“Not a satisfactory visit to Sunshine Mountain for us!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Allenspark
Sunshine Mountain Lodge
Waite Park, Minnesota
“Not a satisfactory visit to Sunshine Mountain for us!”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I would not recommend Sunshine Mountain Inn unless the new owners really take control of the place, and bring the standards up. My daughter and I had the misfortune to have booked two nights with the original owner, Marge, who also required one night's payment in advance. She did not mention to me when taking the reservation, that she was selling the place and new owners were coming in. We arrived the day after the "change of ownership". It was quite obvious things were in "transition", and when we were shown to our cabin, it smelled musty and looked as if it had not been cleaned for some time as evidenced by thick dust on an old radio in the living room area. The only thing that appeared new were the towels in the closet-sized bathroom. We left for most of the afternoon thinking the housekeeping would have been done while we were gone, but when we got back later, that had not happened, and a loud party was also going on in the cabin next door. When it came time to go to bed, I decided to look at the bed linens to see if they were changed in one bedroom, and they were not as evidenced by stains and pubic hair. I then went into the other bedroom, and the same thing. Actually, both bedrooms looked as if they had not been cleaned in some time, and the beds should have been replaced -- they looked like something you get at the Salvation Army. In lieu of the ongoing loud party next door, and the filthy conditions of the cabin, we decided it would not be a comfortable situation to try to stay. We went back to Estes Park and were able to find a clean hotel for the night, and then go on to Denver in the daytime, a day earlier than planned and with more hotel expense involved. I called the owners the next morning after we left, and explained the reasoning behind our leaving and that we would not be at breakfast. I knew they were getting out of town company (the owner's mother), and did not feel that troubling them with our situation was the thing to do on their first day of ownership. In retrospect, I guess I should have gone down to the house, and talked with them. At any rate, as I had paid for both nights (the second night was paid for at the time of check-in) I told the owner I was not sure how they wanted to handle the situation. I have not heard from them since, nor have I received any type of refund in the mail. By the way, if the hot tub was as clean as the cabin we were in, I would be surprised, and the massages were not on site as one was led to believe -- one would have to call out of town for an appointment. I really think they were sold a "bill of goods" from former owner Marge who deceived them at the time of the sale. Hopefully they can make a go of it -- they seemed to be a nice young couple with a dream of owning a lodge in the mountains.

• Liked — The view was beautiful -- God put that there for all to enjoy!
  • Disliked — Filthy cabin.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank MinnesotaBabs

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allenspark
StoneBrook Resort
#8 of 29 in Estes Park
Alpine Trail Ridge Inn
Alpine Trail Ridge Inn
#7 of 29 in Estes Park

Been to Sunshine Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!