“Underwhelmed”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here over New Years and for the price we were paying, I was extremely underwhelmed.

First the high points:
Concierges were amazing and did a fantastic job of getting us dinner and lunch reservations at an extremely busy time. The female concierge who's name I've forgotten was particularly friendly and helpful. Really great.
The Chef's club: WOW. A truly spectacular dining experience. If you are staying in the hotel do not miss the opportunity to eat here. Our waiter Mark answered all our questions and could have talked about the food all evening. The food and service was fantastic.

Now for the low points:
We arrived late in the evening but I felt our check in experience was disappointing. There was no warm welcome. The guy seemed inexperienced and nervous. Not what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel.
The room: beautiful furniture and fittings and a comfortable bed. Maybe we were just unlucky with location. We were at the side of the hotel with little natural light and mostly looked out on to wall with the jacuzzis to the side.
We left early in the morning to ski but 2 out of 5 days arrived back after 4pm to find our room still wasn't made up. Overall wasn't impressed with the housekeeping. Very standard. Rang twice for an iron which never appeared.
The Lifts: There's two lifts but one was broken our whole entire stay and the other kept breaking so you'd find yourself either taking the service elevator or waiting for up to ten mins for the lift.
Hot water: There was no hot water at one point. Again not what you'd expect at a 5 star hotel but again probably one of those annoying things that broke and was fixed asap.

If I was returning to Aspen in the future I believe my money would go further in some of the other hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheStRegisAspen, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay, we truly value the feedback from our guests. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the services provided by our concierge and at Chef’s Club by FOOD & WINE. We are proud of this innovative concept that brings the pages of the illustrious FOOD & WINE magazine to life, showcasing some of their Best New Chefs at our resort.

We are sorry however, that we fell short of expectation in other areas like at check in and housekeeping. We also sincerely apologize for the issue with the hot water and elevator, these unexpected service issues are always a disappointment not only to guests but to us as well. While we were able to fix the hot water quickly, the elevator unfortunately needed a special order part and took longer than expected to arrive.

We hope that you’ll return to The St. Regis Aspen Resort again so we can show you the signature St. Regis service we are known for.

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Aspen Resort

Reviewed January 30, 2013

During my stay at St Regis I decided to stop at the Shadow Mountain Lounge and try a few of the cocktails I've read about. Impressive! Byron was first class and extremely fast. Our cocktail waitress Tara was very socialable and provided top notch service! You MUST visit the St. Regis when you're in Aspen!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Awesome_Dude1

Thank you so much for your feedback, we truly delight in hearing from guests about their experience while in residence with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the signature St. Regis service we are known for and that in particular the associates in the lounge were able to make your stay one to remember. We hope you return to Aspen soon and visit The St. Regis Aspen Resort again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Although it was summertime when I visited here, I had wonderful time here.
Butler service and ride service satisfied me.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Our stay over New Year 2013 was just lovely. The St Regis Aspen is a true 5 star hotel. The rooms are great and the skiing and proximity to the hills and Aspen town is fantastic. Loved the hotel and service. Ski shop folks were so helpful. Only complaint is that the cleaning staff constantly walk in your room. We are on holiday - do not disturb sign on or newspaper at door not picked up yet. Why is that such an issue at this hotel? Otherwise, this hotel is great and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Nosda
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Every year I'm in town I spend some time at the St. Regis, and in particular, the spa. It's a beautiful setting and the therapists are excellent, but I have to say I was disappointed this year. My treatments were great, but when I went to use the waterfall pool, it was too cold to stay in. It had been heated, but not much and definitely wasn't the relief from the cold weather that it had been in years past. The ladies' hot tub was fine, but the steam room wasn't working either. There was no indication that anything wasn't operational when I arrived, so this was all trial and error. When I spoke to the staff up front, they said their engineers were trying to fix a problem with the steam room, but no offer of coming back to use the facilities when they were fully operational was made. I went to the oxygen room and asked for a glass of champagne, only to be told they were out of champagne. I was very skeptical that the St. Regis in Aspen was cleared out of champagne, and when my friend questioned it, two glasses were produced. When I picked up the car, it stank of cigarette smoke. No one outside at that time was smoking, so I can only assume it was someone who had had the car while it was parked or being moved. Normally, this spa is a highlight of my trip and worth every penny, but next time I'll be calling in advance to make sure everything is working and stocked before I book.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
TheStRegisAspen, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at Remede Spa at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. We appreciate that you are a repeat guest to our spa and have enjoyed both our signature Remede treatments and our dedicated therapists in our spectacular mountain setting. We are sorry however, that this most recent stay did not live up to our high standards and your previous stays and expectations. It is always unfortunate when unexpected maintenance issues impact our guests long awaited day at the spa. Please contact us at Aspen.spa@stregis.com so that we may further remedy this situation with you personally.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I recently used a 5-night starpoints reward at St. Regis' Aspen property and could not be more pleased with the experience. The rooms and bathrooms have been beautifully refurbished with gorgeous fittings and Ralph Lauren furniture. The staff are normally spot-on offering the formal service you expect from a property carrying the St. Regis name, but still casual enough so that it does not feel pretentious. Public areas a fantastic and we enjoyed the hotel's premier restaurant, a partnership with Food & Wine Magazine. After this stay, it will be difficult to entertain any other option for a stay in Aspen!

1  Thank UrbanVenturer
TheStRegisAspen, Public Relations Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your most recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. We pride ourselves on giving guests bespoke service and experiences that are beyond expectation while they are within residence. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all of the renovations the resort under went, including the newly designed guest rooms and our restaurant, Chefs Club by FOOD & WINE, which showcases up-and-coming visionaries from FOOD & WINE’s Best New Chefs list.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Aspen anytime to enjoy another extraordinary stay at St. Regis.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Ski vacation to AspenSnowmass. Resort was about expected for 5-star hotel.
PRO:
- Great room. Had a room upgrade and a great view of the mountain, courtyard, pool.
- Bathroom under-sink lighting is motion-activated. Great idea - just enough non-direct light without blinding you awake.
- Location is walking distance to shops and restaurants.
- Also 2 blocks to get to free bus shuttle to the other mountains - Buttermilk, Snowmass, Highlands.
- Front desk was helpful and friendly.
- Mrs. Munchies had a great time at the spa and loved the Remede bathroom products.
CON:
- Location is 2 blocks away from main Aspen ski lift. Hotel is not ski-in / ski-out...hotel offers a free shuttle but was easy enough walk in boots & skis.
- Paying for in-room wifi internet is annoying ... it's 2013, wifi should be like hot water & electricity.
- Pool and hot tubs are not directly next to hotel. About 30+ second walk from lobby. They are right next to St Regis Residences (condos?) which are attached to the hotel.
- No bar service to the pool/hot tubs. However, there are heated towels.
- Ski valet at hotel front entrance -> drop off skis is easy. Picking up skis requires going across the street to the actual ski shop where they're held overnight.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple