“1st visit, family of 5 riders, LOVED IT!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have always been too lazy to write a review although I have studied Trip Advisor for years prior to our trips. I feel I would be doing a disservice to RTR if I didn't give them a glowing review. Maybe I have never felt like I have stayed in a place that was worth the effort to write about. I can't really add much to other reviewers because they have portrayed the place well. I can say that from our numerous trips to Florida beaches and Disney World (which is a different style of trip), we have found a truly unique and completely adventure packed place that isn't filled with cooking and cleaning for every meal at a beach rental or flashing lights, tired feet and arguing siblings at Disney. And I love our Florida trips and have one planned for the fall. But RTR is truly unique.
We were there while there were large family groups of grandparents, parents and all the grand kids and there was also just a father and his young daughter. There were two friends that came to be outdoors and celebrate their high school graduation. And we all had our own adventure that was customized to each and every one of us. The 5 of us came to ride in the mountains even though we (the adults) are advanced horse people with our own herd of horses. They respected our riding abilities and never once did I feel like they didn't appreciate our experience; it was a welcome rest from the mundane horse chores to have someone else do the grooming, tacking, and even have my horse held for me while I mounted and dismounted (in today's litigious world do you blame them for being protective even with the most experienced?)
Our 8-, 7-, and 4-year old children enjoyed their counselors, their horses, their wranglers and when asked, the older boys liked it better than Disney and the little girl found it to be a tie (her one trip to Disney was during her birthday so that would be hard to beat!). As I watched my boys lope along the arena to show off their new skills and my daughter at a quick trot behind them, I knew their riding improved without mom and dad pushing them...which is oh so hard.
The food was excellent, the lodging was rustic but clean and ranch worthy. They even have housekeeping service! Coffee delivery in the morning. The pace was set by us. They would help us be as busy or as laid back as we wanted to be. They would sweep up our kids for an electronic-free day giving them back as much or as little as we liked but sitting down family style to a glorious meal and hear the kids morning/afternoon adventures was always delightful. Speaking of delightful, the Van Berkum family is just that. Sacrificing their personal family time all summer long to ensure that other families/couples/friends/fill-in-the-blank have a wonderful week while doing some out of the ordinary things (line dancing, square dancing, sing alongs) that you won't admit doing to your co-workers but become amazing memories as you drive out the gate for your trek home.
This place may be a stretch for your imagination. It was for mine, especially since I grew up on a ranch myself. But how many all "Excellent" reviews have you run across on Trip Advisor? You won't regret your week in the mountains. It will be an investment in your family...it was to ours and I hope it continues to be so for years to come.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bevpolo

Reviewed March 23, 2012

My brother and I stayed here in Sept. 2005 for a short, but awesome, 3 nights. It was incredible. Amazing scenery, great host family and staff, good food, and activities galore- yet very laid back and casual. My brother and I still reminisce about it and vow to return. I researched every ranch in CO and settled on RTR. It delivered on everything we were looking for. Now go and make some memories. Hey Howdy Hey!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank TangiTraveler
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Going to Rainbow Trout Ranch isn't really a vacation for us anymore; it's a MUST DO! It's just part of what we do every year. We have gone year after year and have made so many friends there who join us. Last summer everyone who began going to the ranch years ago returned---with their grown children! A little girl whose first visit to the ranch was when she was three is now in college. Another who came as an adolescent is now a vet (animal doctor). A third who started out as a little cowboy years ago just graduated from college. He was offered a trip to Europe as a graduation present, but chose the ranch instead. RTR is simply a place that everyone wants to go back to. Sure, the horse program is terrific, the lodging comfortable, the food plentiful and the scenery magnificent, but most of the credit goes to the Van Berkum family. They treat the guests LIKE family. They are warm, caring, and genuine. We can't imagine NOT being there in the summer. Remember that old commercial that said, "Try it. You'll LIKE it?" Well, try it. You'll LOVE it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank peachpitOhio
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We spent a week at the Rainbow Trout Ranch in September (an adults only week) - their last week of the season and had the most wonderful time. The cabin we had was spacious and clean. The food was plentiful and good. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening activities. And the horse-riding.......... We are very much beginners but every care was taken for us. The horses were fantastically cared for and the one chosen for me (Azul - thank you Jane) was a joy to ride. We did a total of 11 rides and did not repeat one! If we wanted to do a particular ride recommended by another guest, then it was arranged that we did it.

This ranch is a family-run concern and every member of the family works very hard to ensure that their guests enjoy themselves. The young staff was excellent (Linda obviously has a gift for hiring people). We would recommend the Rainbow Trout Ranch without any hesitation.

4  Thank SWeaver12
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Our first time visiting Rainbow Trout Ranch was this year. I'm sure it won't be our last. What a great, relaxing and beautiful environment. Everything that Rick B. said on his write-up was absolutely true.
Want to get away from traffic, noise, cell phones, crowds and just relax? Well, just get to RTR. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank FlySlinger
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The Rainbow Trout Ranch is a very well run operation in a family oriented environment. They have excellent staff, horses, lodging and food and there are many options for activities; horseback riding, fly fishing, hiking, or just taking it easy on the big porch. We just returned from out third visit and each time we meet wonderful people and have a fantastic experience.

3  Thank Rick B
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My husband and I started taking our three children to the Rainbow Trout Ranch back in 1996 and we've been back every year since! Now, we are accompanied by our grandchildren as well. It is truly the perfect family vacation because there is something for everyone: activities for the different aged kids; fishing the Conejos River; eating wonderful home-cooked food; hiking the trails; relaxing on the porch of the old picturesque lodge or the porch of your pine cabin; enjoying the breathtaking views of the San Juan Mountains; and, of course, horseback riding. It is the riding program that I think makes this dude ranch stand out among all the others. The emphasis is on SAFETY with plenty of instruction, the horses are excellent, and the trail riding into the mountains is such a heady experience! For teens and adults (and weather and fire conditions permitting), there is even an overnight campout which always proves to be the hightlight of our family's stay. You would think that we would tire of all this, year after year, but we've found that each visit is very different from the last- different guests, different staff, different weather, etc. However, what always remains the same is the incredibly wonderful hospitality shown to us by the owners and operators of the Rainbow Trout Ranch, the Van Berkum family. They have provided experiences that have filled our past with so many fantastic memories and they stoke our imagination for future visits. By the way, I highly recommend a day or two visit in Santa Fe before drivng to the ranch. It gives you a chance to acclimate to the altitude, enjoy New mexican cuisine, and buy western wear (although you don't really need it at the ranch but it sure does make it more fun!). And, I also suggest taking the route up through O'keefe country and through the little town of Chama, NM where you might get a glimpse of the Cumbre-Toltec train. Happy Trails!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family