“Greetings from your favorite Concrete Cowboy & Cowgirl from NY”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
New York
“Greetings from your favorite Concrete Cowboy & Cowgirl from NY”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Greetings from your favorite Concrete Cowboy and Cowgirl from New York. According to your latest RTR Newsletter all is well at the Ranch even the dogs. Every time a Newsletter arrives out comes the photo albums from 1997 and 1998, and Will Dudley's CD. We still talk about the Hayrides, the famous Rodeos, the great horses, the good looking wranglers (guys and girls) and who could forget THE FOOD. I'm enclosing my email address so that Doug can put it in his hat. I hope you all have a healthy and prosperous Summer. Thinking of you fondly, Bob and Viola Black

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConcreteCowgirl33

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Golden, CO
Reviewed March 12, 2010

The Rainbow Trout Ranch is one of those special places on this Earth. It's a place where the Van Berkum family made us feel like one of their own. It's a place where we rejoiced in nature's incredible beauty. It’s a place where a guy who rode a horse for the first time on Monday, competed in a rodeo on Saturday. It’s a place where I felt like I was living in luxury in historical cabins and a lodge 100 years old. It’s a place where my kid caught a bigger fish on his Super-Man fishing rod than I did on my fancy fly rod. It’s a place where I connected with people on an overnight pack trip the way you only do around a campfire. It’s a place where I sang songs with folks I hardly knew a few days before, and where I hoped to meet them again the next year. It’s a place where my son tasted his first cup of coffee. Rainbow Trout Ranch is a place where I learned the “cowboy way” and remembered what’s important in life. And, it’s a place I’ll return to every year.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ddriggs
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Our family of five (children ages 11, 8 and 5) visited Rainbow Trout Ranch to celebrate a 40th birthday and it was the vacation of a lifetime. Every aspect of the Ranch and the daily activities exceeded our expectations. The food was spectacular - home cooking at it's best. The cabins were private and lovely, each in it's own wooded setting, and cleaned daily. The scenery was the most beautiful I've seen, both on the ranch and on the trail rides. But what made this vacation so special was the Van Berkum family who run and own Rainbow Trout Ranch. They take a special interest in each family and truly make you feel welcome. They see to it that 'your horse' matches your personality and you match its. We left feeling relaxed and refreshed and made some good friends to boot. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Fieldsfive
Salado, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Rainbow Trout Ranch……a fun vacation adventure!
If you are an experienced equestrian RTR is the perfect fit, don’t let the word “dude” steer you in a different direction. My family has extensive experience showing and training quarter horses and we had a blast! The horses at RTR are all quality trained individuals that know their job and take care of you, no matter what your skill level.
You have options on what type of ride you select, if you feel like a slower pace the mare & foal ride is nice, or if you want to challenge yourself and view beautiful scenery try the waterfall ride!
The caring family, staff, location, historic lodge, food, cabins, fishing, horses, and pool all make this a wonderful location to slow down and listen to the silence.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Third visit - all in September when the leaves are changing! Beautiful golden aspen trees!!! It so happens that the 2nd and 3rd week of September has been adult only week. So relaxing whether you ride, fish, hike or swim (in pool). The riding is my favorite as they pick the perfect horse for you - based on your experience and any specific requests. The family that own the ranch are great at selecting the staff members, whereby everyone makes you feel at home and remembers you from previous trips. Nice cabins - we had 2-bedroom, with fireplace that we used about every night. Bathroom with shower and warm water! Spent time also relaxing on the porch of the cabin, watching the wildlife and reading. Meals - always eat more than I should, as the food is great - served family style and a good way to get to know the other visitors. Each evening an activity is planned - you can participate if you want - hayride, BBque picnic, dancing, guest singer, games, etc. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cincylady77
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I've been bringing my family to Rainbow Trout Ranch for the pst 12 years. My sons, now 22 and 19, learned to horseback ride here, and have established friendships with other guests, Staff and the Van Berkum Family that will last a lifetime. As a parent, the teen and children programs stand out head and shoulders above any others we've experienced. Whether it is group rides, climbing the Sand Dunes, rafting on the Conejos River, Frisbee golf, or riotous Capture The Flag games, the teen program counselors instill such enthusiasm that my sons can hardly wait for the next activity.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ColoradoWrangler
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 23, 2010

We had the most amazing week at RTR. The kind of vacation that leaves you with memorable moments you hold on to for life. The staff was fantastic!

We flew into Albuquerque and stayed in Santa Fe the day before heading to the ranch. The drive to the ranch from Santa Fe was beautiful and took us through some of the areas that inspired Georgia O'Keefe.

Once you get to the ranch the scenery is beautiful as well. Picture this...riding along a path on the side of a mountain with vibrant red, yellow and purple wildflowers randomly shooting out of the ground along the path's edge, to your left below you is a river flowing over rocks, and across the river a waterfall flows from a crevice in the mountain...as you continue on you come upon a green rolling meadow where cows are roaming and you take a rest and breath in the fresh mountain air.

If that doesn't do it for you, take a ride for the day on the overnight trip, run the horses a bit, and head up to 11,000 ft. and rough it in a tent for the night. Of course, you won't have to pitch to the tent or do the cooking, but you will need to use the shovel for a private trip to the woods. Feast on a true wrangler's dinner and sit around the campfire, tell stories and sing songs if you like. The coffee's on the fire in the morning and the eggs, bacon, and potatoes fill the air with the aroma of true hearty breakfast. BEST MEAL of the trip which is saying a lot becasue they were all great.

Not enough, well aside from the riding and the overnight trip, my husband learned how to fly fish and I used a rod an reel. Now I'm not much for fishing and it freaks me out if a fish actually gets on the line, so I was squeeling when I threw my line in twice and pulled out a 14" and then a 16" rainbow trout. The staff will clean it a cook it for you or arrange for you to have it mounted...PROOF!

You can always take it easy and hang out in the cabin or on the porch or even go swimming to cool off during the heat midday. I chilled out and wandered on foot one day while my husband did some skeet shooting. We hung out in the lodge with some of the guests and staff in the evening and worked on a puzzle and played some games...never did finish that puzzle. Don't worry there's always something to do, like the ho down where they even teach you the steps to do a little dancing.

The ranch doesn't serve alcohol, but will allow you to keep some in the kitchen's fridge or there is a little bar down the road which we hung out at with some of the staff one night and had a blast. Truthfully, you proably won't even think about alcohol while you're there though.

The meals are family style and a great way to make friends with the other guests. Everyone seems like one big family at the ranch by the second day.

If you need more excitement, you can take a day trip and raft down the Rio Grande. We loved it! You'll get wet, you'll enounter some rapids that require a little teamwork, but nothing you have to fear if you mess up. It was a blast! Plus we took in some of the shops on our way back to the ranch.

Memorable experience...

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aficionado1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Antonito
Chama River Bend Lodge
Steam Train Hotel
Steam Train Hotel
#2 of 4 in Antonito
Indiana Jones Bed & Breakfast

Been to Rainbow Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!