“Really enjoyed our stay”

Three Rivers Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Almont
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in cabin 30 for 3 nights the end of Sept 2013. The cabin had a porch with a picnic table, a living room with a futon and table/charis with a small TV. Cabin had a kitchen (very functional), bedroom and a bathroom (shower only). The bathroom looked recently updated. When we checked in the cabin was clean and was plenty of room for the 2 of us. We didn't spend much time here during the day, we were really only at the cabin in the evenings, but we had a great time and would definitely stay here again. Next time I'd try a cabin on the river.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank In-the-Northwoods

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Three Rivers for a full week in September. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, we were warm and cozy, and the kitchen had all the amenities we could need. If you're looking for rustic cabin near the river, this is the perfect place. They have a ton of different cabin layouts to choose from, and we ended up getting one with a futon and a small living room area, which was great for reading and watching TV at night.

We'll definitely be back next year!

Room Tip: Cabin #23 was secluded and comfortable!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rach0601
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We (3 couples) rented 3 cabins in a row. When we checked in all I wanted to know was where our cabins were and one of the staff, or maybe the owner, was very snippy in trying to tell me. The cabins were not all that clean. There was dirt on the footon that we had to brush off. The sheets on the bed could use some bleach to get the gray color out. Every time I sat on the toilet I killed a big ant or 2 crawling on the floor. There were a few bugs in the bedroom I had to kill also. Thankfully, no bugs in the bed. The oven did not work. I would never stay here again. There are far better places to stay. Gunnison is only 20 minutes down the road and has better accomadations. If you must stay in a cabin on the river, go across the street to Almont Resort.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Herb R
3RiversAlmont, General Manager at Three Rivers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2014

We, as a business, are just getting on Trip Advisor and responding to the reviews. I do not recall this issue but if customer service was a problem, I truly apologize. As you can see from many reviews, we often get great compliments about our service. As far as cabin cleanliness, again, we often receive great compliments on how clean our cabins are, yet we are not perfect and it sounds as if some things were overlooked here. We do offer 63 lodging units ranging from rustic studios to upscale residential-style with private hot tubs on the deck. Because everyone has a different idea of what a mountain cabin should be, I would encourage you to give us another try in a unit that has more amenities but again, I apologize here for any problems and we appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our group of six rented cabin #22 for three days in mid August 2013. We were out most of the day but came home to a very comfortable, clean, modern cabin every evening with a deck overlooking the scenic river. We enjoyed the gas grill and watching the bighorn sheep on the ridge across the river. Bring binoculars! We had a good lunch at the smokehouse. We appreciated the washer and dryer in the cabin. The store had most things we needed, such as ice, beer, and laundry soap, saving trips back into Gunnison. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful. We wish we would have had time for fishing and rafting. note that Taylor River Road is closed a mile from the resort and there is a detour of 5-10 miles up Jack's Cabin Road; it was a small inconvenience driving up to Taylor Park. We will definitely try to get his cabin again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank onemanwolfpack61
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I just stayed for 3 nights in cabin 57. It is one of the newer “cabins” right on the river and directly across the street from the office, restaurant, and fly shop. We didn’t really spend a lot of time in the cabin fortunately as we were primarily there for outdoor activities in Crested Butte and the surrounding mountains. But we thought we should write up this review just so others might not be surprised at what they’ll get renting one of these newer cabins.

The Good - It is literally right on the edge of the river. Open your windows and you hear the river running. Great! 10 steps out your door and you could be in the water. Great! The area between the river and cabins is grass so it's very easy to stroll around beside the river. Great! The cabin was fairly new, clean and functional (albeit very compact – see “the dollhouse” below). They did have Dish TV (at least some of the channels) if you were so inclined to watch a little TV in the evenings. And they had a refrigerator, microwave, and stove.

The Bad - It's expensive for what you get. We of course knew the price going in and thought we'd give it a shot anyway. But for $175 or so per night, it seems way overpriced. We weren’t expecting much of a “resort” and sure enough it’s not. But they do have an outdoor restaurant, fly shop, office, lots of cabins, and a lodge. We didn’t eat at their restaurant (they were having an employee party the night we thought about it and later ate across the street at the Almont resort restaurant instead – very good by the way.) We could not get a WiFi signal in our cabin – it’s only in the office across the street and perhaps the few cabins closest to the road. But even walking over to the office and trying to look up a restaurant on the Trip Advisor web site with our iPad was almost unusable. Excruciatingly slow and had to retry many times just to get the Trip Advisor web site to come up. The TV (if you wanted to use it) is pretty bad. It’s an old VCR/DVD combo TV but it is hooked up to Dish if you want to see something at night or the morning. It was pretty fuzzy but then you’re in the mountains in a cabin after all.

The Doll House - that's what we called our cabin. We said after staying 3 nights in it that we now know what it must be like to live in a doll house where everything is tiny. These cabins are actually prefab trailers. They’re nice looking with siding and you wouldn’t really know they were trailers until you step inside or you see the plaque right by the front door stating the fact. Everything is miniature inside. They tell you about the ceiling height in the their description so they're not trying to hide that. The ceiling in 1/2 of the cabin is about 6' 3". I’m 6’ 0” and had no problems but if you’re much taller you may have to stoop – especially in the shower which was about 6’ 1” clearance. There is about a 1 foot walkway around the bed downstairs – think “room with a bed that fills the room”. The kitchen does have a fridge, microwave, and stove amazingly jammed into a very small space. Not sure you could cook much in there though (we didn’t’ try). There is a small little eating table, a small recliner, and a small sofa bed. I’m not a huge guy but I sure felt huge in this cabin – everything is just pretty small. The best was upstairs in the loft though. Just as it stated in the description, the loft is about 4' tall from floor to ceiling with 2 beds. You have to crawl around on your hands and knees up there so it’s definitely for kids only. I suspect young kids would probably really like it but don’t think adults could really use it. The stairs up to it are tiny and steep too.

If you’re going to be outdoors all day and just come back to the cabin to clean up and go to sleep (which was primarily what we needed), then this certainly does that. But just beware that it is very small and compact.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Phil M
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I told myself I wouldn't go back to three rivers after a pit bull charged into our cabin and Three Rivers staff did nothing to contain the dog or make them leave. This year our vacation was cut short due to a reservation error. We added a day to the start and a day to the end of our stay. On the last day of our vacation we were instructed to "get our stuff out". Please understand I drove 2 days and over 1200 miles. We were informed we were wrong and did not add a day at the end of our stay. Never did the staff mention that maybe they made an error since most of their staff appears to be burnt out college students. Thanks for forcing us to leave In The middle of the day and drive through a horrible thunderstorm and flood that night. The sixth and final stay. Will not be back!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Listwme

As the General Manager of the resort, I am just getting onto Trip Advisor and going through all the reviews posted here. I do remember this incident and it was unfortunate all the way around. This guest booked online with us and we sent a confirmation. At check-in all guests have the opportunity to sign in and verify their check in/check out dates. The guest did this. On the day of departure, the guest did not leave. We tried most of the day to get a hold of them, as we had other guests arriving that same day in that cabin. Finally, we were able to make a connection and unfortunately we had no other cabins for them as we were 100% full. We offered to help them find lodging in the area but the guest chose not to respond to us as he was very upset. We pride ourselves on customer service and you will see that from most of the reviews. This situation was a tough one and happens from time to time where the guest does not realize when they are scheduled to leave.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

When planning this vacation, I had an image of a cabin with a deck overlooking a river so I could fish and my wife and kids could hang out and read. My vision came true with this cabin. The cabin itself was nice, clean, and roomy for the 5 of us, with a decent kitchen, and a nice TV. An added bonus was we had a hot tub, grill and table on the deck. Not all cabins are adjacent to the river, and I believe these are more expensive, but I would only stay on the river. We stayed in cabins 17 and 19 (due to scheduling issues). The resort area was pretty nice. One could arrange for fly fishing, rafting, and horseback riding trips. We did all three and I would highly recommend all 3. We also fished at the pond and on the river below the cabins and caught a few fish in each. The fly shop is staffed by very friendly and helpful people, and our guide was very patient. The staff at the resort range from very friendly to not very friendly. The small restaurant serves good burgers, BBQ, and some great beers and drinks in a comfortable outdoor setting, and the servers were all great. There is a tiny grocery store with some of the basics and beer for sales. Great food is up the road 20 miles at Crested Butte, which is definitely worth the drive, and Gunnison 15 miles to the south which has many casual places, brewpubs and grocery stores. This is a great location for a family vacation. I have two suggestions: the kitchen could be better stocked with staples such as oil and salt and pepper. And the front desk and activities staff could be friendlier and more hospitable. They were a little rigid and not very welcoming and for as much as we spent, we really got no warm and fuzzies from them. But overall I recommend this resort. I would have given it a 5 easily if the staff were friendlier. Note that there are at least 3 other resorts in the area to choose from.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a cabin on the river.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank entrejoes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almont
The Elevation Hotel & Spa
#1 of 7 in Crested Butte
The Inn at Tomichi Village
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Gunnison
Days Inn & Suites Gunnison

Been to Three Rivers Resort? Share your experiences!