“John would have been very proud of this place! Kudos to Aspen!”

The John Denver Sanctuary
Ranked #4 of 102 things to do in Aspen
Houston
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“John would have been very proud of this place! Kudos to Aspen!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We really stumbled upon this park on the way back to the Public Parking Garage on the south side of town. We were headed back to the car from the City Market & I saw the path leading down to the river just before Rio Grande Park. My family was tired as we had walked all over Aspen already, but humored me & down the trail to the river we went. What a beautiful trail. My wife was taking photos of the river & the small stone ponds with waterfalls & eventually we came to a large boulder with a poem or song engraved on it. I looked past this boulder & then I saw it- "Rocky Mountain High" engraved on another boulder. I looked around me & saw another boulder with "Rhymes & Reason" engraved on it. Another boulder confirmed my suspicion- it was like John Denver's epitaph. There are rock benches to sit & take in the sound of the river & the peace of this place. I so regretted having left my guitar back in Leadville....I will come back to this place one day again & I will play Rocky Mountain High to John as a salute to one of the best songwriter & singer I have had the pleasure to listen to. Aspen should be highly commended as they are building such as beautiful & serene place. I can just imagine that John is giving his thumbs up to this tribute. Very much worth the visit.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jose M

Covington, Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“loved the views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

the walk from the lodge was easy and he view were beautiful and easy access to the town when walk was over

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Janet D
MN
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 373 helpful votes
“"Rocky Mountain High"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a lovely spot to visit and enjoy some downtime at. The tribute to John Denver with many of his song lyrics carved in boulders is quite impressive. In addition this a great place to shoot some nice photos of the mountains. Wander about, sit, relax and enjoy the clear mountain air. It doesn't get much better than this!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank 2TravelersMn
Edgewood, New Mexico
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Worth a trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you happen to be a John Denver fan, as I am, then going at least once to his sanctuary in Aspen is worth the trip. It isn't that far from Denver on the Interstate and parking is easy and, for the most part, free. It is very peaceful here and very nature oriented, as I'm sure Mr. Denver would have wanted it. The lyrics to his more famous and well-known songs are carved into the boulders and the tranquil sound of the lazy river within a stone's throw is refreshing. I think it's a great tribute to a great musician and nature-lover and I'm glad that it was erected here in Aspen with the Rocky Mountains looking down rather than in a big city.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank sandiablonde
Saint John, Indiana
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Very Peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Walked around a little, lots of construction and the bridge to the other side was not open. The area was very nice, a short walk from the downtown area. Lots of people walking dogs. The setting had big boulders on either side of the walk way. Wish we could have seen more of it but what we saw was very nice.

Visited May 2013