to each other, and none of whom seemed to identify who was really in charge of resolving my requests. After repeated calls to the desk the evening of March 2 asking for a room change, I was told a “manager” would contact me the next morning. They did not. The next morning I called I spoke to three people who finally referred me to the “supervisor at the moment.” After a very long conversation and a list of options, I asked for another room, preferably, a bit larger with better drawer space and a digital safe. That was it. This person assured me that the resort does have rooms with digital safes and they would be able to accommodate my request. Rather than get even more upset than I already was, we decided to ski for the day and the front desk assured me this would be plenty of time to arrange a room change and they would move us while we were gone for the day. We spent over an hour repacking our belongings for the move.

After the experience I had upon the arrival and all the issues I really expected management to come through with the new room. Upon arrival at the front desk around 5:30 pm, tired and wanting to rest, I was told there was no new room, and they were willing to “show” me the only alternative which was a smaller one bed king room with same kind of safe. At this point I was very upset that management assumed that an acceptable resolution was a room where I would have to sleep with my friend in the same bed. At this point I asked for a refund of my stay or a solution outside the hotel.

After more back and forth, the assistant front desk manager appeared and it seemed to me she was more interested in shutting me up than resolving anything. She told me to go back to the room. Her solution to my issues was a move to the Hyatt for $2100 per night.

Finally I was contacted by the director of Rooms who personally took care of some of our issues, and kindly provided us with a bottle of wine and two massages at the Spa. The thought was very nice except that the Spa is so disorganized that when we arrived for our treatments, they claimed they did not have a record of our reservation even though I had reconfirmed our appts 2 times that morning. This must be a common occurance since the next day I overheard a very disgruntled customer who was very upset that his appointments had been lost as well.

Again the St Regis isnt worth it. While most hotels in Aspen are over priced for what they are, at least at the Nell, you get a better location for the money.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank cmandell
Reviewed March 5, 2008

This is a wonderful property. We did not stay in the hotel part, but the residence section, where we had a two-bedroom apartment for the week. The hotel is beautiful and the lobby is great with a large fireplace. The outdoor pool is nice and there are two hot tubs. The property is in central Aspen, so you can walk everywhere. We ate at Olives for breakfast every morning and ate there a couple of times for dinner. The food is ok. It is better for breakfast than dinner. Highly recommend staying at the St. Regis.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank doctoradler
Reviewed February 25, 2008

The St. Regis was great. We stayed in the residence which is the way to go if you have kids. The rooms were great. Having a full kitchen with kids was amazing. The decor was amazing. We had a fabulous time. I loved it more than little Nell especially with kids-alot more to do. The spa is amazing especailly the oxygen room which we went to often. the outdoor pool and hottubs were a big hit with the kids. the only negative i would say was sometimes the service was not as amazing as you would expect especially paying what you are paying. I would defiantely go back it was so much fun for all of us. Great memories

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family