“Best train ride on our trip”

Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Antonito
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1880 and little changed since, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is the finest and most spectacular example of steam era mountain railroading in North America. Its equipment, structures and vast landscape exist today as if frozen in the first half of the 20th century.
Michigan
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Best train ride on our trip”
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We did an organized tour of Colorado trains, and the Cumbres and Toltec was our favorite for several reasons. The open car offers wonderful views, and the volunteer docent in the open car was very knowledgeable and friendly. Just be sure to wear goggles or something to protect your eyes, though we had less soot on this train than the Durango and Silverton.

Our tour group did not ride the entire route, disembarking past Osier but before arriving at Chama from Antonito. We will remedy that in a month, when we return to do the entire trip with the motorcoach return to the starting point.

Since the scenery from Osier to Chama is supposed to be much better than the part we saw, I am very much looking forward to our second journey on the Cumbres and Toltec.

I agree that this is a secret that you hesitate to share, but since the funding for the train comes in part from the states of Colorado and New Mexico, and is subject to the whims of the politicians, we need to support this great find.

If you even think of trying this train...GO!!!

10 Thank Nanner08

San Diego, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A best keep secret. The Best”
Reviewed July 17, 2006

My husband & I had an opportunity to take this excursion, this year in early July. It was beyond our expections. We really did not know what to expect..as sometimes things are not what they seem...but this is a 5 star +. From the train ride, the scenery & the people that operate this railroad is top notch. Who would think.. Chama, New Mexico. A quiet small town. I can't say enough about the emplyees of this railroad...they know how to treat people. The scenery was pristine, saw Elk..wow..deer. Cowboys herding cattle in valley..the scenery never stopped..my neck was sore from just looking & turning & looking. I have traveled alot over my lifetime & have seen beauty, before it was ruined by too many of everything...this train ride proved it is still out there. This train & the people have not commericalized themselves... We took the train from Chama & the bus back to Chama from Antontio, Co. The bus ride was almost as wonderful as the train ride. The stop at Osier for lunch was most enjoyable & you always meet great people. We drove from Santa Fe & the scenery driving up & back was wonderful, Georgia O'Keefe country..We will go back & do this again next year & maybe stay at these lovely cabins we saw on the Conejios river, on the return route. The Cumbres & Toltec Railroad is a must for everyone! I imagine the fall is heavenly, as the area is loaded with Aspens. Treat yourself, go out of your way to do this, I know you won't be sorry!

18 Thank ZEBRAQUEEN
Blacklick, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Worth the effort!”
Reviewed June 23, 2004

Once in a while you come across one of those places that is so special that you are torn between telling the world, and hoping nobody ever finds out so it won't change. The Cumbres and Toltec Railroad is such a place. Because of where it is located, it is one of those hidden gems. A snapshot in time, unspoiled and genuine. As a casul rail fan, I had heard about the C&TTRR along with the train at Durango and the one at the Grand Canyon. We rode all three on this trip. If you want Disney....ride the others. If you want to know where Disney's inspiration came from, ride this one. I cannot close without mentioning the people who operate the train. The volunteers were knowledgeable, pleasent and passionate. They took endless questions from our 8 and 3 year olds and answered each with care. The scenery and train are worth the effort, the people and I have to mention the food, put it our the top as the highlight of our weeklong trip to the Southwest.

20 Thank Alan P
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love the train”
Reviewed May 20, 2004

We visited Chama 3 summers in a row, beginning in 1999. Each year, we took the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad trip. The first two times, we rode the Chama, New Mexico to Osier, Colorado (lunch stop) and return to Chama leg of the trip. Our last visit we decided to take the entire trip all the way to Antonito, Colorado and return by bus.

We prefer the half-way trip to Osier with return to Chama via the train. The scenery on the second half of the trip (from Osier to Antonito) is not very appealing. The ride from Chama to Osier and back is absolutely beautiful!

For the kids, riding in the open car is a real treat! Except for occasional flying debris from the coal, the open car is great!

I highly recommend this trip to anyone visiting Chama, for the first time, or second or third... I will be taking it again in July when we finally return to Chama for another visit.

38 Thank A TripAdvisor Member