“Very nice B & B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
River's Inn & Swiss Cottage
Ranked #1 of 4 Antonito B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Interesting historic house with comfortable rooms, great food and friendly helpful hosts - what more could you ask for ? We were greeted by April with an upgrade to a larger room than the one we'd booked, + smilingly shown free tea and biscuits which were very welcome after our drive over to Antonito from Durango. We very much enjoyed our 3- night stay at the Rivers Inn + also liked the easy driving on traffic free roads in the area including the beautiful 50-mile drive over the Cumbres pass to Chama. All in all a relaxing experience in this home from home and we will certainly book again next time we're in the area. Antonito itself has nothing special about it except the Cumbres & Toltec Railway ( which is an absolutely superb trip)- and this perfect BB. Long may they prosper.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tienshan

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The River's Inn Bed and Breakfast was the perfect place for our one night stay. My husband and I rode on the Cumbres Toltec Scenic Railroad from Chama, NM, to Antonito; the River's Inn was a short walk from the train station. River's Inn was a great place to stay, very comfortable, well appointed rooms, excellent service, and a wonderful breakfast (Thank you, April). The house is charming; it was built in the early 1900's, and has been well maintained. The home is filled with antiques, hardwood floors, and period style furniture. We chose to stay in the Jordan Suite; it is a beautiful, spacious room with a king bed. The bathroom is very large!
I would recommend the River's Inn B&B; my only disappointment was that we couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda W
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was actually my second time recently visiting the River's Inn B&B. The first time (October 2013), I stayed in the Sargent’s bedroom, and more recently I stayed in the Roosevelt Suite (April 2014). Both were wonderfully comfortable with period style furniture, decorations, etc. The house, built in the early 1900s, created as a model of a house in upstate New York, has such a cozy, warm, and home-like feel to it that one doesn’t even need to travel out to other areas (in and around Antonito). One could easily enjoy a delicious breakfast, and comfortably just relax in the River’s Inn whilst admiring history throughout this beautiful Victorian style home. Or, perhaps you want to simply spend time on their front porch or lounge to relax, or read a book. Oh, and the breakfast, was exclusively made to work with my food allergies. They are quite happy to help you with such personal needs. All you need to do is let them know ahead of time (perhaps when you book your stay).

Upon arrival, I was greeted by April and Tim (ideal B&B caretakers), and Ursula (proud owner of the historic River’s Inn). I found them to be quite delighted of their community involvement and knowledgeable of local (or valley) modern day and days of past insight. From the moment I arrived, I felt the environment in the River’s Inn to be warm, loving, inviting, and open-armed……somewhat you would expect to experience when visiting distant relatives. I have never experienced anything like this. No comfort or details were overlooked in making your holiday the best it can be. All is provided. Feel free to ask April or Ursula about anything regarding residential or local community history. For example, I enquired about the gorgeous River’s Inn ceiling lamps, and suggestive places to visit nearby to eat or to visit of interest if I were to go out to wander around. What followed was a wealth of knowledge of all the above. No, I didn’t get a pamphlet stuck in my hand. I got a face-to-face conversation packed with local insight and suggestions.

Now, as a pleasant surprise, during my downtime, I learned that the River’s Inn also comes with its own slice of paranormal fun. No, there was nothing scary experienced during either visit. I have had someone (that I can’t see) sit on my bed, whispers in a silent room while I read, children (who were not there) running down the hallway, an odd piece of furniture move on its own, but the most fun was the moving of a personal item (my watch) from one side of the room to another. As a lengthy historic researcher and paranormal investigator, I found this prankish behavior to be quite enjoyably fun.

For all these reasons, and more not covered here, I am already looking forward to my next visit at the River’s Inn B&B, and I hope you will as well. ~ jake

Room Tip: Don't recall asking or seeing a pool or fitness center. I very much enjoyed my stay in the Roos...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jake J
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I spent one Saturday night in the Jordan Suite last week. The mansion has been beautifully refurbished and restored from what I remember growing up. We had company in the form of paranormal investigators from Westcliffe, Colorado. The four of them including the hosts were very delightful people and we enjoyed our time conversing with them. The breakfast was spectacular as well as the accommodations. My wife did have an unusual experience in the bathroom that night.
She was getting ready for bed when she seen the shadow of a little girl standing at the bathroom sink. Also, prior to going to bed, while seated talking with the other guests, she had the sensation of a young child hugging her left leg. Would we stay there again? Yes, of course.

Room Tip: If your interested in the supernatural, this is "a must stay".
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Very downhome feel to the stay here. Lovely night's rest and great down home country breakfast! Very nice hosts! Antonito is in close enough proximity to beautiful and scenic Colorado as well as New Mexico locations! Definitely recommend this charming B&B.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2014

A group of friends and myself recently visited the River's Inn cottage and were in awe of the place from the moment we entered to the moment we drove away. This is a location that dates back to the early 1900s, created as a replica of a house in upstate New York...believe me when I say there is nothing like this around!
We were greeted upon arrival by April and Tim, the quintessential caretakers of the establishment, and at or request were given a tour on the history. The reason I say this is because upon entering, one can't help but notice the exquisite detailing in architecture, the
painstaking time spent in renovations, and the selective acquiring of furniture to compliment the wooden interior...everything
was warm, rich, and inviting.
The bedrooms were presented as a cozy and quaint space in which to deflate from a tiresome car ride, which was most welcome to us. Towels and sheets were fresh, chocolates and bottled waters peppered the place, and soap was scented with a lavender/lilac combo (my
favorite)! If you spend your evening in the Jordan suite, there is a giant and gorgeous porcelain bathtub that beckons in the ensuite bathroom, and indulgence is fit even for two...according to April, it is one of the original pieces from the
house!
After sleeping like a log, I ventured downstairs in the morning to join my comrades in homemade breakfast...April had made us a hearty spread of eggs, pancakes, and hashbrowns to prepare us for the long car trip ahead. Delicious cupcakes stared us down from their spotlight as the centerpiece, that is until they dissipated as we obliged with guilty pleasure.
Lastly, and this is most important, I cannot speak enough about the hospitality of April and Tim. The two have a laid back, down to earth attitude toward something they so ceremoniously and perfectly apply their passion/experience to (April had mentioned the two had spent years in hotel hospitality). In my experiences with staying in an unfamiliar place, the difference is in whether or not you are treated as family. With the River's Inn, I
couldn't help but feel right at home.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The Rivers Inn & Swiss Cottage is a very lovely, clean and great place to stay. I have stayed there
many times wen passing thru and have never been disappointed. Good food, comfortable, and upon occation have enjoyed visiting with other guests. They also enjoyed there room, food and Ursula hospitality. By staying there you are close to different train rides, Sand Dunes for sand boarding etc,, If you love the outdoors, sightseing, this the place to stay. I can't say enough.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do..

Room Tip: She has different size rooms, depends on what best fits you..
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends