“Amazing, Outstanding, Fabulous...I cant say enough wonderful words about how my family feel towards Harmels Ranch!”

Harmel's Ranch Resort
Michigan
Reviewed February 2, 2010

There are so many fun and exciting activies to do while you stay there, but my husband and I were convined that we wouldnt be able to do those things with 2 small children - that was not the case. Harmels not only offers a "childrens program", but also private babysitting. I was a little leary of this at first - - I mean, who wants to leave their children with a complete stranger while you are off riding a horse up a mountain...? After meeting several of the girls who offered to babysit for us, my opininon changed. The staff at Harmels is One Of A Kind...and KIND they are! They took perfect care of my babies, which allowed me to have peace of mind and actually enjoy the activies we were doing. My kids, LOVED the horse pasture, the playground, the fishing pond, the chuckwagon with square dancing, the horse pulled hayride with live music on it and of course the YUMMY food. You wouldnt think that a 2 year old, would remember a vacation at that age, but let me just tell you that not only does he remember, he asks me all the time if we can go back. We are planning another family vacation there next summer! When this vacation happens, my son will be 7 and my daughter 5 - now I KNOW that they will remember and have an even BETTER time beacuse they will be big enough to do more ! I HIGHLY recommend Harmels to ANYONE. It doesnt matter if you are single, or looking for a romantic get away with that special someone, or taking a family vacation, planning a reunion or anniversary or wedding -Harmels has something for everyone!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank 231tara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We love Harmel's Ranch Resort and all it offers. My husband and I discovered Harmel's eight years ago for flyfishing. We have caught some amazing fish on the private waters of the Taylor River. We also enjoyed all of the amenities: square dancing, white water rafting, hayride, etc. We went back the next year, again just the two of us. We have now taken our goddaughter for the past six years, always accompanied by a friend. She was nine her first visit; she turned 15 this past summer. She has "grown up" with Harmel's Junior Wrangler program. She has gone from knowing very little about horses to spending full days working in the stable and assisting with rides. In fact, her goal is to work at Harmel's during her summers in college! Head wrangler Bode (Doc) and the other wranglers are fantastic in working with adult guests and children. We particularly enjoyed the Overnight Trip to the high mountain camp.

We always enjoy the delicious food at Harmel's. Many resorts try to "cut corners," especially with fresh produce. Not Harmel's -- the fresh fruit and salad bar is always plentiful. In fact, some years, it has been a wonder we weren't taxed a "surcharge" for all of the berries our girls consumed! We have to eat the fresh produce to balance out all of the wonderful desserts that are offered. The steak/crab cookout and BBQ night are among our favorites, but we also look forward to Italian night, the Grand Buffet, and also simply ordering off the menu. We have found that the staff in the Dining Room will meet any request, whether it be more BBQ sauce for the chicken tenders or chocolate sundaes to "go with" the fresh strawberries in the fruit bar.

We are always warmly greeted by the office staff as we return to the ranch. It is always fun to see which college students are back for the summer. These college students are trained by a cadre of experienced staff, and we have had many special conversations with the college students from around the U.S. and foreign countries. We feel very comfortable letting our girls experience "Run of the Ranch" because we know the caring staff is there to serve and educate them. As our goddaughter says, "We HAVE to go to Harmel's. It's a family tradition!"

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Flyfisher56
Los Alamitos, California
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Spent five days at Harmels for a mini-family reunion - could easily have stayed longer. Everyone had a fantastic time. The location is beautiful - remote enough to "get away," but close enough to Gunnison and Crested Butte that you can run back into town if needed quite easily.
We choose Harmels over other ranches because they are dog friendly. Our dogs (three in the extended family) were welcome everywhere on the ranch, except in the dining areas, as should be expected. The staff was very friendly toward our dogs. Lots of great trails for walks.
Service was quite good. No request went unfulfilled. Yes, they do hire quite a few college kids on summer break - but so did all four of the other guest ranches at which I've stayed. Going above and beyond the call of duty, one member of the office staff volunteered to give up two-hours of her off-time one morning to follow us around the ranch grounds to photograph us for a family portrait!
Overall I very much enjoyed the food, which was always varied and plentiful. They did, however, run out of some things (iced tea, ice cream) at odd times. Some in our family thought the food was just ok - I had to agree with them once or twice. Best food of all was served during the cookouts - crab and steak night in particular was fantastic, with all the crab legs you could eat! The restaurant service staff was always friendly and very much on-top of their jobs. Food prep - when ordering off the menu - was usually a bit slow, but there was always a salad bar and buffet to work on while waiting. The view from the dining room and patio was beautiful. Lots of hummingbirds fluttering outside the large dining room windows during every meal - especially breakfast.
Activities, including horesback riding, river rafting, and fishing kept everyone - kids included - busy and well entertained. Fishing, in particular, was great. The Taylor River at Harmels is well stocked. Everyone who tried caught multiple large fish - my pre-teen girls' first fishing experience, and they loved it. The stock pond was a waste of time - spend your time on the river! Did both rafting trips. The upper Taylor is much more exciting, but the Lower Taylor was great too because the ride was easy enough that even grandma could go!
The furniture and style of our room was a bit dated, but comfortable. We had a refrigerator and coffee maker in our room. Other members of our family did have full kitchens. All rooms have TVs that worked only for playing VHS tapes and DVDs, which can be checked-out in the office. There is a large-scree TV in the lodge if you can't do without. The lodge also has a pool table, and wireless internet - though internet service was very slow and unreliable. All of the cabins for our family were within 30 yards of the river - open the windows at night and we could easily hear the water rushing by.
Ranch vacations generally aren't for the budget conscious. We all felt that, everything considered, Harmels was a good value for our family. Everyone in our group had a great experience, and said they'd do it again. If looking for a guest ranch in the future we will definitely consider returning to Harmels!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank LosAlJames
Arkansas
Reviewed August 25, 2009

When choosing a cabin in Colorado we wanted a place that accepted dogs, had good fishing and was a little out of town. Harmels offered all that. The cabin was nice, the grounds were in good shape and my husband really enjoyed the river fishing. They accepted our two dogs in the cabin and did not charge us an additional fee for them. The grounds are also near several good hiking trails.

However, there were many issues. It got so bad that we had to complain to management in the middle of our five day visit.

First of all, they hire inexperience young adults (college students) who do not know the area, cannot answer basic questions and really don't want to go over an above to accommodate guests. I felt like I was stayng at a college campus. The staff who are not working are consistently sitting outside in front of the office and store (smoking, talking, etc). Harmels states it offers free use of washing and dryers and has a sign stating they are only for Harmels guests; however, I had to wait an hour for their staff to finish using them so I could wash our clothes. I visited Three Rivers Resort down the road and overheard their staff who were exceptional in answering guests questions.

Secondly, the food and service in the their restaurant leave something to be desired. We ate dinner the night we arrived and the salad bar was so bad my husband wouldn't eat it. Our steak and salmon came to our table cold. The waiter couldn't answer any questions on menu. We ate there only one more time for lunch which was included in the horseback trip we paid for. The lunch was ok but the service was terrrible.

Third, Harmels pushes you to buy their additional services...fishing packages in particular. They would offer no advice on areas to fish, lures to use, etc. But they would push their fishing guides for a price. Three Rivers fly shop had no issue with offering fishing advice.

Though the cabin and grounds were nice and I enjoyed the area, I can't see myself ever going back there. They really need to invest in staff who are dedicated to their job and want to accommodate their guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MegK2005
LoveColorado123, manager at Harmel's Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
Hello,
I apologize for not responding to your review of our ranch sooner. I want to thank you for bringing this information to the attention of the owners. Some of the issues you spoke of (laundry facilities, and smoking, talking) had been addressed, but others - especially about not getting good advice about fishing - is news to us and will be very helpful in making sure we are more helpful in this area next summer.
Harmel's prides itself on having a courteous and helpful staff. We receive many compliments throughout the season praising our excellent staff. I am sorry you didn't have the same experience. We will be addressing these issues for our 2010 staff.
We sincerely hope you will visit us again soon. Your comments are appreciated.
Warm Regards,
Amie McKown
office mgr.

Travelers are raving about these Almont hotels

St. Gabriel, LA
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Harmel's is a nice place in a great location ... but not worth the steep price. Accommodations, meals, and horseback riding are all way too expensive for the product.

Staff is very friendly, but being mostly college kids with minimal training, not always competent. Buffets ran out of food, for example.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Kiingfish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almont
The Elevation Hotel & Spa
Gunnison Lakeside RV Park & Cabins
Grand Lodge Crested Butte
Grand Lodge Crested Butte
#1 of 7 in Crested Butte

Been to Harmel's Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!