“Nice quiet place”

The John Denver Sanctuary
Ranked #4 of 108 things to do in Aspen
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We went thru Aspen, because seriously as many times as I have been to Colorado, I had never been to Aspen. Beautiful touristy place, but across from the Chamber of Commerce there is a park, and close to the river (or stream( is the John Denver Memorial. Nice, groomed, quite small, but a tribute with his songs etched on the boulders, flowers blooming. Across the stream on our way out, we stiped at the Aspen art museum, and toured the old two story bulding with art and photography.

3  Thank OneSoaringSpirit

Reviewed July 2, 2011

A small, pleasant and respectful site between a rushing creek and a construction project crowded like everything else in north Aspen into a space that suggests without faking it the beauty of wild Colorado and the bustle of a popular town. Of the five lyrics I counted engraved on boulders four were among the worst by this fine songwriter, being the kind of gauzy and nonspecific poetry beloved of seventh-grade girls who enjoy English class. Maybe they were his attempt to meet the taste of someone dear to him who did not, according to his memoir, care for his music much. It is most fitting that a sanctuary like this should exist to the memory of one who may have done more than any other in the 20th Century for the prosperity of Colorado and the preservation of its wild Western beauty simply by celebrating that beauty in heartelt popular art of a very high order. // I parked a block north of the main street, behind the police department, I think, and walked down and north, bearing right (east). I believe you turn right before the broad footbridge over the creek and follow the curve of the sidewalk. Glad I went.

4  Thank Venturesome
Reviewed July 14, 2010

John's music was a big part of my life. I can remember where I was and what I was doing by listening to his songs...each has a special memory attached. It took me 2 years after his death to be able to listen to them again, and to watch his movies. But this summer I was lucky enough to be able to visit the sanctuary. It is hard to find, but worth the search. It is just a small granite rock and wildflower sanctuary. But sitting there among the boulders with the words to his songs engraved, was peaceful and healing. I suggest every fan of this man's life, try to stop by at least once....just to fill your heart with the beauty.
Sincerely, Elizabeth Robert

11  Thank Overthehillfan
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'd heard much about the beauty of Aspen in the winter when skiers and snowboarders congregate to navigate the nearby mountains. I wanted to experience it in the summer when the warmth of the sun brought non-skiers out to hike and experience downtown Aspen.
High on my to-do list was the John Denver Sanctuary and I was delighted to find it to be so accessible to everyone. My husband and I visited the Sanctuary three times in two days because each visit brought something different. The song lyrics on the massive rocks were a reminder of more thoughtful days. Many people came and went during our visit, each one with a different reason for being there. Children climbed on the stones while their parents ran their fingers along the engraved words. Dogs played in the river while their owners sat and enjoyed the park.
We also stopped by the Windstar Nature Conservancy in Aspen to view the statue of John Denver and learn about his work for the environment. It was also spectacular.

16  Thank stlwazzy
Reviewed May 30, 2008

The John Denver sanctuary is not listed anywhere in the travel books but after asking at the visitor's center, we found it located on the river by Rio Grande park behind the soccer fields.

I had the good fortune to be in Aspen on the 10th anniversary of John's death (October 2007) so it was somewhat healing to read his words on the large rocks that were inscribed with his songs. All the favorites were represented: Annie's Song, Rocky Mountain High, Rhymes and Reasons, and eight or nine others. The sounds of the river, the wind in the trees, the absolute quiet of the area all added to the ambience of the place.

I definitely recommend all John Denver fans to ask around and go visit this sanctuary. It's something you don't want to miss.

26  Thank marfishbar