“Should Have Obeyed My "Chinese Food" Rule”

Aspen Mountain / Ajax
Ranked #7 of 110 things to do in Aspen
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as "the athlete's mountain," expert skiers flock to its challenging slopes.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Every time I eat Chinese food I promise myself never to eat it again. My last visit to Aspen about 15 years ago prompted me to promise myself never to return...but, I broke that promise just like I have with Chinese food. Anyhow the promise made 15 years ago was precipitated by our commercial flight out of Aspen airport being "bumped" by several private jets that had priority takeoff slots. So, my wife, myself and our two children missed our connection in Denver.

Thinking things at the airport may have improved, we returned. Au contraire! The airport is still a mess. Our flight from Denver was delayed and for some reason it was decided to bring the luggage by truck from Denver to Aspen. Of course, upon arrival, our luggage was not there but about 300 people were along with several hundred bags scattered all over the baggage area. Everyone was scurrying about looking at tags to find their belongings.

The only info we could get was that the truck would arrive about 9:30. So, we went back to the airport at 10PM, searched the tags, and found our luggage.

Even though the skiing was excellent, the "Chinese Food Rule" prevails: NEVER AGAIN!!

All reviews
in 30 reviews
"summer"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed March 7, 2014

In addition to having spectacular scenery the entire area was one of the most welcoming places I have ever visited. This includes Ajax, Buttermilk, and Snowmass mountains.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Ajax may not be the biggest resort around, but it makes up for it in quality of trails. If you are a good skier, the FIS chair lift is excellent, same for the Bell trails like Bingo Glades. Hyrup's and Kristy are fun too. Note: these are all difficult/expert trails.

Summer/fall is fantastic too. Take a hike or run up the Ute Trail and then Gentleman's Ridge to the summit. Especially in the in fall -- it's not called "Aspen" for nothing! Spectacular.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Despite it's small acreage, Ajax remains a "must" on the list of any serious skier. It's been around for a long time and was one of the first great ski hills developed in the American west. Ajax is geared for the intermediate to expert skier, there are no green trails here-although some of the "blues" leading to the Ajax Express lift aren't really that difficult. For a small area there is a ton of variety here. Famous "bump" runs on Bell Mountain. Fast cruisers serviced by the Ruthie's double chair. Steeps such as the mine dumps and gladed runs all over the place-Ajax has it all and if you get bored with that try searching for some of the "shrines" to famous people and places that have been established at various secret locations on the mountain, something that is unique to Aspen. I've enjoyed skiing here over the years, the only complaints are that the lower mountain (visible from town) can get extremely icy at times and some of the lifts (Gent's Ridge) are woefully slow. Yet that's not enough to deter me from skiing here!