“Rainbow Trout Ranch Colorado”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
Honeoye Falls, New York
“Rainbow Trout Ranch Colorado”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A friend and I just got back from the ranch. I'm not much of a writer but I just can't keep quiet about RTR. What a perfect vacation! Everything was wonderful from the early morning coffee, left on the porch of the cabin, to the evening entertainment. The food was delicious. The setting in the mountains of Colorado is breathtaking. The horses were in excellent health and of sweet temperament. Most importantly, the Van Berkum family were genuine, welcoming and just made us feel like we were part of one big family!

I went for the horseback riding. It could not have been better. The rides were tailored to what the guest would like to do (safety first of course) We were paired with fine horses and I must admit I fell in love with Ford, my mustang. The wranglers were engaging and I always felt as though we were in capable hands. The days were full of sun, wind and amazing scenery. The cool nights were perfect for sleeping

We stayed in a two bedroom cabin which had a living / dining area and bath. We could have a fire in the fireplace but I must admit we spent very little time there as we didn't want to miss any of the on going activity. We hit the pool and hot tub daily after several hours in the saddle. Every evening we were treated to a tasty dinner ...remember to save room for dessert!

I cannot say enough about the staff at the ranch. They were delightful, intelligent, talented, friendly and spirited. A great group! We even got little hand written notes from housekeeping. They wished us happy trails and safe travels. Staff shares meals with guests whenever they have the time. It was such fun to get to know such a delightful group of young people.

Will I go back? You betcha!
Linda Mack

Room Tip: We stayed in Willow. It was perfect for the two of us. It was very quiet and private. The view from...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Harleysville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Rainbow Trout Ranch is more than just somewhere to go on vacation. There is the beautiful scenery, the wonderful horseback riding, the abundant and delicious food and the comfortable cabins. What really sets the ranch apart is the van Berkum family. You feel like an old friend the moment you walk in the door. My wife and I have vacationed here the past 12 years and have will continue to in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Scott S
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our family has enjoyed five ranch vacations over the years. In July 2012 we selected Rainbow Trout Ranch. It was by far the best ranch we have visited. Great owners, staff and wranglers. Very good food, comfortable cabins, spectacular scenery, great horses and riding opportunities and very good fishing. A ranch I would return to again, with or without my teenage girls.

1 Thank Jeff873
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our lives are busy like most families so when we take our vacation, we want to relax and enjoy! Unfortunately, these two words have a different meaning for young adults, just ask our 16 year old son. What's worse, returning from vacation only to realize that you didn't get your monies worth or having to hear your son complain about our 'boring' family vacation?

RTR eliminated these two concerns for us but more importantly, it fulfilled so much more! This vacation is a great value when you consider all the inclusive activities available for adults and teens. We love the location, the activities, the owners, the staff, the accommodations and the food! On our second night there, our son asked us if we could return next year, really :)

So what are you waiting for? Make your reservation today, we did! You better hurry before all the spots are taken. We'll be there in July again...the weather there is so much cooler than in Texas, yippee!

Room Tip: All the cabins are quaint & cozy.
2 Thank txbrod
Golden, Colorado, United States
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My family of 4 has vacationed at Rainbow Trout Ranch six summers now, July 2012 being our latest visit. Over the years, we have experienced so many reasons to love this vacation. Let me identify a few:

1. We have fallen in love with the scenery and arid climate. Cool, clear, crisp nights with beautiful sunny days. The altitude of 9000 ft. is a different feeling, even for my family which comes from Golden, CO. It's like camping, but you get to stay in a really cute, cozy log cabin with a wood-burning fireplace. While the aspen log cabins are original to the property, they have all been updated with modern bathrooms, heaters, and fireplaces. I prefer not to use the heater. Just stay cuddled up to the wood fire in the chilly night, and wait for the sun to warm the place the next day. Like I said, just like camping--but with the amenities of home.

2. When we first started vacationing here, my youngest son was in second grade. He was very independent, and did not like to sit for long. This is a place where you can let your kids play by themselves. That said, they likely will not stay by themselves for long. The other children (and teens, as well) become like a family through the week. By Tuesday, children are sitting at a table for lunch or dinner together, away from their families, so that they can spend more time with their new-found friends. But, back to my original point--the kids really cannot get lost or into trouble outside at the Ranch. There is a playground area, dogs, kittens, hummingbirds, and lots of outdoors to wander. My son loved being able to leave the dinner table when he got restless, and wander outside to the playground on his own.

3. The horseback riding. Wow! I liked to ride Western as a child--went to summer camp a few times in order to have some time on a horse. I was never very good at it, but it was so fun to ride. Well, the experience at Rainbow Trout Ranch is unparalleled, I think. You are assigned a horse for the week and you stay with "your" horse for each ride, and really get to know one another. This allows you to grow as a rider tremendously because you both aren't wondering what you are trying to tell each other--you start to speak the same language. The rides up mountains, through Aspen fields, across rivers--unbelievable! These are not your rote trail rides. You are in control of your horse, and can guide the horse to ride next to your friends and family if you desire--not just nose-to-tail. And there is a ride for every level. Trotting and loping are common, if that is what you like. My favorite is the "Extreme Mosey" ride. Very little, if any, trotting or loping (my back can't take it anymore!), but steep inclines, walks/swims across the river, it is the best and most challenging of scenery rides. You definitely go places you might not consider going by foot.

4. The staff. The family that owns this ranch is absolutely passionate and dedicated to what they do. They take time and care to hire the best staff. They are some of the hardest working people I have seen. And, so interested in their guests. Doug and Linda and the staff will take care of anything you may need while on vacation. David and Jane run the horse program, and they, along with the wranglers, will provide you with an exceptional experience during the week--providing your horse, describing different places to ride, and making sure as best they can that you get to go on each different ride that you want to during the week. The wranglers each year have been very very good riders and teachers. You will be amazed at how they have all memorized the vast acreage surrounding the Ranch, where you will be taken to ride.

5. The value of their all-inclusive vacation concept. When you come to Rainbow Trout Ranch, you will know exactly how much money that week will cost your family. All food is provided--and it is all you can eat, every meal, every day! Good, home-style food. Breakfast by the large fireplace in the lodge. Cookouts by the river. Lunch by the pool. If you catch a fish, they will cook it for you and your family if you want them to. If you like to enjoy a glass of wine or beer prior to or with your meal, you may bring, or send, your own. There is a large refrigerator reserved for the guests to chill bottles of wine or anything else that needs to stay cold while you are there. Riding is included. Fishing--included. Children and Teen groups and activities--included. If you have ever taken an all-inclusive cruise, for example, you will know that rarely is everything really included. And, if you try to save money by bringing your own wine, you will not be permitted to bring it to your cabin. If you have ever taken a family vacation to other fine resorts, you know how expensive it gets once you have paid for all your meals, transportation to different activities and sights, and having to pay for those activities and sights. Reference Disney, for example. Perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime vacation--truly wonderful, as well--but by the time your whole family has eaten and visited several of the parks, you can't afford to go more than once in a lifetime!

Rainbow Trout Ranch has truly made this a great value for family vacationing. Safe and fun for kids, teens, and adults alike. Lots of fun activities every day. You can choose fishing, horse-back-riding, hiking, swimming, resting, reading a book on your porch or that of the large, beautiful Main Lodge. Evening activities, including Western and Square dancing, as well as a professional Western singer, are also all included. Prices are scaled for young children, children, teens, and adults. And, since riding horses is a large part of the vacation for most who visit, if you are not a rider there is a discounted price for you.

If you like playing outdoors, and are interested in a real family vacation you will not be disappointed by Rainbow Trout Ranch. My children are now older teenagers, and they love meeting new teens each summer, and "hanging" with them. This past summer, we brought my parents-in-law along with us, and they, too fell in love with the magic of the surroundings, the people, and the opportunity for a family to relax and truly reconnect.

Room Tip: All cabins are beautiful and livable. If you do not have a large family, you may want to opt for a...
4 Thank Carol D
Penryn, California
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I'm not country and I don't much care for horses or at least not anymore than one who has a passing curiosity for animals does so understand this is not a review from someone returning "home" or a guy that played with My Little Pony as a boy.

In short, and I know short well, simply the best vacation to date for my family of four. When you combine the level of service, the quantity of activities available for the guests and the natural backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, Rainbow Trout Ranch (RTR) is unique even among dude ranches we researched. Ultimately though, the sense of belonging we had during our stay was what made the entire experience so other.

We enjoy the Club Med experience but the groups are large and you seldom meet that many people and becoming more than familiar with them is less likely by trips end, not so with RTR. To be clear, I don't go on vacation to meet people but inevitably do and those liaisons become a part of the experience for the better or the worse. When I said this is like a Club Med for The Duke, I meant it insofar as style is concerned; all inclusive, they call their G.O.'s wranglers, the Rockies instead of the sea, kids club, dancing, shows - you get the idea. But the analogy falls short because RTR extends to the positive where Club Med finishes.

Community is the key factor to the success of RTR - they don't chant you into the group or meet you with a far too happy smile (I'm allergic to this sort of humanity) rather they are quite real and accessible. This is likely achieved from the culture top down because it is exhibited by the owners and their love affair with what they do each day (wish I could say the same for me at my company). We left with new friends made and I don't make myself all that open to that sort of thing as I prefer to withdrawal and watch from a safe distance but their approach wooed me over or sucked me in whichever descriptive is best. THAT is the intangible, the thing you can't quite put your finger on when you go to describe the experience...at least how I see it.

We will return, lid and spurs in tow.

I could not commend a better family vacation to you the reader and the proof is in the pudding because I've been telling all of my friends the same...for what its worth.

2 Thank Lance_The_Short
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had an unprecedented quality experience.
The facility is an enormous log lodge reminiscent of the great lodges of the national parks.
Fires burned in the fire place for breakfast and dinner. At breakfast, fresh yeast bread rose covered near the warmth of the fire. The fall leaves turned while we were there.

Every detail was covered. The staff can not be matched. I understand they are vetted extensively by the owners.

The horseback riding was so fun. All the horses are well cared for, healthy, and matched with the riders.
I loved it. Safety came first. The tack was in great condition. Anyone can observe that these owners love their ranch.

The mountain and river rides in the mornings and afternoons we're picture perfect. The air is crystal clear. I have always heard that it is location, location, location. Rainbow Trout Ranch has it covered.

As a satisfied customer that plans to return again and again, I pay attention to details. This staff does too.

Lastly, the other guests were top " notch". We made friends that will last a lifetime.

LardCake

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lardCake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Antonito
Chama River Bend Lodge
Steam Train Hotel
Steam Train Hotel
#2 of 4 in Antonito
Indiana Jones Bed & Breakfast

Been to Rainbow Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!