“Excellent Week Again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rainbow Trout Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Excellent Week Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I NEVER visit anywhere twice - we like to see and do new things. RTR is an exception. We went two years ago (see my previous review) and we went this year again. If you take into account also that it is a very difficult (and expensive) journey to go to RTR from where we live - the West Midlands in the UK - I hope people will realise what a special place this is. I was really surprised over the comments by RoadTripper 007 and would certainly recommend, as Jane does, that a week in the Adults Only time may have been better. I personally can't comment about the main season since we would never go then as we are not fortunate to have children or grandchildren but the Adults Only weeks are just brilliant.

We have been to other dude ranches in the States and were intending this year to try somewhere else but the lure of RTR was too much. A lot of it is the horses and the way they are looked after. It would upset me a lot if the horses were not well looked after but I don't have to worry about that at RTR. Jane is quite happy to change your steed (as both of us did this year), it is not a problem - she is there to ensure you have a good time riding whatever your ability. And the horses going back to fields at the end of the day is just magical........

We did have a couple of minor problems in our cabin - all sorted within minutes. Food was great - we love Doug and his coffee pots........... Staff again wonderful - no talk about religion just polite, happy youngsters - again a manifestation of what a gift Linda has of employing staff.

As my title says.......another wonderful week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SWeaver12

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Holley, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My friend, Marisa, and I met while we were both vacationing at the same ranch in Wyoming 6 years ago. We kept in touch after that and have met for a yearly "long girls weekend" since then at ranches in North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, Nebraska and this year at the Rainbow Trout Ranch in Colorado. As the title says - we can finally stop looking for new places to go year after year as we couldn't have asked for anything more than what Rainbow Trout offers.

We visited the ranch during "adults only" season for a long weekend in September.

The Staff: Honestly, couldn't ask for nicer and more interesting people. Doug, Linda, Dave and Jane go out of their way to make sure that you have everything you could possibly want. The wranglers / staff were all super friendly and extremely professional.

The Food: Okay, first off, I have to say that someone was genius enough to think of "early coffee service". They will deliver a hot cup of coffee to your cabin at 7:00 a.m so that you can enjoy it while getting ready for the day. That being said, I've never been on a vacation where I have seen people enjoy their coffee so much! The food was very good and plentiful.

The Riding: This is really what we go to the ranches for. Hands down, we both agreed that Rainbow Trout was the best riding we have done thus far. In one ride we were bushwhacking up and down a mountainside, loping through a meadow and then crossing a river. The scenery is breathtaking and the riding is super exhilerating. I made a comment to Marisa when we were on our way back to the airport that not only was the food and staff great, but the Van Berkum horses are hands down the best trained horses we had ridden.

All in all, Rainbow Trout was the best trip / riding we have experienced of all of our trips together. We agreed that we can finally stop looking for a new place to go each year - it can't possibly get any better than Rainbow Trout.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Erin S
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just returned from a week at Rainbow Trout Ranch in south central Colorado, arguably the most beautiful place on earth! Riding and fishing are fabulous, hiking is spectacular! Faith, Hope and Charity are a wonderful hike filled with incredible vistas - the 5:45 am sunrise hike is so worth it! We also hiked to Rainbow Falls with Sam, one of the truly outstanding staff members. Hiking to Elk Creek, hiking along the beautiful Conejos River-all amazing and we can't wait to return. Oh, and can't forget to comment on the wonderful food..great chefs!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sherri S
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

RTR is special. My daughter and I have spent over 12 summer vacations at the ranch-it's that good. Set on the Conejos River next to Colorado's San Juan Wilderness area, RTR has everything you could want in a dude ranch vacation. It begins with a relaxing, friendly western culture cultivated by the VanBerkum family that quickly engages every guest. The food is excellent and plentiful, served in the lodge, by the pool or by the river. Evenings are filled with cowboy singer, Will Dudley, dancing or storytelling. The fishing is excellent. But the activity that my daughter and I enjoy most is horseback riding in the San Juans. We are horse owners, and we love the RTR all day treks to views above 11,000 feet, or loping on trails through Aspen and Ponderosa forests, it doesn't get better. Jane and Dave VanBerkum do an outstanding job of ensuring that the skills of the rider and the horse match. One way you can judge the quality of a vacation experience is by the number of repeat visitors. You will find that RTR is at the top of the repeat list when it comes to dude ranches... We now live in Colorado and still come back to RTR.

Room Tip: All the cabins have wood burning fireplaces, and their own bathrooms and showers. All cabins are equ...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill M
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This place lives up to it's reputation as a first class Dude Ranch! The owners Doug and Linda are salt of the earth, very hard working, friendly, accommodating---really the perfect hosts. My daughters and I recently visited this ranch for the first time and loved every minute of our stay! This ranch is set in a part of Colorado that few people think to visit which makes it the perfect get-away from the crowded tourist destinations. The ranch is on 600 acres of the most gorgeous scenery you could ever imagine. The ranch also butts up agains the Rio Grande National Forest so your horse back adventure is truely epic.The staff is very knowledgable, professional, and will treat you as one of their own family. Look no further, you can't go wrong booking your next vacation with this outfit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sam W
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Everything about our recent RTR vacation was superb! From the moment our family of 6 adults arrived, until the final goodbyes were said, we all had a BLAST. The horse program was beyond our wildest expectations, meeting the needs of the most inexperienced to the most advanced rider. Each and every employee went out of his or her way to accommodate our every desire. The food was plentiful, varied and delicious, our cabin (Birch) clean and comfy, evening activities entertaining and fun, and the other guests delightful. A great week, enjoyed by all!

Thank you to Jane & David, Linda & Doug and their outstanding staff for making us feel special and insuring a superb experience was enjoyed by all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brasher Falls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I own and ride horses at home. I was amazed with the service, treatment, quality, and experience that this ranch gave. When they do not require a tip and you WANT to give them the maximum that I could afford, it tells the story. The staff, owners, horses, scenery, activities, and food are all prime time. I felt like I was safe and definitely was delighted with each ride. The all day rides were breath taking. My only regret is that I had to go home. The aura of the ranch gives you a sense peace and serenity. The family that runs the ranch take care of every need you could imagine. The cabins and lodge are very clean. The activities (which are optional) are so positive and fun. The staff makes you feel like family and you want to bring them home with you. My dream is to take my grandchildren to experience this ranch in the future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that I could help you with. My email is squeakbrookkbf@hotmail.com.

Room Tip: Contact the ranch and have them suggest the cabin that fits your needs. They are different and all...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Katherine F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Antonito
Chama River Bend Lodge
Narrow Gauge Railroad Inn
Steam Train Hotel
Steam Train Hotel
#3 of 4 in Antonito
Indiana Jones Bed & Breakfast

Been to Rainbow Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!