See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

This is an older hotel that is good for an overnight or more. It is right next to the railroad which was desirable for us . Small town with s lot of charm . If you have kids , there is a splash pad in town on the main drag . Breakfast is included near the check in desk . The lady that checked us in was really friendly and added to the charm of the place . The room was clean and the air conditioner worked great .

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank Angela2083
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Clean rooms that do have air conditioning. An older motel that is adequate. Free breakfast is actually day old donuts, coffee and dry cereal.
The manager is great. She works very hard to do everything.
Only complaint is that the beds are like sleeping on concrete.
Not a bad property for the money.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank Debbie P
Reviewed May 29, 2018

I say this a lot here. You get what you pay for. This is the cheapest hotel in town and could use updating. My stay started on the difficult side, as we came in late and they couldn't find our reservation. But it all worked out. Even though the website mentioned that they had "made upgrades to make your stay more pleasant", it is obvious that it is still a work in process. My room had discolored carpet, the heater didn't work well, there was a dripping faucet in the bathroom and the tv was analog. BUT, the staff was not only friendly, they went out of their way to help us when we had a flat tire, on a holiday when nothing was open. If you want a better hotel, be prepared to pay double that at another hotel. There were not a lot of restaurants in this tiny town. But if you want a hotel that is within walking distance of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR, this is the perfect place. The bed was comfortable but there was no refrigerator or microwave. They do offer a "continental" breakfast, which is basically donuts and muffins from the local grocery store. Frankly, there isn't much of an option, so what they offer is pretty good considering where the hotel is. The only thing they did that I was opposed to, was charge for ice. 2.00 for 10 pounds. I made do without ice. But, if you want a cheap place to stay (compared to other hotels) you have come to the right place. But just don't expect perfection. PS I can not tell you about their free internet because I didn't use it. Also, while they have six hookups for rv's, not all of them work. So check first to see if your spot works.

Room Tip: upstairs you don't have to listen to creaky floors
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelwriter52
Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

This inn was actually great, for the exceptionally low price.
The man at the desk told us that one of the local marijuana dispensaries will give you a 10% discount if you show them the key from the inn. We thought that was funny. Recreational marijuana is currently legal in Colorado as of the writing of this review.
I read reviews that complained of the cleanliness, but we stayed here several times while passing through, & both the room and the bathroom were totally clean.

The man that ran the front desk told me that as long as they're not also smoking cigarettes, they allow people smoking the marijuana to stay in the non-smoking rooms, because the smell clears out so fast, unlike cigarettes. I think that's really nice! I'm sure people wish to enjoy their wacky-tobaccy without having to suffer the horrid reek of cigarettes.
I can say for sure that I got a non-smoking room & was happy that it did not smell of any type of smoke.
The Railroad is VERY close by.
Walk around, right outside there are some old trains that no longer run, that you can check out.
There is a nice field right outside as well, that I was able to let my dogs run around in.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CountryGirlFromPA
Reviewed October 5, 2017

We booked the Narrow Gauge Railroad Inn because it was very close to the Combres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and because it was reasonably priced. Our room was clean, cozy, and comfortable. The owner runs a Chihuahua rescue on the motel property and, even though we didn't have ours with us, she scored points from the moment we checked in! The motel, because of this, is very pet friendly with lots of dogs in various rooms. Let me point out right up front, we didn't have to deal with barking or any other related annoyances. We were a little disappointed in the continental breakfast. The first morning was fine; but, when we arrived in the eating area the second morning it was slim pickings.Most of the food was gone, no juice, and a limited supply of coffee. And, we couldn't find anyone to replenish what was a limited assortment in the first place. I guess you really can't complain for the price we paid, but you might want to plan to have breakfast elsewhere, which is what we did. Also, the free internet was slow and spotty, very aggravating. Again, I guess you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor, unless you have issues with stairs. There is no elevator. The people above us kept us awake the first night.
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple